mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Requesting info on any "less challenging" trails near Merrill Lake near Cougar, WA

I plan to camp and fly fish at Merrill Lake this summer, and have fished the upper N Fork Lewis and Swift Reservoir. I'd like to know if there are any trails in the area that are good for beginner/intermediate riders. I'll be riding my Surly Pugsley, if I take it along.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    For now, in addition to the Beach, I have a bunch of gated logging roads in my area to explore, and not too far away there are a couple of lakes that have trails going around them and old logging roads out behind.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Isn't the Lewis River Trail right near there?

That's certainly doable for any intermediate rider, albeit there were some spots that were a bit scary due to potential dropoffs into the river.

Trail:Lewis River - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks. I read about that one, but wasn't sure if I'm ready for it or not. I might be worried about some PO'd Sasquatch tossing boulders at me.

Closer to home, there's a "rails-to-trails" going from Raymond eastward along the Willapa River that has a crushed rock surface. I plan to try that one.

Also, next time I go fish Coldwater Lake, I'll take my bike and check out the trail that goes along the side of the lake. When the wind comes up, it can get really nasty for fly fishing there. I can troll back to the ramp, and then go for a ride!

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Like I say, most of us rode it back in the day when we had no or very little suspension.

"Buff" is generally a keyword meaning fast riders can ride fast, but beginner / intermediates won't have a problem of the technical level of the trail.

Post closer to the Hex hatch and maybe you can get JRA and a few others to meet up there. :-)
    Last edited by The Sagebrush Slug; 03-11-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sagebrush Slug View Post
    Like I say, most of us road it back in the day when we had no or very little suspension.

"Buff" is generally a keyword meaning fast riders can ride fast, but beginner / intermediates won't have a problem of the technical level of the trail.

Post closer to the Hex hatch and maybe you can get JRA and a few others to meet up there. :-)
    Thanks for the advice. Ahhh, camping at the lake and fishing into the night! My favorite local seasonal lake gets stocked with some really large quality trout, by WDFW as well as a couple of local clubs. I'm headed to a year-round lake tomorrow, that has some really hard-fighting stocked rainbows. I let 'em all go. I don't like to eat hatchery trout. I'll bonk and eat (non-native) wild spawning Brookies from a mountain lake, though, to help thin out the population.