mtbr member
    May 2004

Recreation info and Meetings

There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Just roll it......
    Thanks for posting, Dave. I made a comment.

One thing I feel most of the commenters in there fail to recognize is that Parks are BROKE. I highly doubt they'll be able to raid NOVA funds again without a massive uproar and the Discover Passes aren't cutting it, so what happens with the next funding cycle? User fees have already proven to NOT work and they actually cut down on park usage.

Would I like to see a McDonalds at Deception Pass? Of course not.

Could it be possible for, let's say, a kayak company to sponsor or run a rental shop? Maybe.
    For instance, Larrabee has an incredible stage....why wouldn't they consider working with a promoter for a concert series or music festival? It brings campers to the park and that brings revenue.

Additionally, State Parks users are getting older, not younger. They really need to look at sports like ours for conduits for people to support and use the parks systems. I've posted this video already, but it does really talk about the marriage of recreation and conservation.

Cheers,
    EB

I5Troll
    Thanks for posting guys. Love that presentation! The number of objective thoughtful comments on the survey actually surprised me. I expected most of the comments to be from the usual extremes. I mean the "no no no keep everything out" type and the "yes yes yes privatize everything" type of extreme... not the EB type of extreme .

I encourage everybody to comment on the survey: Comment Online WA SCORP Town Hall

Morning reflections...

I also don't want Golden Arches at the top of Mt Si. But there is a huge opportunity to generate revenue for parks while also getting more people into them... enjoying them and wanting to keep them.

I don't want a paved road to the top of the Sherman Peak trail, but a few years ago I did want to take my Mom (titanium hips and knees) to the top of a WA mountain. Mt Constitution was schweeeeet! We would have been willing to pay beaucoup $$ for that experience.

I want to be able to get away from it all into the wilderness, but sometimes an experience like my last hike in Switzerland is schweeeet. >10 years ago. Near Zermatt. We hiked up a beautiful rocky trail forever. At the top there was a tiny little farm and cafe. I have no idea how they got their schtuff up there... didn't see a cable or road. But we sat down on a terrace and had a healthy Swiss snack of white wine, dried beef, pickled onions, cheese and bread... served by the owner. Hung out in the sun for a while enjoying the Xtreme views, had a coffee and then hiked back down.

I know we could never do the following, but just think of all the peeps from different walks of life who get to enjoy the experience. What can we do? I don't know, but we certainly can do better/more than the large clusters of radio towers and buzzing concrete shacks at the top of ~every peak on Tiger and Squak.

Aiguille du Midi, France...

Jungfraujoch, Switzerland...

Train through the Eiger and up to the Jungfraujoch...

I5Troll
    Ha! I think my comment is the longest . Skookum, where are you? I think I have you beat!

Just roll it......
    Bump.

If folks haven't added comment, then they should.

EB

I5Troll
    I was just thinking the same thing. Click here: WA SCORP Town Hall

A new set of question is up:
    a) Do we have enough parks, trails, and other recreation areas?
    b) Are they maintained well enough?

Justin Vander Pol
    Wow, the moto community is really posting a lot of comments in the Town Hall.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    Wow, the moto community is really posting a lot of comments in the Town Hall.
    Just one more good reason for all of us to put our two cents in!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

I5Troll
    Tons of posts by equestrians, motos and ORV users. Very little from anyone else. Takes a couple of minutes. Git heard!!! WA SCORP Town Hall. Spread the word!