mtbr member

Ranger Creek last weekend

Peter and I cleared the few but big logs for two long days on ranger creek last weekend. Its a true test pedaling up ranger with a saw in your knapsack or worse on a trailer.

This photo is a rootball remaining near very bottom of ranger creek trail.Ranger Creek last weekend-uploadfromtaptalk1367995506336.jpg

We deferred on the rootball and will come back with come-along-type pulley tools and nudge this over the side as appropriate in a couple or 3 weeks. We ditched the tools mid-mountain and came back on Sunday for a small amount of larger trees on the upper half of the ranger climb.

Peter owned these blowdowns:Ranger Creek last weekend-uploadfromtaptalk1367996123483.jpg. The last cut was nerve racking.

Ranger Creek last weekend-uploadfromtaptalk1367996168768.jpg

We walked up snow and cleared minor stuff the last 6-7 switchbacks to shelter. Bring snow traction shoe bottoms like yak trax. Our data was enhanced by a solo female hiker who had been to the first views along Palisades.

I think within two weeks someone will bag palisades. Its a forecast not a contest...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nicely done Len and Peter! Wish I could have joined you guys.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Thanks again, Len and Peter -- Masters of the Motoraxe!

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    My heroes!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks guys! Len, you are amazing with that saw!!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member

Re: Ranger Creek last weekend

Update: Rootball was "removed" Saturday 5/17

Before
    Ranger Creek last weekend-uploadfromtaptalk1369030923377.jpg

After
    Ranger Creek last weekend-uploadfromtaptalk1369030823997.jpg
    Magic!
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 05-20-2013 at 12:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Awesome looking work. I am so stoked to ride up there this summer!

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    Update: Rootball was "removed" Saturday 5/17

Before

Magic!
    so Len shows up with a back pack of full of slings, shackles, webbing, and a Harbor Freight Come-Along. The root-ball was a 8 foot diameter sphere of wood, roots and soil. It was lodged into the trail, but it looked like tipping it 4 or 5 degrees would get it rolling down hill. The week before we tried without tools to tip it, but it was too massive for our puny arms. Now Len shows up with the mechanical implements - he tied a big sling around the root ball, and then ties the sling in series with the Come-along to anchor tree up-trail. The Come-Along has 5 foot of stroke, which seemed too little considering all the stretch in the slings.

Well, he cranked on that Chinese Come-Along till it nearly bust, and just before the end of usable line, the stump slid about 6 inches in the dirt. We took the tension off and started to re-tool for another pull, when Len just put down the stuff and reefed directly on the stump . Surprisingly, he got it to tip one or two degrees, and just like falling a tree, the stump slowly started rotating. After what seemed like an eternity, it's cg went over center, and what do you know, it started tumbling down hill. It picked up steam and crashed it's way down the hill side, bouncing over the lower switch, and continued down, completely leveling anything in it's path, including a young fir. It came to a hault in a cloud of dust, and after a few echos, the forest was silent again. We looked at each other in complete awe, ... Good Lord ! What have we done !
    G O N Z