Last word is all yours...

Sage Hills conditions info wanted

Hey Riders,

Thinking of visiting Sage Hills again this April/May. Definitely want to catch it during good weather and when the blooms are out.

Cheers,
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

re: Sage Hills Info

What info did you want? The trails are open and in great shape all the way to the top of Sage. I saw my first flowers out today so things will be going off in a few weeks.

Feel free to PM...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sage hills is a place I always wanted to check out
    looking at the trails map it looks like a pretty small
    area , how much time could one spend there
    riding all the trails and stoping checking out
    the views taking pics and such , I would be
    coming from Port Angeles so maybe not worth it
    for only a few hours of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This part of the year all of the lower trails are snow free and in great shape. You could easily do two hours and about 15 miles if you are stopping to take pics and check out the views. Later in May when Twin Peaks has melted out you can climb all the way to the top and then back down through Sage and easily do 3-4 hours of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am thinking maybe middle may, will the higher
    elevation properly be snow free by then?
    what is the best time to check out the flower
    blooms , and I am thinking doing this on my
    29er 32x19 single speed, I am a strong rider
    so unless there is serious long steep hills
    and a lot of them the geared bike stays
    home.
    And which entry point is the better one?
    Any recommendation on decent motels
    in area that is not to much $$

Thanks much for any Info
    Last edited by Lonecrow; 04-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I was over there a couple times last year, once on my SS. I ran 32 x 19 on a 29er and it was ok, but that wasn't going all the way to Twin Peaks from Sage Hills. If going all the way to Twin Peaks from the Sage Hills side, one section would be a push no matter what gear you ran.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, seems to me when Shig gave Happy Trails and I a tour last year we rode it all....
    Geared nice and low, of course. Upper stuff is pretty nice. The loop around the back to Stairway was "interesting". But, Stairway was pretty awesome too. Too bad it's such a long road ride back into town.
    Doing Sage on Saturday and then Xanadu or something else close on Sunday monring before heading back over would be a worthy weekend.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Hmmm, seems to me when Shig gave Happy Trails and I a tour last year we rode it all....
    Geared nice and low, of course. Upper stuff is pretty nice. The loop around the back to Stairway was "interesting". But, Stairway was pretty awesome too. Too bad it's such a long road ride back into town.
    Doing Sage on Saturday and then Xanadu or something else close on Sunday monring before heading back over would be a worthy weekend.
    If we're thinking of the same section, pretty sure you'd be pushing too. Might be a better route that avoids it though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It will definitely be snow free in the middle of May. The flowers will start going crazy in the next few weeks so middle of May will probably still be good. If you are doing Sage Hills proper then your SS will be fine. As Borneo said some of the upper reaches are a long steady climb but if you know where you're going there is only one place that you'd have to walk for 100 yards, or so.

PM me for more info and GPS information
    Last edited by rbwen; 04-16-2012 at 09:16 PM.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Anyone know current sage hills conditions? Thinking about a trip over today to escape the wet side deluge.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you wait for tomorrow, you can carpool with R1de as he was wanting to go over then...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Trails are in great shape. A little rain last night but won't damage the trails. Nice and sunny now

Last word is all yours...

I was, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    If you wait for tomorrow, you can carpool with R1de as he was wanting to go over then...
    Change of plans: I'm going to go splitboarding at Muir. Definitely Sage soon though, before the end of the month.
    --
    -bp