Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FM
    luxatio erecta

Salmon LeSac- Esmerelda, Jolly, DeRoux..?

Camping with the family out at Salmon LeSac this week, so I am looking for recommendations on a ride near the campground (I can probably get dropped off at Big Boulder TH, or what's left of it)

I have ridden Big Boulder up to Gallagherhead, down DeRoux, several times... that's probably my plan B. I'd like to explore a bit, check out some new stuff, but can't be gone all day....4-5hrs is probably about right.

I see there are a lot of options, and I'll have a green trails map & gps.
    Any suggestions on the best bang-for-buck starting from the salmon-lesac side?

Thanks

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    For something new, consider no name ridge. I seem to recall a lack of (legal) options for dropping back to that side of the valley though. Might have to be an out and back if not continuing on to Kachess.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cooper River is your "go to" for a quick fix. You can go out past the Cooper Lake CG to the boundary on that two wheeled thingy. Many hide the bike there and hike on to Pete Lake. There is an old road option to the right climbing Cooper River up to the boundary and taking the aptly named Boundary trail back down to make it a little lollipop.

Going the other way right now is sketchy. Still not logged out and plenty of snow up at Gallagher as of the last report. The NW Hiker forum may have new intel. You can try to get to Jolly from there as well and see what you can connect across the ridge towards Sasse and Hex too. My guess is the West Fork Side and Elbow to Yellow Hell may still be bad.

IF you make it up Big Boulder to the first right, you may be able to ride (read: hike) up to the top of Middle Fork. This run down MFT to the Jolly Spur is pretty awesome. Jolly up is also a scree push but would leave you with a great descent back to the Sac.
    Check with Mikki Douglas (former pro DHer) at the Cle Elum RS. It's here moto crew that clears the trails.
    Or, check here: http://cleelumtrails.com/

Report please! Hoping for Esmeralda in a week or two with a swim at Gallagher.
    Last edited by Borneo; 07-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey FM, my wife and I were thinking of giving Esmerelda a go later this week (thursday or friday). Maybe wishful thinking but if it's still too snowed in we will just go ride off the West Fork. I'll give you a call if you'll still be there and we can swing by and pick you up.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Thanks for the info everybody!

Woodway, it would be rad to hook up, but I may be out of your way- we're camping at Salmon Lesac thurs-sun. Keep me posted though!

Given the snow level, cooper river does sound like the go-to... I have hiked the lower portion, even explored an overgrown spur trail to the right, up towards the ridge- wonder if that's what your mentioning Borneo.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. If you look on the maps, climbing, you can go right at the road crossing coming into the Cooper CG and take that up to the boundary and then you take that trail down to the Cooper trail above the CG but below Pete Lake. The section from the CG to Pete is usually pretty nice.

Another option is to hook up with Woodway and his better half at Corral Creek above Ronald and do an upper (Lower) WF loop down the big slab and then cross at Dingbat and head back up. Lots of fun new moto use options out that way and not too far a drive or ride from the Sac. Probably the best bet for a crossing of the ridge line in that area. But, check with Mikki. She's good people and will have the latest intel.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Woodway, it would be rad to hook up, but I may be out of your way- we're camping at Salmon Lesac thurs-sun. Keep me posted though!
    Will let you know - maybe you could get a lift out to CleElum. My wife is not speedy but she is strong so the ride will be at a slow pace.

Cooper River trail - if I were camping next to it I would ride it - but I would not make the drive over just to ride that trail.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Trail report for Jolly as of 6/10/2012 was still lots of deep snow. I believe it - you can still see visible snow above 5000' looking up that way from Ellensburg. Lush wildflower season still underway in the lowlands!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Photo from Gallagher road yesterday (7/1/12):

Mikki's Cle Elum ORV FB group is handy...
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Yikes! Guess Esmerelda is not quite ready to ride...looks like we will ride off the West Fork.

Thx Megan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post

wow...

Paper Street
    Seems legit LMFAO

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

That wouldn't stop a real rider.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Ha. That photo is from this winter, in case anyone missed that...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    There's some good info on the pre-recorded message @ cle elum ranger station.
    Sounds like snow level in the area is generally around 4700'.
    Gallagerhead lake looks to be around 5k'. I know it can get awfully swampy in spots before things have totally dried up.

Might just try an OAB on #1307 Jolly mountain. Never been up there, sounds like it would be worth he effort even if I hit snow early.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I've been perusing the recent (last few days) hiker reports on the nwhiker forums and it looks like Esmeralda is still about 3 weeks away. Several reports also mentioned that they would not attempt the creek crossing on the DeRoux trail yet.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I've been perusing the recent (last few days) hiker reports on the nwhiker forums and it looks like Esmeralda is still about 3 weeks away.
    I phoned Sahaptin Outfitters in Cle Elum yesterday and they told me the same thing re: at least another 3 weeks before Esmeralda will be clear of snow.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Another lower option that may be pretty good now is Iron Bear to Iron Creek or vice versa. Up and over and back with a side trip to the false summit on the way to Miller Peak. TheotherH, you guys may also think about this one as it's heading over 97 on your way to Kettle too by Liberty It's always a good ride either wat. Iron Creek is on the 97 side. May do that on the 14th or 15th?

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Another lower option that may be pretty good now is Iron Bear to Iron Creek or vice versa. Up and over and back with a side trip to the false summit on the way to Miller Peak. TheotherH, you guys may also think about this one as it's heading over 97 on your way to Kettle too by Liberty It's always a good ride either wat. Iron Creek is on the 97 side. May do that on the 14th or 15th?
    Sounds interesting. Is this the ride description for Iron Bear to Iron Creek: Miller Peak Mountain Bike Trail in Washington

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hahaha! Troy would be happy to know people still look at Dirtworld.

Yep. But, don't go right to Miller and just go over and back on Iron Bear. (There is a 4 way at Teanaway Ridge. IF you have some left, go north towards Miller but stop at the false saddle and turn around and bomb back down to the 4 way and then back down Iron Creek. Iron Creek is fairly short but an easy climb and a bomber coming back. I usually pull off at any of the wide spots along the road by the creek a couple miles from the TH in the shade and get a warm up from there. These trails are on the Cle Elum map link I sent you earlier.

Slothful dirt hippie
    FWIW a couple pictures SupahRanger Mikki posted TODAY (July 8) from Gallagher lake:

"...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    We're roasting pretty good over here now, so it shouldn't be long before that melts off. Should be interesting to see what the Teanaway and Yakima look like over the next couple of days. Still practically 100F here in Ellensburg at 8pm. And, bonus cloud cover to ensure that it doesn't completely cool off tonight

FWIW a couple pictures SupahRanger Mikki posted TODAY (July 8) from Gallagher lake[...]

FM
    luxatio erecta

Trail report- #1307 Jolly Mountain

Well, I "rode" it saturday

The upper stretch of 1307/ Sasse mountain trail was beautiful and conditions were encouraging. I explored around a bit, awesome area.
    Views from the top...

IMG_3892 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

IMG_3900 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

Once I dropped into the actual descent, snow in the drainage was deep- and the shady drainage was holding snow down to about 4300'. I decided to go for it anyways...Here's the top... this went on for 1.5-2 miles. Lost the trail several times and had to recon, but made it down.... all in all, a fun day

IMG_3913 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

I'll be looking to try again in August

mtbr member
    I have(had?) Teanaway plans for the 20th-22nd. Not very encouraging pictures!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Looks great FM. Glad you had a good ride. The wife and I went for a ride in the Leavenworth area instead. If you want to get some Esmerelda in August, count me in...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast