squish is good

Rat Pac Attack!!! (lots of pics)

A friend and I headed up to Rat Pac to get the first official trailride of the season in. Gate was closed so we short shuttled up to the housing development and then pushed up Borrego's alternate route. My buddy Pete just bought a Transition Blindside in the off season and wanted to trail test it for the first time. I figured I'd bring my DH rig to keep the pain level relatively equal on the pedally sections. Also brought along my Reign to try out my new fork and some other components later in the day. Enough talk, on to the pics!

Pushing up from the east side.

The road to the west. Looks a lot like Borrego's photo from last week, lame.

Ready to rock, was expecting mud, hence the goggles.

Pete and his new Blindside. Trivia moment - it's the bike Mike Kinrade rode to a 4th place finish at the Red Bull Rampage this year. The thing is a piece of history folks, and it's been beat to hell. Look up some vids of his runs, I tried to talk him out of buying it .

First road crossing, a little snow, a little rutty from drainage.

A little more snow, not gonna be able to pedal the DH pig through and up it.

Mini snow Eskars! My geology geekdar is going crazy with all the cool geomorphology around now right after the snow melted.

No go on the log jump. Too many cobwebs at the moment, need to ride a little more before going big again.

This is the wood feature at the end of the really long skinny/ladder after the log jump. Definitely not in good shape. The platform is supposed to be inclined about 25 degrees toward the camera. Appears to have broken during the winter. Will need fixing before it is rideable, we pushed back up to the alternate line.

New mini gap, this is gonna be really cool when we get the berm behind it dialed, you have to carry speed to get any air!

Pete getting a little air on it!

Me, not so much

Raddest improvement to the trail IMO!!! covering the log drop with dirt makes for a much more consistent surface. I've hit this thing 3 times in the past, twice I ate sh!t. Rode it about 5 times today successfully each time!

Shazam! I'm too fast for pictures! Look at my rear tire, damn I love Stans conversions.

Mike's sketchy ladder. No way my fat ass on a DH bike is rolling over this thing, I'm walking around.

Ruts making the RIP line sketchy. Will need repair.

Elevated ladder to ladder bridge line. A little off-kilter but we both rode it anyways. It's solid.

Finally this feature looks like it's shaping up. It's getting a deck, slowly but surely. I'll hit it as soon as it's done, doesn't look too tricky.

Pete had to take off early so I pedaled the whole thing one more time on my 6" bike. Took this pic on the descent because it was so awesome.

That is all, more photos next time, hopefully better action shots when we get the cobwebs shaken out. As a summary, mud and snow was minimal. Rat Pac is open, go ride it!
    Last edited by Clutchman83; 04-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Bike good, work bad.

Group Hug Participant
    Those TTF's make me giggle and vomit at the same time. Thanks for posting.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Slothful dirt hippie
    Was it you I saw unloading on Saturday @ No. 5? If so I lost your tracks at the road crossing- I probably didn't go left long enough....

P.S. I've always suspected the 'eskars' you pictured are from mouse/vole holes in the base of the snow pack that get packed with meltoff crud in the spring.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thank you for the update.

Nice to see the last one getting decking. The old angle slats were wierd. Not surprising that it busted last season. Still no tranny for that filled in log ramp? I too just love bombing into that little bowl and hitting it at speed. The faster, the better w/o a tranny. 15 days and I'll be over there.

mtbr member
    May 2004

You are correct.

Mole runs.....

They can make for some real bumpy trails in the spring in places!

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    Was it you I saw unloading on Saturday @ No. 5? If so I lost your tracks at the road crossing- I probably didn't go left long enough....

P.S. I've always suspected the 'eskars' you pictured are from mouse/vole holes in the base of the snow pack that get packed with meltoff crud in the spring.
    Not on Saturday, we were at South Sea Tac for the Norco Demo, then went up to Colonnade for the afternoon.

The snow eskars are from channels that form underneath snow pack as it melts off. The channels build up soil and form wormy shapes. If you ever make it up north out near Okanagon you can see huge ones from the last glaciated period here in North America. The ones we see out on the trails here are super puny in comparison.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I stand corrected. You are the geology major... Thanks for clearing that up.

And, again for the report...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice ghetto stunts

Members who have read this thread: 0