Slothful dirt hippie

RR: Roslyn Ridge 3/29/13

Got my first spin on the ridge today. Still short bits of snow to push through on the upper part of the race course and a bit of muck here and there, but most of it is already dried out and rolling well. With this warm weather I'm wondering if I'll have to push through at all by this time next week.

Upper parts like the Traverse probably need a bit more time, but rest assured I'll be doing continued recon.

***PLEASE avoid the initial race course climb for a few more weeks at least*** It has seeps that will be keeping it a mud bog long after the rest has dried out (didn't even attempt that portion today, I know it too well). If you need some pointers on where else to climb up into The Roslyn Maze just let me know.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks! all of my internal clocks are going off to go check it out. Did you make it up to the ridge road? I'd still expect snow up there yet... The weather heading into next week looks great!!!

Slothful dirt hippie
    That little pitch on that old crappy rutted out road on the way up is clear, but given some of the snow I pushed through heading up that far I just headed back down on the assumption it was only going to get more extensive. BUT... with this warm weather... we'll be hitting that stuff soon. I'll keep pestering warmonkey for intel also.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Cool. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hello, do you guys know anyone that has more resent maps of these trails? Everything I've found is 08/09 maps. I was told Bike-n-Board sold them but, every time I stop by the shop it's closed. Even on the weekends.

mtbr member
    I have a .gps file for your gps or iPhone and a .kmz file for Google earth of Rat Pak and a ride out of Roslyn. Pm me and I can email them to you if you like.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Those maps should be good enough for most of what's up there. Rat Pac has had some re-work around the old run down the road that actually makes it easier to follow than ever, so no worries there. Anything specific you're after?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Verslowrdr, not really. I'm just trying to tie together a few trails to make a semi-long ride without riding a bunch of the same trails over and over. Last year I saw a few group rides Evergreen put on- hopefully that happens again this year and I can learn the system that way. Ideally I'd like to do a Cle Elum to Ronald and back type of loop incorporating rat pack and the race course. Is the Roslyn bike shop still around?

Slothful dirt hippie
    Roslyn Cyclery shut down years ago, more's the pity. I still miss John.

I'll PM you here in a minute.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I rode up to the top yesterday. Well, rode/pushed. The last few hundred vertical feet have the usual foot or so of snow left in the usual shaded spots. I managed to put together a mostly on the bike roll down, though Let's see- another week and a half to finish melting, another week to drain out, a week or so to get the worst of the blow downs, helmet grabbers, face slappers and spoke pokers dealt with- that puts us into the third week of April. So, right now all the low trails are rolling nicely, in two weeks you'll be able to pick your way through most all of the trails, in four weeks everything around CE/Roslyn should be prime, another week or so for shaded spots in the Teanaway.

Karnveil, once everything firms up, and if you don't mind some climbing, it'd be pretty easy to put together 4-6 hrs of riding around here. More if you do Rat Pac. I'll be updating the old map and hope to have it posted pretty soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    BTW, Doob had his 50th b-day last Friday!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oh yeah, tick season opened last weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    No kidding... I found two on my pup Sunday night. Warmonkey, thanks for the trail update.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Tick season opened a while ago, co-worker had one on his dog 6+ weeks ago. Mild winter = bad I suppose. *runs hands nervously through hair again*

Anyway, I rode the traverse for the first time today. Lots of snow melting faster than I would have dared hope, but still a bit in places... Borneo, where's mah flow!?!
    RR: Roslyn Ridge 3/29/13-traverse04022013.jpg

While it's very encouraging to see how well things are looking for this early, please note I would NOT be burning gas from Seattle for this yet. It's still sloppy, intermittently snowy, and as warmonkey mentions the schwack factor is very high. A lot of the willows/vine maples/etc are still mashed down from carrying a pile of snow over the winter... they'll spring back up in a few weeks but in the meantime riding some of these trails is like a visit to the Singaporean penal system. Right now in addition to 'mountain bike shin' I'm sporting 'mountain bike arm' and maybe even a few lashes to my neck and face. Hawthorn is still the most interesting one to try to push through though, and I've got the marks from that too.

Higher desert riding is entering prime season however, so if you need a spring vit D fix check out the Yakima/Selah area and stuff east of Eburg.

Slothful dirt hippie

4/9/13 Update

Made it to the top trail layer for the first time TODAY! Still early, a lot of mashed down grass up there just out of the snow, and a couple very small sections of snow and greasy mud. But man... it feels soooooo great....

warmonkey and crew: THANK YOU for the trail love, my shins et al appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Hi Meg, only a minor thread hijack here. DW and I are thinking Ancient Lakes Thursday, unless you have a better suggestion...
    Peter

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    Hi Meg, only a minor thread hijack here. DW and I are thinking Ancient Lakes Thursday, unless you have a better suggestion...
    Peter
    It's horsed up but yeah, may as well give 'er a go... was out there Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thinking maybe a TYNT/LYNT section lap to the Pac may be in order a couple weekends from now... Finish it up at Beau's. First of 4 weekends in a row on the dry side.

Slothful dirt hippie

Update 4/24

Rode the race course today. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE RACE COURSE HILL CLIMB YET, IT'S A MUD PIT. You can get in by climbing Idaho St, taking the last left on C st, and there will be an old road bed heading up on your right, which will lead you back onto the lower course. There's greasy spots here and there otherwise but things are mostly looking good. Scene from the Bone Yard today....

RR: Roslyn Ridge 3/29/13-bytrillium.jpg