Slothful dirt hippie

RR Manastash Lake family bikepacking trip 2013

This time we stayed for 2 nights. Husby's ankle is sadly bunged up but it held on surprisingly well for the hike-a-bike with load to the lake and back. It suffered more during the day hike to Funny Rocks unfortunately, although that was blessedly short.

This may still be Ultra Barging, but at least we've got one trick figured out: sticking an extra Revelate Mountain Feed Bag on the kid's handlebar, which SHE can decide the contents of. It ended up carrying shot blocks, a piece of cord she found beside the trail, and a cool piece of obsidian from Funny Rocks.

Husby had the easier load with the Bob trailer. Really liking the Revelate Tangle bag for carrying ~70oz of water on the frame instead of his back....

... which as you can see is occupied by quite enough already, lol.

A friend asked me before we left if I thought a CX bike could make it up there. Now you can all see why I was glad I didn't have any liquid in my mouth when I got his text... the Manastash area is unlikely to ever become a mountain biking mecca due to the overwhelming quantity of rock in all it's glorious forms. Note my passenger has (wisely) decided to walk this and let mom deal with getting the kit down behind her.

But to those stupid enough to take it on... there's a beautiful lake at the end of the chunder.

Buglet actually rode quite a lot of the way back on the TAB, including some fairly sketchy rock gardens where I was trying to keep the speed down enough not to bounce her off the back but still keep enough momentum to be able to aim the whole semi-load on a line. Gotta say it's an excellent way to teach kids to stay loose and keep those pedals at 3 & 9... they learn pretty fast that they'll get clobbered at 6 & 12!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks like fun once more. I've taken both kids growing up on the TAB up to S Fk Manastash and back down. It's a rollin' good time. And, you CAN'T endo! With or without the kid....

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fire in the Manastash

Glad you got your trip in before the Shoestring Lake fire.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Agreed. hope they get that thing down fast. I like Shoestring/Keenan/etc...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yeah, that one was somewhat predictable but still nasty and probably totally intractable... the forest up to the lake is choked with sick/dead timber, just jackpot under the standing trees as far as you can see. Then the terrain in there is steep and unbelievably rocky. God bless the folks trying to fight this one, it's gonna be a thankless assignment.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks like a great family outing...
    Rocks, you have not tried riding in Canyon Lake, texas. It's rocks and rocks