pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Redmond Washington Dirt Jump Park

This started a few years ago and they have removed the red tape finally.

Come out and give a hand.

Redmond Bike Park - City of Redmond

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This was the first weekend of volunteer work, and we got a lot done on the perimeter trail.

The next work party is Saturday the 14th. If the city gets the dirt supply sorted out, jump construction will start. If not, more work on the perimeter trail and (I assume...) on the non-jumpy loop.

The next work parties are Sat/Sun the 21st and 22nd, by which time I'm sure we'll be ready to work on the jumps and pump-track.

There are LOTS of tools available, so the more volunteers the better!

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    NWS -

Have you (whomever is in charge) created a facebook page for this project?

I might suggest posting it on other bicycle forums as well. I'm honestly shocked that I found out that this project was back on track because of a flyer posted on the tool box at Greenlake BMX dirt jumps. (instead of seeing it online....)

Who is responsible for the final shaping of the jumps? I know there was an outside/out of state company hired to design the park. Are they also guiding the physical shaping of the jumps?

I've been telling everyone I know that this project is back on track. Hopefully it turns out awesome.

mtbr member

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    To be clear - I'm just a resident and a volunteer.

The city hired Hilride as a consultant for park design, and Hilride's main man is Nat Lopes, who is a biker (and bike jumper) himself. The dimensions of the jumps were worked out on paper as part of the planning and approval process, but I don't really know if shaping has been spec'd out or if it will be done on-the-fly by Hilride and the volunteers. Nat is really easy to work with, knows his stuff, and has lots of experience, so I'm not at all worried. Plus there are volunteers who ride everything at Duthie (12-step, Paramount, etc) not to mention the dirt jumps that were in the same area prior to approval.

The plan is to build each jump line one jump at a time starting at the top, so each jump can be sized and shaped to work well for however much speed riders carry into it. It's assumed that there will be some fine tuning after the park opens but the goal is to get things pretty well dialed in before opening.