mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Rogue building at Big Finn Hill

I realize that posting here is a long shot to get people to stop illegal building, but it can't hurt to try.

Someone has been doing unapproved work building up berms and small jumps at Big Finn Hill.

A few of us have busted our butts for over a year, some have been working on this for longer to get a trails plan in place at Big Finn Hill to allow us to build bike specific trails that will include berms, jumps, drops, rock gardens and other technical trail features, but the rogue building is wasting our time because we have to undo your work.

It also means we have others who are upset and blame Evergreen and mtn bikers in general for this and jeopardizes our hard work and access to the park.

Don't waste your energy building unapproved trails and features, join us and help us build a better experience. We have some really fun stuff planned, contact the Big Finn team and we can tell you what we have planned.

The next bike-specific trail is flagged and we'll be working on approval this next week. Work parties to follow.

Please stop the madness!

Email the team at BigFinnHill@evergreen.org

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Troy - I would suggest posting signs around the rouge building explaining why it's bad and inviting them to contact the team. We did something similar at PVCA a few years ago with success. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is the rogue building going on at the usual locations? I regularly ride there and don't remember seeing any new "rogue" additions in the past couple months. Only new additions I've seen are those the EMBA work parties put in. Your request here is at least public. Not sure it's finding it's target audience. Woodway's suggestion is good but I'm pretty sure I've seen signs up already. At this point simply reminding the KC Parks staff the idea of building mtn bike specific trails is to give those riders a place to ride berms, jumps, drops, etc.

mtbr member
    I was thinking the same thing, hadn't seen anything new there in a long time.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It just happened in the last couple of days, but there are little bits here and there.
    I did make signs last night that we're going to put up.

It's never anything "big" and by our standards you wouldn't necessarily notice it, but it's enough to get the "walkers" excited. The Parks guys are cool and know that it's not us and that it'll take time to get the message out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Actually, first thing I thought was didn't fluxcapacitor go legit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes he did, in a big way. That's the one glimmer of hope I have that someone like him will see this post and follow his lead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'll repost this to the Evergreen Facebook page too Troy. It never hurts to put it out there...Thanks for all the hard work up there!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Saw that tonight and it didn't seem like that big of a deal. Maybe a bit to "proud" for a trail not designated for bike specific improvement but nothing a hard rake couldn't tame.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I feel sorry for kids these days and people in general. You can't even go out into the woods and play around anymore without crossing some authority figure. Where's the freedom? Everything is so over regulated.

mtbr member
    If you get people complaining and blaming it on "bikers", then you know what happens? The Parks guys put up a sign that say "No Bicycles allowed".
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    One idea we may be able to do at Finn Hill is set aside a designated skills area with dirt and no preexisting jumps, etc. Just a few limits (e.g. "no jumps over X feet high") and let the kids make their own. This has been done on Mercer Island and a couple of other places and seems to work well. It's local kids doing this kind of thing, but guess who gets blamed by the walkers (in some cases, those kids' parents or grandparents!).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I guess I'm obliged to weigh in on this now that my name is out there. By admitting I went legit is admission of guilt to being rogue at one time. There came a time where I swore I was done with all of it but thanks to TFitz and his proverbial tongue lashing followed by a very well reheared "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em" speech, I'm committed to making the best of what we have withing the defined process.

Now onto what Ive learned (sales pitch to the left over rogues out there)...me and my little shovel did a few things that were pretty sweet ableit tiny (a berm here, and little stupid jump there), but I gave all that up to join an army...an army fighting for a park full of fun trails, not just one little feature that suits me. Like to build? Like fun trails? Like it the BK way (Burger King...have it your way)? Stop being a useless tool like I was and become part of the bigger picture...I mean hell, the rest of us already did the hard part (politics of planning) now sign up for work parties and lets make this happen!

Moist and Delicious
    Love that enthusiasm!
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."