Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Recommendations for the weekend that aren't too muddy

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bionicman 
#1 ·
A couple buddies and I are hoping to get a ride in on Saturday but with the weather turning wetter we're looking for a couple recommendations. We were going to ride Stevens but you're pretty exposed there with the rain and not many trees. Does anyone know how Galbraith is right now? Any trails to avoid because they're too muddy?

Any other suggestions that won't be a totally muddy mess?

#3 ·
I 2nd Tokul East when it is wet! That place drains really well. Black Diamond drains well too, but the original trail construction didnt really think about drainage (they are working on it though), so you do get a lot of big puddles in places.

#4 ·
I can't speak to Tokul East conditions, but in the Black Diamond area, both Henry's Ridge and the Real Life property have seen a lot of work this past year. There are some dedicated souls who have poured much effort into improving drainage and over-all trail quality. More work to come over the winter!
Have fun, wherever you go.

#5 ·
There's a difference in riding "after" it's rained a lot and "when". If we get what all the forecasts are expecting, no place on the "wet" side will be fun no matter the tread work done. The only good thing is that the soil is still not saturated yet at all. I was finding dusty conditions 2-3 down out on GS across upper Tokul yesterday afternoon while clearing drains and patching low spots.

#6 ·
Hey BBQ, thanks for the trail maintenance--I assume you worked on Steakhouse and perhaps The Middle this week too? I noticed some holes filled (backside of roots mostly) and drains cleared out on Tuesday. If you want some help brushing on Beaver Pond, let me know. It really needs it--knuckle bruising is happening from alder and other heavy weeds at the trail edge.

Edit: Sorry for the thread-jack. Back to the issue at hand with some pertinent info.

Remember last summer/fall? It took about four weeks of continuous rain (12-14") before Soaring Eagle, Tolt, and Tokul became fully saturated with all the streams running and the trail tread getting too soft to ride in the rain. It was pretty amazing while it was happening. Every day that was sort of not raining was a good riding day, right up to the point when everything was simply "wet all the way down".

#7 ·
Yep, on SH and BH only though. Rode down the Middle yesterday afternoonafter a GS lap and work feeling really slow behind some guy in a Rocky Mountain kit and a gal as well but didn't notice anything new out there. I did do some patching on it a couple months ago.Slop or I will start posting some WPs out there. It all needs some fall whack and drain and blow. Went down Steakhouse though and it was bone dry. :)

But, also back on thread. Yeah, most of the good draining stuff should be good for another couple weeks or so but to actually ride dry, one will have to go east for sure this weekend. And, definately not ride the Skokomish. Even if the trail drains well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.