JRA
    mtbr member

Safe Riding at Night

Just saw a factoid on driving at night and that drivers over 50 can need twice as much light to see accurately as a 30 year old driver. Extrapolating that to my life and to night riding ... does this explain why I have this urge to upgrade my bike lights every year? Slowly inching closer to the "magic" 50 ... will I have to upgrade to a 2000 lumen light system for both helmet and bar when I fall off the other side of the age cliff? A person could go broke just trying to see at night!

I distinctly remember when a 5W TurboCat bar light was more than adequate for night riding.

mtbr member
    Ah crap - sure hope this is not the case as i'm already running anywhere betwen 2400-3200 lumen when i'm on the trail. Granted i'm using two lights and not always on high mode though

Ed

mtbr member
    If I get any more light bushes will start catching fire! We have been riding every Wednesday for the past 2 years and I keep adding more and more lights. Atleast I can blame it on getting old.
    Last edited by Mr. Lynch; 11-10-2012 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you aging "younger" Mr. Lynch?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    Just saw a factoid on driving at night and that drivers over 50 can need twice as much light to see accurately as a 30 year old driver. Extrapolating that to my life and to night riding ... does this explain why I have this urge to upgrade my bike lights every year? Slowly inching closer to the "magic" 50 ... will I have to upgrade to a 2000 lumen light system for both helmet and bar when I fall off the other side of the age cliff? A person could go broke just trying to see at night!

I distinctly remember when a 5W TurboCat bar light was more than adequate for night riding.
    We also slow down with age, so it all evens out.

Back-in-the-day I built a 5- lamp halogen system with a total of ~15watts that was described to be bright enough to light up a football stadium.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005
    True, so true. When I did a couple 24 hr races ~12 years ago the old NR halogen with a mighty 10W bulb on the bars let me run laps within 6 minutes of my best day lap. Now my helmet puts out nearly double that light and my bar light quadruple. Now I'm building a new helmet light that will be as bright as my current bar light. It's like being in an arms race with myself.