Thread: Rat Pac...?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

New question here. Rat Pac...?

Anyone been up lately? How's it looking up there right now...?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Verslo will tell you that there is still snow patches even in the valley. Coming over Blewett 2 weeks ago looked okay but coming back from Ancient last week confirmed still some big drifts. See Verslordr's Cle Elum post here from last week. I'd say at least another 2-3 weeks... At least.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Just talked to a kid that shuttled up the Vista's road (the paved road) twice last weekend. Reports are that there's still some big snow piles above the road as well as 'a 3' deep pond over the trail', and below was greasy in spots.

Thursday I looped up Ros ridge for the first time- it required hauling my bike through a couple 100' stretches of snow up above Sec 17, but hey, better than sitting in town wishing I was up there- and the race course downhill was actually pretty good. Yesterday afternoon it was starting to mud up a bit although under dense trees it was still dry.

We had some hard rain last night so today I left the bike at home on the assumption that it's going to be ugly. However, with warm temps + sun + wind this could turn around quickly.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Jan 2004
    Cool...thanks for the intel, guys. Looks like something else on tap for this weekend instead...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gee, one of the good ones you would like for the early bird over 90 special is LT Murray/Watt Canyon. Sorta similar in some Freund Canyon ways. Just 20 minutes farther and some fun DH. Hope to get some helmet cam footage after it opens on May 1st 'cuz folks seem to respond to video best. North facing but farther east and melting out faster. Sort of the "Sage Hills" of the I-90 environs.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Gee, one of the good ones you would like for the early bird over 90 special is LT Murray/Watt Canyon. Sorta similar in some Freund Canyon ways. Just 20 minutes farther and some fun DH. Hope to get some helmet cam footage after it opens on May 1st 'cuz folks seem to respond to video best. North facing but farther east and melting out faster. Sort of the "Sage Hills" of the I-90 environs.
    Really Jonsin' for JW this year aren't ya?

Jan 2004
    Cool -- thanks, Bob. I keep meaning to do that Watt Canyon ride -- heard a lot about it...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Just got back from riding lower RP. Rolling pretty nice, only a few very short muddy spots. Just keep an eye out from tombstone on down for local kid's shovel work... it's 'interesting', especially the big log drop/booter below the power lines.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    In the speed gully before the end? There's a nice big floater in there already. (The jump, not what's in the pond nearby...)

mtbr member
    Sounds like Rat Pac is not ready yet. Any recommendations on a ride this weekend in the Roslyn/Cle Elum/Ellensburg area? I haven't ridden Watt Canyon but remember some threads about it last year. Is that the spot?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

One spot left (Peter isn't going).

Also, from verslowrdr a couple days ago, the ridge is snow free now. There probably are still patches on upper Rat Pac, though.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Sounds like it's actually rolling pretty well, although we're getting huge rain today so I'd wait until Saturday at least. That side of the ridge dries out amazingly fast between sandy soil, south sun, and warm west wind exposure sucking over the pass.

mtbr member
    I hadn't ridden over there in 15+ years. Did the Roslyn ride and Ratpac last Friday and it was great. Lots of big east side pine needles on the trail though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode up there last weekend (4/28) and the entire trail is snow free! There were a few small puddles but other than that it was rolling nicely. Hopefully it dries up for this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Would it be possible to ride with a Chariot trailer hauling a three year old out at Watt Canyon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by natejmorse View Post
    Would it be possible to ride with a Chariot trailer hauling a three year old out at Watt Canyon?
    Get back to work Nate!

Actually, the roads would be ok, but the trails are too rocky.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Agreed. Even some of the upper roads are too rocky. A bunch of the lower stuff could be done on a trail-a-bike though. It would be work. But, could be done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks, actually it's his wife asking.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I've got pics from last spring on here of dragging our Buglet through the trails from the cabin on down on the trail-a-bike. The trailer would be a pain once you got very far IMO... too wide for the singletrack, and possibly bottoming out on some of the chunk-infested roads. But you could always give it a try.

Might be TAB-ing it this Saturday while husby goes out and plays with Borneo et al.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We rode Rat Pac on Saturday. Only a couple of very small wet spots left. Very fun. Do watch out for that big drop in the gully towards the end though.