Slothful dirt hippie

RR: Whiskey Dick loop 4/14/2013

Desert: it's what's for breakfast, lunch, and not quite dinner... yet...

We decided to reprise our Whiskey Dick loop, but add another wrinkle (as if it's not got enough going on already, lol) and load up with our entire bikepacking kit to make double-plus-sure it was going to work for us.

The good news:
    - flowers are out! Phlox & balsam root are out in force, and hedgehog cactus and lupine have just started!
    - the bikepacking kit only slowed us down a bit but the bikes remain quite useful and remarkably maneuverable
    - we managed to dodge some hairball storm cells rolling through
    - the corn snow pellets we were hit with coming through Hell's Kitchen weren't plentiful and didn't amount to much

The bad news:
    This route is NOT getting easier. Nature is reclaiming the old road bed at swift pace, and I fear that in a few more years (and a couple flood events) this loop may not even be possible any more.

Husby, experiencing The Kitchen Sink Effect due to his groovy new backpack. But he was OK with carrying it, so I'm OK too, lol.

Hedgehog cactus.

The best possible camping spot we located on-route just north of Kohler Spring. AKA The Elk Convention Spot.

Looking down into Kohler spring towards the Columbia.

Husby digging out food on a quick stop, that cloud above/behind him making us very nervous. We did a snack instead of a meal and turned & burned for the truck.

We made it, and dodged the rain in the process! Mojo loaded down with full kit and sacrificial tube from my rear tire tied onto my pack. I don't think this was what the Ibis designers had in mind, but it works.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Great trip report, thanks!
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like a dry ride! Could you send me the track for this?
    Thanks!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post
    Looks like a dry ride! Could you send me the track for this?
    Thanks!
    PM me with an email address and I'll dig something up. Just be aware that this is THE most remote area I've ever wandered around in. Or as Ward calls it, "Washington's Outback". Severe terrain, limited water sources, basically NO cover for riding out the sometimes freakish weather*, rattlesnakes just to make things more interesting, and if you screw the pooch in here it's very serious business. Or as I tell my husband "it might take a long time to find the body....." Use at your own risk!

* we had corn snow pellets falling on us in 50-something degrees when we started out. Then it got up to 70-something and sunny in the canyon. Then the storm cell rolled towards us, dropping temps back into the 40s as we gunned it out of there ASAP. Fortunately the storm passed to the north of us, but we were sweating it.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."