mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Recommend me a good 29'' tubeless tire for west WA.

I will be upgrading to some new tubeless rims soon,
    most my riding is in west Wa. I am a xc type rider
    really just looking for good all around tires for my
    single speed, any suggestions Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

At least for me

For the wet season ... Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4"
    For the dry season ... Tioga Psycho Genius 2.3"

I run both on the Velocity P-35 rim.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Specialized "the captain" control in 2.0 for rear. I have a bontrager xr team 2.25 in the front, and really like it, but it's been discontinued. I run these both year round on my SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    +1 on the Purgatory, F&R. Awesome grip, especially in the wet.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    +1 for the purgatories! I like the 2.4s, but the 2.2s might be a better XC tire...

mtbr member
    I run Purgatory on my 26" bike, but for my 29er I prefer Captain controls. They are a faster rolling tire with nice side knobs for cornering and do a decent job when it is wet out. Since your on a single speed I think a 2.2F/2.0R would give you good traction and a decently low rolling resistance.

There are a ton of great tires out there, but I found Specialized tires are some of the easiest around to setup tubeless.

Just roll it......
    I'm on Purgatory 2.4's Front and rear as well. Love the tire...good grip, sheds mud well, predictable cornering. I've not set it up as tubeless, so I can't speak to that aspect.

EB

mtbr member
    Im new to the area so take that for what its worth. Im running Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and Nobby Nics 2.something_narrower_than_the_Hans in the rear on my ss. I realize the HD's are bit overkill but man oh man AMAZING traction, hookup. NNs in the rear do great as well. very very simple tubeless setup (stan's crest rims). This is a wet season setup of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Maxxis Beavers work for me. They are very light tires, so if you are weight conscious, I would go that way. I have 29 by 2 It is my opinion, given the increased contact patch of a 29er over a 26er you don't need to go as wide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm running the NobbyNic 2.25 f/r tubeless. Nice tire for really muddy or loose conditions. I primarily ride Tokul and am liking it for my winter tires with paddles.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Running a maxxis ardent 2.25 on the front and a specialized captain2.0 on rear mounted to Stan's arch ex rims. The captain mounted up nicely and holds air forever. The ardent loses a bit of air over a weeks time.

Super stoked with this set up. Not to aggressive so they roll nice, but have enough bite to be a predictable ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rocket Ron's!

mtbr member
    Running Kenda Slant 6 2.2