Slothful dirt hippie

Roslyn trail spear

Strange things happen in Roslyn from time to time, almost like the place is a wormhole to an alternate universe where oddness occasionally seeps through.

I was doing a 'desperation ride' (aka 'getting my bike out in February') yesterday when I came upon this blow down, and had to come back today in spite of the snow/sleet to get a picture. The big log apparently knocked into a smaller tree that broke up, and one piece of it is actually IMPALED right into the trail. I even tried shaking it thinking maybe the limbs were just holding it up, but the thing is solid as a fence post and digging down 4-6" didn't reveal any end in sight.

"...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've seen that before but not that big. Good thing nobody was there!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I came across one of those on Boot Camp in Duthie last year. A 10-12' long and 6-8" diameter maple limb/tree blowdown that embedded itself about 12-14" into the hardened trail surface and was just standing there, pretty as you please. It was all I could do to push/pull it out of its new position as an inverted tree! I got quite a shiver thinking about how close it came, time-wise, to hitting me. There were other people out there too, so I am pretty certain it had happened only shortly before I arrived and I didn't see any other tracks around it.

Last edited by DRSpalding; 02-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I came across one of those on Boot Camp in Duthie last year. A 10-12' long and 6-8" diamber maple limb/tree blowdown that embedded itself about 12-14" into the hardened trail surface and was just standing there, pretty as you please. It was all I could do to push/pull it out of its new position as an inverted tree! I got quite a shiver thinking about how close it came, time-wise, to hitting me. There were other people out there too, so I am pretty certain it had happened only shortly before I arrived and I didn't see any other tracks around it.

Weird, I encountered the same thing last year on the the same trail. I pulled it out threw it in the bushes and it left a nice foot deep hole.