mtbr member
    May 2010

Riding Walla Walla and surrounding areas

Hi all,

My name is Ryan and am currently interviewing for a position in Walla Walla. I will be working in Walla Walla and traveling the Tri-Cities. How is the Mountain Biking in this area? I am moving from Colorado and have tons of options here, but I have to move where my career takes me. I like more aggressive trails and also have a downhill bike. Also, if anyone can chime in on the culture of Walla Walla, and what it is like to live there that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Look for some threads here from last year when I was researching a trip there. The N FK of the Walla Walla is freakin' awesome. As is the Umatilla Rim trail. Sad that I waited all these years to ride 'em. Just over the pass in La Grande is some fine riding as well. Pop into Mountain Works and talk to Whit, the owner and he will get you set up.
    There is a link somewhere to a web page for a lot of Walla Walla rides and I'll look for it but you should be able to do an easy search here to get it as well. Early spring and late fall riding is available in the desert too. Not the same as CO but still real fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I rode Umatilla Rim last fall and it was awesome, but the USFS website now says it is closed to mountain bikes. I know the trail skirts a wilderness area so that may have something to do with it. Just make sure it is open to mtbs before riding it. Also South Fork Walla Walla River trail out of Harris Park is another good ride with some good trails that branch off it. There is also a decent trail system just outside of Echo, OR (not far from Tri-Cities or Walla Walla) that has ~17 miles of trails. It's all prairie riding with nary a tree in sight, so when the wind picks (like everyday) up it gets challenging.

mtbr member
    The riding in the area is good, mostly backcountry XC from what I've seen. I'm definitely not immersed in the riding scene out there, but from what I've ridden, you wont need the DH bike.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Umatilla posting isn't correct. But the far end of it does go out and you can't ride that. So, you're all good on riding the open section. It's only 30 something miles out and back.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Borneo - If I'm trying to come up with a location for a meetup for me and some friends that's sort of mid way between Portland and my neck of the woods, would you say that any of these rides are "destination-ish" worthy?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Definitely N Fk Walla Walla from the bottom lollipop version up to Cub Saddle and CCW. Head up S Fk from Harris Park as noted above. We went from Burnt Cabin which was a bad call and ended up being a 38 mile, 9400' day. And Umatilla Rim from the snow park as well. That's a long lollipop to the wilderness with a very cool dounhill at the end which is worth the road climb out. Side trip to a crashed B-17 from back in the day is there too. Slop and I did the Phillips Lake Super D outside Baker City which is pretty cool too but kind of hard to find the top. Not much at all in the "mid-way" area along the Columbia sad to say. Satus pass has amazing potential but that will likely never happen.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Really appreciate the feedback! Do any of you live in the Walla Walla area? Looking for feedback on the town. I know it's rural and small but what's the vibe like. Also I need downhill in my life as I used to race and am addicted ; where are the closet DH trails ?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't live there but the shuttling that I know of would all be on moto trails in the Blues. Burnt Cabin to Harris park or on a few of the other trails off the top ridge road. But, that would be a long run and a long shuttle too.

Don't worry, be happy!

Riding Walla Walla and surrounding areas

2-1/2 hrs (ok, maybe three if you aren't speeding on back roads) to Spokane where we have Beacon Hill. Lift served at Silver Mt just past Coeur d'Alene on I 90. I don't think there is going to be much DH concentrated closer.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No Tri Cities love yet? I've just started riding State Patrol at the South end of Kennewick and it's been a blast. A lot of quick winding single track loops will give you some good variety. Just watch for snakes...