mtbr member

Retallack Lodge, Nelson, BC

Took the 9th annual BRAAP bike trip to Retallack Lodge near Nelson, BC in August. We went there on the advice Pro-biker and all around bad-ass Mike Kinrade who started there this year. Retallack is about 1 hour north of Nelson which is 2.5 hours due North of Spokane. It's a Cat-Track ski lodge in Winter and over the last four years has developed into a Primo Bike Mecca. Retallack - Snow Cat Skiing & Powder Snowboarding in BC

We had 7 dirt-bags from Seattle and another joined from Vancouver. We were joined by various Retallack staff (all of whom were righteous shredders), Mike (see Where The Trail Ends movie), Derek Chambers; a world class pro DHr, and Katrina Strand; a Whistler Pro coach.

Day One - Gourmet Breakfast. 2 3000' descents, gourmet lunch, 2-3 3000' descents. The afternoon sets end right behind the lodge in their own skills park. Beer. Gourmet Dinner. Beer.

Day Two - GB. Helidrop to 7000' peak. Lunch on Peak. 6000' descent over 3 hours. Beer. Gourmet Dinner. Beer.

Day Three - GB. 2-3 more 3000' descents. More if time available. Lunch to go.

Oh yeah, and all the climbs are in a van. AND, we rode with 3 Pros who showed us how to really ride like them (almost). I'm sorry but that's the best weekend ever. Next year, YOU should go. Tell your friends.

So here's the footie...one long one and four shorter segments in order. Your choice. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    I heard about this Sunday. Heli day! Awesome.

Probably half off my visit to Scotland with really great guides. That visit was more xc with strong group of riders in the amazing highlands but airfare was the doubler. Ox cheek yes. Haggis no.

mtbr member
    Damn! Very nice, need to do this soon...
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

mtbr member
    Jealous! Been wanting to go there for awhile now, glad to hear it's as good as the hype!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks incredible. Can you give a price range on this? Just need to figure out which kid isn't going to college.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I do like gourmet breakfast and beer. How are the accommodations? What type of trails do they have - a mix of blue, green, black or all black?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Epic! Love the banging-wheel-on-tree stoke!

mtbr member
    It's mostly black, with some dark blue. Anyone with some bike park experience will have a good time.

I don't know exactly what the price will be for next year, but I'm working on a package with Kinrade to offer a week long experience with a few days at the lodge and a few days in the Okanagan for around $2300. This year depending on what part of the season you showed up for it was $1200-$1500 for three days, with everything (including heli) except for liquor.

I know that the boys are also working on some more AM style trails, but they probably won't be ready until later in the season at the earliest. However, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to put together an itinerary for higher end riders on lighter gear that would blow minds.

Got a few images of this trip over on my site:

First Retallack Day of the Season
    Powerslave Heli
    1st Retallack Trip Wind Down

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Retallack Lodge, Nelson, BC

Wanna go next year for sure!

mtbr member
    Agree with Johnny (Hi) that it's Black with Blue breaks in between. The Black is for extended steep sections and rocky tech. But it's really unique because of the trail build quality is so high and the dirt/tread is unique to the area.Maybe some of the trails in Bellingham but I haven't ridden there enough (maybe this weekend!).

After each 1-3 minute Black section there's usually a pause and catch your breath point in the form of a road crossing or blue cruiser. No forced jumpy sections with 20' gaps. Keep in mind that the group in the video are Seattle weekend warriors that survived unscathed for the most part. I would recommend to any intermediate especially if they could ride Ivan and Mid-town.

The closest trails in Seattle to Retallack/Nelson are Ivan and Mid-town at Tokul E, Exit XX, Summit at Tiger (sort of), and the two trails that aren't Wookie at Stevens Pass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for providing some local trails for perspective. Looks and sounds like an awesome experience.

mtbr member
    Here's the GPS of Powerslave trail from the Helidrop. Right down the spine!

Click View Details...for the details.