Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ellsdemon

Race Against the Clock race series at PVCA

Hello all my name is Otto and wanted to see what kind of response I would get on a idea I've had. I've been thinking of this for sometime and now I'm willing to see if anyone wanted to join me.

I have a certain loop I do at Paradise, I usually try to beat my times if I'm doing a quick ride. So why not see if someone wants to beat me? My idea is based on the following.

1. Everyone has one week to get to PVCA, do the loop and report the time to me. Monday to Sunday 7pm

2. You have to do the loop on your own time, but you have to report the time to me by 7pm Sunday. Don't care if it's a nite ride, morning ride, stoned ride, just ride it and report.

2 (a) Start time and end time are from your car to car.

3. Everyone has to do the same loop
    Parking lot
    Main Line to Cascara
    Cascara to Lloyd trail (no Lloyd detour)
    Lloyd Tr. to Southern Traverse
    Southern Traverse to Mainline
    Mainline to to Marker 20 (which is the Large rock
    with other rocks on it, don't take the short cut to
    MTB Park)
    Marker 20 and continue on Mainline to Red Alder
    Red Alder to Mainline again
    Mainline to back to Cascara
    Cascara back to Parking lot.

4. Don't care about your age, bike wheel size, how many gears you do it in, if you do it in a dress. All that matters is the clock.

5. It would be a six (6) week race series. Race times will be awarded points
    First place gets 5 points
    Second place gets 3 points
    Third place gets 2 points
    All others get 1 point

6. This is all on the honor system, I will not be there with a stop watch.

7. I will have an email set up and you email me your results and on Sunday night/ Monday Morning I will email everyone the results and standings.

8. On week 7 no race, but maybe a "awards party" at Redhook with maybe me buying the 1st Place a pitcher of beer, 2nd place a tennis trophy. 3rd place maybe a key-chain bottle opener.

9. Race series maybe would start the week of Dec. 18th or week of Jan 2nd. Or it might not start at all if no one is interested.

10. Well that's my idea, let me know if your in or I'm just crazy.

mtbr member
    You don't like doing Cedar Run (Morning Wood)?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why not just let the Stavasses handle it?

On a more serious note. Not sure how SnoCo will like "racing" out there...

If it is just an honor system reporting. I'll sit home and still have the fastest times.

Ellsdemon
    Nothing wrong with Cedar Run, just trying to keep it a loop. Borneo, you still have to follow the rules of the trail. This is more of just having fun. So if you need to let hikers pass by, equestrian encounters, or helping someone out or chatting, it all goes against the clock. Which I'm sure we would all encounter. Again this was more of just of an idea and see what kind of response I would get.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Race Against the Clock race series at PVCA

That's almost the exact opposite of my typical loop there! Might be fun to do the opposite once or twice.

On another note, I am new to riding at paradise. Rode there for the first time in May. How is it in the winter? Judging by the amount of mud there in may and June I would think December would be very sloppy.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Historically PVCA was one of those places to avoid in the winter (and much of the spring and fall) as it was very muddy. With all the roots and holes out there, it just wasn't much fun.

The last couple years a LOT of work has been done to fix this though, so it's not nearly as bad. Still the odd puddle here and there on Cascara, Mainline, Cedar Run, and Lloyds, but definitely rideable a few days after the rain. Two Trees and Ephemeral hold up a little less well from what I've seen.

One of the plus sides about PVCA being in a valley though, is that it seems to freeze early in the morning when other places are still wet and muddy.
    Tarekith.com

Ellsdemon
    Well, I've got one rider who's in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems too short and too easy. Throw in Two Tree's, Lloyd's Detour and the Bike Park @ night during an icy rainstorm. Then you've got some classic PVCA racing ;-)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I agree, you're skipping all of the fun & challenging trails.

Ellsdemon
    I will change the route if it would get riders to do

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not a Strava fan, but it would be some good winter training to have a competitive loop @ PVCA. How cool would it be to count dabs against the clock; something like a 30 second penalty for every dab.

Ellsdemon
    That's exactly what I was trying to create was a competitive training loop and have some fun at the same time

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    I'm not a Strava fan, but it would be some good winter training to have a competitive loop @ PVCA. How cool would it be to count dabs against the clock; something like a 30 second penalty for every dab.
    Anyone who started riding in the past decade has no idea what you are talking about. Counting "dabs"... Pshaw, that's just silly.... If so, riding Cedar Morning Wood Run is a must... When it's wet out...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Anyone who started riding in the past decade has no idea what you are talking about. Counting "dabs"... Pshaw, that's just silly.... If so, riding Cedar Morning Wood Run is a must... When it's wet out...
    That and the south section of two-trees, right from where it starts at the intersection with Cedar Run.

