Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rocky trail suggestions?

I'm from Austin, now living in Seattle, so I'm used to trails that are very rocky. Lots of rock ledges, stairs, etc... Any recommendations for trails near Seattle that offer this type of riding? It looks like Ancient Lakes might offer some of that, but I'm curious what other trails are similar.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Colonnade under I-5

Seriously- not much rock here, we have glacial till instead.
    We do have a lot of awesome riding that's not rocky. Especially once the snow starts to melt off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Definitely not a lot of rock out here, but loads of roots and other technical features! Plus way more hills than you're used to in Austin.

You might check out Skookum Flats on Hwy 410 near Greenwater for some more technical riding with stairs and a few drops. You can connect it with Suntop for a longer ride with a lot of variety (climbing, some babyheads, roots, great views, etc.) once the snow melts.

Middle Fork Snoqualmie trail - especially if you start at Dingford and ride down to the MF trailhead, offers a super-varied ride that is quite interesting and beautiful. It reopens for riding June 1, though only on odd days.

Ancient Lakes is really more sand than rock and I haven't found any drops out there at all. It is really pretty and very interesting geology. Plus, since it's on the east side of the mountains it's a good spring ride (less snow, more sun).

Check out our online ride guide for loads of info on trails here: Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Agreed. East side is where the rocks are. Lots of basalt in the upper reaches of the Teanaway as well as on the south side in the Taneum drainage. Then, there is Watt Canyon/LT Murray wildlife area which is full of what Verslordr likes to call, "volcano puke".
    One the wet side, the rocks get covered up by organics and moss.

Justin Vander Pol
    Syncline and Little Moab in Bingen, right across the Columbia from Hood River. Not close, but fun.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks, I'm marking all of these in my todo list. Are there any links to Little Moab? Can't find it on Evergreen.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Agreed. East side is where the rocks are. Lots of basalt in the upper reaches of the Teanaway as well as on the south side in the Taneum drainage. Then, there is Watt Canyon/LT Murray wildlife area which is full of what Verslordr likes to call, "volcano puke".
    One the wet side, the rocks get covered up by organics and moss.
    Manastash is the volcano puke central. If you really want some fun you could head up to Funny Rocks... just put that into a YouTube search for all kinds of "Redneck Together" vids.

Miles can sure pass slow in that country through.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Great topic. Hope the snow thaws out so we can start riding these things. Here are some I've done or still need to check off the list.
    1. Close in - Preston trail at Tiger Mtn. Has a few ledges on it, especially after the rock work that was recently done. Probably the only rocks you'll find on an "afterwork" trail.
    2. Kachese Ridge
    3. Table Mtn (1st Cr trail)...mostly the "puke" type rocks...loose football sized pieces of basalt.
    4. Mt St Helen's
    5. Icicle ridge (?)
    6. Moto trails between St Helen's and Mt Adams
    7. BC
    8. Palisades (switchback section)
    Unfortunately, many good rocky trails not to far off are in wilderness.

Others?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i think the most insane ride with rock i ever did was Bishop Ridge Trail- Blue Lakes- Gifford Pinchot. It's home of moto's so the rock is all stirred up. But if you make it out there i would recommend a run down Hamilton Buttes for a better time.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    The Devil's Backbone portion of Pot Peak has some good rocky gnar and exposure. And you get to hike-a-bike through a nasty talus field as an added bonus.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    Thanks, I'm marking all of these in my todo list. Are there any links to Little Moab? Can't find it on Evergreen.
    Little Moab is really just the run right along the cliff at Syncline. Trail:Syncline - Evergreen Trail Guide

The Evergreen Trail Guide is sparse on that ride, so it would be cool if someone who knows the area could update it with a bit more detailed info.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    7. BC
    More specifically: North Shore, Whistler and Pemberton.

builder
    Feb 2009
    Mission Ridge Trail has some fun rocky spots that will keep you thinking and great views.

mtbr member
    Cadman sand and gravel comes to mind.

mtbr member
    exit 38 has always had lots of loose rock getting tossed around but maybe I'm not supposed to talk about a well known grey area spot on here?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mt Fromme BC, and other SW BC destinations between The Shore and Whistler. Go north. Go north. Go North.

NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Plenty of desert style rocky gnar out at Ancient Lakes today. Loose and dusty to add to the slippy slip descents.

I5Troll
    One of my favorite topics... riding on rock! Pretty well covered above. Not a lot around here compared to places like Moab, Phoenix, SoCal, but you can find it...

East-side of the Cascades has a good taste of the jagged gnarly stuff (Esmeralda, Kachess), as well as loose scree/shale stuff (Miller Peak, Upper W. Fork Teanaway, Jolly Mt). A few patches of Slickrock type schtuff around the Teanaway and around Leavenworth. Little Moab is short but awesome. There is a ton of rock on the old moto trails in Reiter Recreation Area near Gold Bar, but it's not open to bikes... yet!

But for the real thing... BC.

Some on the N Shore...

And much more as you go North (Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton), West (Vancouver Island) and East (Nelson), My favorite is the Slab...

And a little downtown Seattle:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    love riding the rocks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions. I learned to ride on stuff like this, and while I like the variety out here, I'd like to find a little of this. I'm sure with these suggestions I should be able to find some.

I5Troll
    Aaaahhhh... climbing rocky gnar! These are some of my favs:

Trail:Esmeralda - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Cutthroat Pass - Evergreen Trail Guide (easier but fun & beautiful must-do)
    Trail:Kettle Crest trails - Evergreen Trail Guide (Sherman Peak = rockiest of the Crest, join the KettleFest!)
    Trail:Lower West Fork Teanaway - Evergreen Trail Guide (not a fav, but closer)

Syncline has tons of this.

I'm guessing you'd also really dig climbing the singletrack to the west side of Coyote Wall (scattered rock tech, not shown on the map) and coming down Crybaby to Little Moab.

For a never-ending ass-pounding of technical rocky rooty cranking...

http://pembertontrails.com/wp/wp-con...p2011_Web1.pdf -- Pemberton's Lower Happy to Waco to Nimby then continue climbing or choose your DH

Comfortably Numb -- Whistler's "Uncomfortable Bum" trail.

Luvz me the rock! It's why I take the pilgrimage to Moab every year. Visiting my bro in Orange County in a few weeks. Hope to hit one of my rocky favs... Telonics:

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I learned to ride on stuff like this, and while I like the variety out here, I'd like to find a little of this. I'm sure with these suggestions I should be able to find some.
    Parts of Ancient Lake has rock that will be close, but different. The basalt/lava is pretty fun.
    Rocky trail suggestions?-al_rock1.jpg

Rocky trail suggestions?-al_rock2.jpg

Rocky trail suggestions?-al_rock3.jpg
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

More Pot Peak

Here's some Pot Peak action. Thanks to Kevmo.

And you get to see me blow out a tire on my shuttle rig at the end...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    jjcarr, is that pic you posted from Emma Long or BCGB? We have family in Round Rock and I've had a fleeting chance to sample the rocky goodness in Austin. I'm less afraid of taking a spill around here (central/north westside WA), I have to say!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No, that's not me, thats a guy I know on EL, but I'm very familiar with at Emma Long. Once you get used to it, those trails in Austin are a lot of fun. The only downside is that there is nowhere near the variety we have up here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast