mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Roslyn-Teanaway RR

Timed it near perfectly for once! Awesome weather, no mud, almost no sand. The usually sand pit-like fall line-moto groove descent would have been a screamer but for the meandering rain rut in the bottom. Fortunately, my OTB bailout skills have become finely honed over the years. Lots of sticks in the trail on the upper part. One of our party had half the spokes torn out of his rear wheel when a mini log lodged itself in his rear tri. Another suffered a bruised and bloodied shin from a kicked up stick. I did not break a frame. The River Ridge trail has several blowdowns in ambush locations. The river is too high to ford safely and probably will be for another month, so plan on riding around to the bridge or doing it out and back. All the makings of a great ride!

I may take a roll through with hedgers and chain saw next weekend.

Oh yeah. Ticks. Biting black flies. Don't forget the bug juice.

FYI, looks like there's still 5' of snow on Kachess Ridge so that's still a ways off.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are all the trees down on RR Trail hand sawable? Or is a chain saw required? Will be out there next weekend on the pre-ride clearing for the following big weekend. Assuming the upper moto route is the section across and west of the Crooked Tree junction at the ridge? We won't be up there anyways. Otherwise was RRT prety firm and smooth? Not chowed up by Elk or equestrians yet? Let me know if you get out as it would be nice to get that. Will be crossing the bridge at Dingbat and then RRT to BST back to the Carlson Canyon bridge crossing above the campground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No, not all of them. I'm trying to set up a shuttle/pick up so we can blast through with saws this week after work. I'd love to get one uninterrupted roll in before it dries out. Might roll the fatty this time, though.

RRT trail conditions were great. No discernible traffic- horse, moto or elk. We only saw four other people all weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay. Send me an update. Planning on riding the Friday and Sunday loops Friday evening with the saw and folding shovel and then the Saturday one into the upper basin and over to the Slab via the Dingbat bridge and down RRT to BST on Saturday.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
    ... I did not break a frame...
    Glad to hear you only had a few minor casualties this time!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    I did not break a frame.
    Ha! We were just talking about that at Rat Pac last weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    great ride. glad the blow downs will be taken care of. ruins the flow. boss man... lets take care of this s**t.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedbones View Post
    great ride. glad the blow downs will be taken care of. ruins the flow. boss man... lets take care of this s**t.
    I'm your ride home today. Beer selection has already been ironed out, and I'll have a BOB trailer + bike in case y'all end up with more adventure than anticipated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    wooooohoooooo! thank u tons see you this eave...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Done. RR is clear of blowdowns. Happy riding! The trail is starting to get sandy. It's supposed to be near 90 tomorrow so bring lots of liquids. Big thanks to Verslow for the pickup, the pizza and the beer on ice. Oh yeah!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks a ton! Did you guys go down BST as well on the way back across the bridge to the swimming hole? Going to be at West Fork this afternoon and doing the Friday and Sunday loops tonight solo. Will have Happy Trails and a couple more tomorrow for the big Saturday loop to to the slab and down RRT to BST. Can't figure out why we don't get more people riding back there....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    We didn't get down BST, just rolled the road.

I don't know why either. It's a huge area with tons of trails. Maybe it's too old school for the flow guys.

I'm not sure where I'm riding Saturday. I may do an Iron Bear recon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Verslo says it's because it's not all signed and GPS'd so every little bush and log is marked...

Well, stop by if you want for a beer.... We should be leaving for the upper basin via the Middle Fork ridge past the frog pond about 9 and back about 3 I figure... Coming back down RRT to BST after crossing the bridge at Dingbat.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Verslo says it's because it's not all signed and GPS'd so every little bush and log is marked....
    LOL.... that's not *quite* what I said....

Teanaway is utterly awesome but even farther off I90 and pretty bootleg in the WF area. People unfamiliar with the area want to know what options they've got open (and how to un-lost themselves if it comes down to that) before they burn the gas and time to get there on their own, and I can't blame them one bit.... my work schedule is utterly inflexible and my PTO is measured down to 2 decimal points. Under these conditions, free time becomes The Preciousssss, and in this case one might logically pass on a 'mystery meat' riding option over a better known route with a reliable payoff.

The good news is that Teanaway stuff is getting shot and now people who have never been there before can download a known decent route onto their GPS and try it out on their own schedule. This is A Good Thing™ IMO. Just look at what's happened w/ Joe Watt once we had some routes kicked out to them thar intarwebz....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Done. RR is clear of blowdowns. Happy riding! The trail is starting to get sandy. It's supposed to be near 90 tomorrow so bring lots of liquids. Big thanks to Verslow for the pickup, the pizza and the beer on ice. Oh yeah!!
    beer was good, pizza was good. conversation was plentiful. thanks again verslow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedbones View Post
    ... conversation was plentiful. thanks again verslow.
    With verslow? Really? Lots of conversation?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    With verslow? Really? Lots of conversation?
    Yeah, but don't kid yourself that dude can keep up... I was laughing too hard a couple times to even manage to come up with a reply.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Successful yesterday evening and all day today foray into the basin. Got the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday loops logged out. Hand sawz style. No one seemed excited about hauling the BoB with the chain saw and fixins the whole loop. Dirt is still really good. Had a couple motos on RRT since you all went through and they f'd it up a little but still rolling great as usual. Flowers are REALLY out right now and RRT was gorgeous.

mtbr member
    We were camping at 29 Pines the last few days for my wife's mushroom hunting group. Managed to find some of the trail heads people talk about in the area, really can't wait to go back sometime in the next couple of weeks and actually get to ride in that area, looks beautiful!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Off topic but how about a quick morel report.
    On topic, some of the rides in that area should melt out soon.

mtbr member
    Morels are just starting to pop up it seems, we only found 2-3 dozen smaller ones at some of the burned area by Blewitt Pass. My guess is the next couple of weekends will be when the getting is good.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Thx. About the same where I was on Table Mtn.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Slop, none in the lower basin? Would be good for the BBQ...

mtbr member
    Planning on doing some more poking around Friday on the way to camp...fingers crossed.