FWIW, I kicked off the annual blower patrol today...hope to have everything blown off by week end.

Ellsdemon
    we played horse, who ever got it first with dabs bought the first pitcher after the ride

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    FWIW, I kicked off the annual blower patrol today...hope to have everything blown off by week end.
    Thanks Brian! Trails were in great shape.

I rode there 10 days ago and wasn't going near the wet leaf-covered wood on Cedar run. Today it was clean & grippy- Awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I agree, you're skipping all of the fun & challenging trails.
    What's a good playlist for PV? I've ridden PV about five times and am starting to be able to tell one trail from another but would appreciate a good playlist. I'm still ping pong balling around out there. I moved here from SoCal last summer and PV is my favorite local spot so far. I love Red Alder and Lloyd's. Wish I could find more technical cross country trails like those two. Just longer.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    What's a good playlist for PV?
    My go-to route, from the parking lot, basically a CW loop:
    1. #1 Mainline to #5 cascara
    2. #6 Cascara to 106th to #8 loyds
    3. Loyds loop detour/noose #16 back to loyds #17 (optional)
    4. Descend & climb southern traverse #13>12>11
    5. Descend Cedar Run, climb southern traverse (repeat if you like) #22>12>11
    6. "Bike park" (optional) #21>20
    7. Two trees to red alder #22>23>25, 10>9
    8. red alder> cascara>mainline out #8>7>6>5>1

Race Against the Clock race series at PVCA-pvca_map-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Normally I do a counter clockwise loop. Start with Cascara, Mainline over to Red Alder, then either Two Trees or Ephemeral to post 22, then left to the "bike park" for a lap, then back to 22. From there Cedar Run to Southern Traverse, then Lloyds back to Mainline and I end with Cascara going the other way back to the car.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Normally I do a counter clockwise loop. Start with Cascara, Mainline over to Red Alder, then either Two Trees or Ephemeral to post 22, then left to the "bike park" for a lap, then back to 22. From there Cedar Run to Southern Traverse, then Lloyds back to Mainline and I end with Cascara going the other way back to the car.
    +1 for the CCW direction. It's obviously the only way, the right way, to do it.

We don't go up Cascara though. I always considered it a bit too fast going the other direction to do safely. I'll have to watch out for people coming up it now! :P
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    My "Full Enchilada" ride - hits all the trails with just a couple of repeats:

- Parking Lot -> Mainline -> WP5 Cascara
    - Cross mainline at WP8 -> Lloyd -> Lloyd Detour (WP 18 to 17, rides better this direction)
    - Continue on Lloyd, left at the end to WP14 Southern Traverse
    - WP14 -> WP15 (make sure to ride the stump pumps) to the end of Southern Traverse, exit the park on the road, ride the road down the hill take a right, another right, go past the next right and take a right onto 107th Dr. SE. Woof, some good climbs here.
    - Re-enter the park at 107th -> WP14 and continue down Southern Traverse at WP13
    - Southern Traverse down and up -> WP22 Cedar Run
    - Make as many laps on Cedar Run/Southern Traverse as interest/time/energy allow
    - WP22 -> WP21 (stay right) -> WP20 and take the first (unmarked) left after WP 20 and ride both the loops on the plateau
    - Left out of the unmarked plateau trail -> WP21 -> WP22 Two Trees -> WP23
    - WP23 continue down Two-Trees -> WP24 -> WP25 -> WP10 turn right onto Red Alder
    - WP10 Red Alder -> WP18 Mainline (many people skip mainline, it's a fun ride) -> WP9
    - WP9 -> up Red Alder -> WP10
    - WP10 -> WP25 Ephemeral -> WP23 ->WP22 -> either Cedar Run or Southern Traverse to WP12 -> WP13 -> Lloyd -> Cascara -> Parking Lot

I like to ride the whole thing without stopping. Good workout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    We don't go up Cascara though. I always considered it a bit too fast going the other direction to do safely. I'll have to watch out for people coming up it now! :P
    I've always started with Cascara and only recently tried it to end a ride too. Was surprised to realize that it actually is slightly more downhill on the way out, never really felt like a climb the other way. Now I always take that on the way out, I'm used to watching for people when headed downhill and it feels better ending with a "downhill" run. Plus I tend to go early in the morning during the week, and often I'm the only car in the lot so I don't have too many other people to worry about.
    Tarekith.com

Ellsdemon
    Soooo.....does this mean you guys are going to join me and do the race series if I change the route?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsdemon View Post
    Soooo.....does this mean you guys are going to join me and do the race series if I change the route?
    Nah, don't change it. I'll do it the wrong way for fun.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Race Against the Clock race series at PVCA

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsdemon View Post
    You started the challenge, you get to pick the route, imo.

If it works with my schedule I'll do it and post my very slow time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast