Slothful dirt hippie

RR: Jolly Mtn not-so-shortcut 8/05/13

So what's a girl to do when she's got a hair appointment at 4pm in Cle Elum and the rest of a beautiful August day completely unencumbered? The back country was calling even with the time-crunch, so I decided to to do the short version Jolly Mountain loop as seen on this page, hopefully bagging the peak in the process. 3 hours*, 14 miles, getting up into sub-alpine country... perfect, right?

Summary: I left the truck at 10am, got back at 3:30pm after jumping into the CE river to try to cool off and hopefully get the worst of the stink and detritus off of me before screaming back to town. 17 miles, 5,500' of vert. Road climb was totally fine, including great views even before hitting the top. Top was total back country braingasm of course, especially summiting Jolly mtn proper. Hotter than blazes coming back down Jolly Mtn trail, which is sometimes fun, sometimes challenging, and way too much "OMG it's the trailpocalypse!" I'm totally down with sections of trail I'm not quite up to cleaning, especially when I'm riding solo and don't want to take any chances, but there's something extra-special about coming around a steep chowed switchback into something that looks like a creek bed complete with LARGE rocks randomly strewn into it and no discernible line through the mess. I would have taken pics because I knew nobody would even believe some of the stuff I was standing there looking at, but I was getting seriously pressed for time and just needed to keep going. Thank goodness I recently (and accidentally) replaced my normal Time pedals with a wider platform version because clipping in on a lot of that stuff wasn't gonna happen, and the wider platform sure added some confidence when I badly needed it.

Only part of the view from the top today...

Moar view:

*P.S. 3 hours?!? Maybe 3 of WHEEL SPIN time, but I'd think even some of the stronger guys I've ridden with would have a hard time getting truck-to-truck in that time frame, especially when adding the summit-bag in there.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Awesome, verslow. We hiked it the day before. The FS guys rode their motos to the top, had a bite and then RODE their bikes off the top including cleaning the switchbacks off the top. Impressive.

Great view off the top. Surprised more people don't get up there. If you want to cut mileage off you can drive quite a way up FS 4315.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    .. If you want to cut mileage off you can drive quite a way up FS 4315.
    Even better if I could have done the WF Teanaway out... but that will have to wait for another day with more time and more shuttle options.

Tried to talk 3 different guys into doing this one and they all blew me off! Maybe not so much now that they know what's waiting at the top, lol.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I woulda been there if I could. Glad you went for it.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I had some awesome adventures up there last season!

Untitled by emailsucks98, on Flickr

I checked it out earlier this summer and 4315 was still gated 1/3 of the way up. Still gated now?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I checked it out earlier this summer and 4315 was still gated 1/3 of the way up. Still gated now?
    Both gates were open on Saturday. The top gate was closed when we got there, so we just parked by the gate and when we went to hike around the gate we realized that the gate itself was mangled and someone had just dragged it closed. We could have just pulled it open and driven the rest of the way up but we just decided to hike instead (in fact there were a couple of cars parked all the way up by where the road ends and the trail starts). 4315 is one of the better FS roads I have ever driven. No problem for a passenger car, at least to the upper gate.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I had some awesome adventures up there last season!
    Rhut rho, looks a little early! Although a stiff snow cover might improve going back down the trail, lol...

Both gates open when I went up.

Yebo Numzaan
    Awesome!...waiting for Borneo's bi-annual recount of my 'not so short' adventure from the Teanaway up Jolly mountain back in the 2002's sometime.

My version of it being: he bailed on me with some really cool excuse (a wedding?) and I pushed onwards into the unknown.

I would love to get back...maybe time i rode with Bob again.

I support EMBA

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehehe. It was Kirk and I who both bailed just past the top of Yellow Hel and before Elbow Peak. After seeing the look on your facecoming back to the CG site about 9:30 that night, I know I'll never do that loop.

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post

coming around a steep chowed switchback into something that looks like a creek bed complete with LARGE rocks randomly strewn into it and no discernible line through the mess.
    see any motos ?
    G O N Z

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    see any motos ?
    Just saw tracks, but then again it was Monday. They've really been burning some chainsaw gas & oil... everything cleared out.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    see any motos ?
    Don't know about verslow, but we saw two motos (the FS guys I mentioned who were clearing blowdown) and a guy hunting bear. Stopped and talked to him for a few minutes...he had seen two bears that day but was not able to get a shot off at either one. This was on a really nice Saturday - I am surprised that area does not get more use. We sure saw lot's of people partying down at the lake.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Is that really a true story? I figured it was just a campfire legend...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Well anyways, I'm still looking for a really good MTB route out there. Last year we tried to connect Jolly Mountain with deroux trail via 1307.1 & 1393.1. Sort of like 500' rollers with trees down every 15'. We ended up bailing out on paris creek (lower section is open to bikes). Actually pretty fun, but everything was in need of serious maintenance at that time.

I love the terrain & scenery out there. But the trails make me want a moto.

When I win the lotto I will adopt some trails out there and quit complaining!