mtbr member
    Aug 2006

RR Stafford Creek & Navaho Pass.

3 of us had a great ride on Sat. Some riding up and some hike-a-bike up...great weather and high alpine trail conditions with loads of flowers and views. Descending 3000' was loads of fun. We saw probably 20-25 hikers and all were very friendly and chatty. There are a couple blowdowns on the final push going up to Navaho pass.
    Highly recommend this trail if you enjoy alpine routes.
    RR Stafford Creek & Navaho Pass.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372087363.471847.jpg
    RR Stafford Creek & Navaho Pass.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372087377.521880.jpg
    Cheers
    Mike

mtbr member
    Would love some more detail i.e. mileage, total time etc....
    I used to spend a lot of time in the Teanaway but never did rode this or Standup....
    need to do some research. Thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

The conditions were perfect for us. No snow and mostly hero dirt. The route we took ended up with roughly 12 miles and 3000' gained and descended. Most of the trail is ridable but a fair amount of hike-a-bike going up. Time wise...we were on the trail for roughly +3 hours. +2 hours up and 47 mins down plus some time to enjoy the views.
    Hope you can get up there and enjoy this trail. This is just one of many great alpine MTB rides up the Teanaway valley.
    Here is Evergreen's write up on Stafford.
    http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/wiki/...Stafford_Creek

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    come back down to the fork and take Standup creek to make a loop out of it. Beautiful red rock basin back there, and smoking good downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

So, which is an easier(less hike a bike) for going up?

The flowers were really pretty as well.

I'm also trying to figure out a MTB route up there that provides views of Mt Stuart. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Mike

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I haven't gone up Standup, only down it. Stafford is definitely the preferred route up IMO.

mtbr member
    Graham and I made an attempt to clear Standup about 2 weeks ago. We cleared the bottom but about 1/2 up it got seriously overgrown. I dont think it would be a fun downhill right now andis only going to get more overgrown. Preston-Is the top worth the bushwacking and the boring lower 2 miles?
    We're thinking two possible rides.
    One-go up Beverly to Bean across Standup and down Stafford. Two good bits of hike a bike but killer Stuart views.
    Two-start off Highway 97, climb Iron Cr, down Bear, Up Safford, return.
    Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Reviving this one....was thinking about checking out Stafford this weekend but after talking to Cle Elum Ranger Station and looking at WTA trail reports sounds like it's a mess up there with blowdowns, washed out trail and snow level still fairly low. If anyone has been up there or is going out that way let me know what you find. Thanks

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yeah, not surprised. I've been attempting to talk Dan into doing Miller w/ me on the Iron Bear side as an OAB this coming week, but reports are that while hikers are getting through there's a big drift preventing the motos from getting through. The ride is hard enough already... I'll wait a bit longer....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."