Slothful dirt hippie

RR: Whiskey Dick near wind farm OAB

Decided to recon the area and see how conditions are out there. Last night a small rain/snow cell really hammered the crap out of the area but the day dawned below freezing and clear, then climbed all the way into the 50s with a mild east wind and low humidity. tl;dr summary: it's almost ready, but still just a little bit early. No flowers out yet and the roads aren't baked down so it's slow, 'like riding on gym mats' as someone around here once said.

It actually wasn't as unrelentingly goopy as I'd feared, so I made it to the top of the ridge and back. However, I did get into some mud on the north side of a valley the road goes across. Result:

This is the type of thing I'm aiming to NOT have a bunch of folks drive 100 miles to experience. Although if my fork crown were just higher, I could finally say I test rode a 29er...

jjcarr- Here's some rocks for ya.

This is the 'volcano puke' that one can run into around here. I did NOT ride this as it was too steep, too loose, and spotted some hedgehog cactus down below this point and decided I'd drop the bike and just hoof it the last little bit to the summit... the bike photo op wasn't worth destroying rare plants and/or flatting over.

More pics of ward's country:

More view out east- to the right is Frenchman coulee, and to the left I believe is the Ancient Lakes coulees.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cool M, i think it would interesting riding by the those wind turbines as well. It's amazing how many of those suckers have popped up on that hillside over the past few years.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

builder
    Feb 2009
    It was a great spring day; Shiggy and I were across the river at Ancient Lakes. I'm sure that he will have a post on our trip. Conditions were considerably drier with lots of dust in the horse ditches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cool VSR! Busy this weekend but considering a re-con up Parke Creek next weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DP, we followed your tracks today I believe. Dusty was the word. Geez. It's only April 8th....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    DP, we followed your tracks today I believe. Dusty was the word. Geez. It's only April 8th....
    Lots of bikes (and other users) out there yesterday. Over the last three years it has been about the same in April. AL dries out fast, early and gets soft. Was lots of fun this weekend. First ride of the year in short sleeves and summer gloves.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

builder
    Feb 2009
    I think I know how Dusty Lake got it's name. I enjoyed the switchback section between Ancient and Burke Lakes.......going down anyway.