JRA
    mtbr member

RR: Willows Fjord Whuppin'

Visited a "hidden/forgotten" local gem last evening after work. Willows Fjord is in great shape with all the trails brushed back quite well. There's still some foliage to contend w/ in places but things like the nettles aren't overhanging the trail waiting to pounce on unsuspecting riders. Got tagged in the ankle by a yellow jacket on the south portion ... dang but that stung. At least I only got tagged the one time.

La Brea Tar Pits are now completely bridged w/ a really bulletproof section of bridging. Kudos to the locals who have been in there and improved that section. If nothing else, folks should wander into Willows just to admire the bridge work.

As usual, Willows laid down a high intensity whuppin' on me. Very surprised to see the inverted "canoe" section of log at the top of We Who is still in excellent condition, helping to carry riders over a big hole in the trail.

If you live nearby, Willows is hard to beat for a quick, technical, high intensity ride. Ride to the trails ... stop by Black Raven afterwards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I wondered in there during the winter riding my bike randomly around Redmond (bored, etc)... It seemed like the trail ran behind all the corporate building on the opposite side of Willows than the train tracks. Is this the place you are talking about? There was some fun trail there but was super wet and most bridges were destroyed...

JRA
    mtbr member
    Yes, that's the location. Southern bridge is the one which has been improved/extended. The other two north of La Brea are being talked about by the "bridge design team" for replacement. They're rideable now but need some help.

Willows Fjord is definately a location that needs time to dry out and is much better when it's dry.