mtbr member

Riding in February and March

Just wondering if there is any good rides that are still rideable at the end of February and into March on the west side?

The wife is going out town for a month with the kids and i have alot of free time to get some riding done.

thanks
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

Last word is all yours...
    Sure, there are some. Actually, if it's cold enough, there are a lot. Start here: http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/wiki/Category:Winter

and then you can add a lot more of the usual spots back into the mix if it's below freezing. For example, PVCA, Soaring Eagle, and Tolt are great when the ground is frozen. Even if not freezing, if you don't mind the sogginess, you can ride most locations.

The main thing we lose in the winter months are the subalpine rides and the seasonal closures.
    --
    -bp

Slothful dirt hippie
    I rode Duthie a few years ago in Feb. and it wasn't too bad trail-wise. The circus clown music that seems to play in the background at that place was a little odd though....

But keep an eye on weather conditions out at Ancient Lakes. It's often dried out enough to ride at least the coulee bottoms by then, and we've had some years where even the top clay dried out enough to spin that off early.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Awesome well thats a start. The ancient lakes, is that up around Quincy, WA
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

EMBA Member
    Tokul drains well, Grand Ridge is so up and down that there are very few bad spots even in a steady rain. Duthie also drains well.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    Awesome well thats a start. The ancient lakes, is that up around Quincy, WA
    Yup. More info: Ancient Lake AKA Pothole Coulees - Evergreen Trail Guide

I might have a gps file at home too- PM me if you'd like it. Feel free to ping us when the time gets closer too and we can maybe at least meet up at the trailhead (if we have our kid in tow we won't be doing the top part).

Slothful dirt hippie
    OK, I just updated the trail wiki w/ gpx file. It can be a little tricky to find that trail that drops into the north coulee so it's saved me a bit of grief a couple times now. Obviously there's a lot more wandering that can be done out there.

mtbr member
    Don't forget about Echo, OR or Syncline down by Hood River. I hear both of those systems are good to ride often times in the winter.

Echo hosts a race at the beginning of March even!
    Last edited by boostin; 01-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    OK, I just updated the trail wiki w/ gpx file. It can be a little tricky to find that trail that drops into the north coulee so it's saved me a bit of grief a couple times now. Obviously there's a lot more wandering that can be done out there.
    If I was not recovering from the flu, I would be at Ancient Lake right now. I expect the snow to be minimal and the ground to be frozen, though icy in places.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If I was not recovering from the flu, I would be at Ancient Lake right now. I expect the snow to be minimal and the ground to be frozen, though icy in places.
    I'll get back to it later, too busy skiing right now. We've got 4 days booked at Sun River at the end of the month- a vacation I've been waiting at least ten years to do!- and husby just said this might be the year we finally tear off Hogloppet.