Thread: Quincy Lakes RR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Quincy Lakes RR

It was too nice to stay home so, loaded up with bike and beagle, I headed towards Vantage. Ancient Lakes sounded nice but since I was starting late I thought I'd knock 20 minutes off the drive and check out the Quincy Lakes area instead. Perched on the shelf above AL, I'd be able to (pretty much) drive straight in, avoiding the longer spiraling-in approach to AL from I-90.

I parked at the Evergreen Res. boat launch and picked up a trail heading NW. Let me just say now that I'd never ridden or hiked here before. It took me about 100 feet to figure out just how much it was going to suck. It was a great fisher/hunter/hiker trail but none of the aforementioned ever seem to (or need to) move a rock out of the trail. No ordinary rocks, these, uh-uh. Think square edged basketballs in groups of ten, spaced to allow no more than 5 or 6 pedal strokes between clumps. After spending more time off than on the bike I noticed that the cows, horses and deer didn't use the trail either. So taking a tip from the local fauna I left the trail and took off cross country, weaving my way along the web of critter trails. Suddenly it was fun again! I just wandered for awhile, picking my way along game trails and rimrock.

I ended up being out for 2hrs and covered maybe 5 miles. If you're looking for a fast, Ancient Lakes-type ride, this ain't it. If you want to get off the beaten track and dial in your slow-speed rock riding skills while taking in some gorgeous scenery, check it out. Next time it's nice I'll be heading back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quincy Lakes RR-quincy-lakes-1.jpg  

Quincy Lakes RR-quincy-lakes-2.jpg  

Quincy Lakes RR-quincy-lakes-3.jpg  

Quincy Lakes RR-quincy-lakes-4.jpg  

Quincy Lakes RR-quincy-lakes-6b.jpg  

Quincy Lakes RR-quincy-lakes-trail-hound.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Done a lot of bird hunting in that area. Last time out there were bike tracks just like you describe, crisscrossing through all the game trails. Made me think that next time I might bring the bike simply to help me scout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah, I kicked up a couple coveys of Huns, might have to check it out in season.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
    It was too nice to stay home so, loaded up with bike and beagle, I headed towards Vantage. Ancient Lakes sounded nice but since I was starting late I thought I'd knock 20 minutes off the drive and check out the Quincy Lakes area instead. Perched on the shelf above AL, I'd be able to (pretty much) drive straight in, avoiding the longer spiraling-in approach to AL from I-90.

I parked at the Evergreen Res. boat launch and picked up a trail heading NW. Let me just say now that I'd never ridden or hiked here before. It took me about 100 feet to figure out just how much it was going to suck. It was a great fisher/hunter/hiker trail but none of the aforementioned ever seem to (or need to) move a rock out of the trail. No ordinary rocks, these, uh-uh. Think square edged basketballs in groups of ten, spaced to allow no more than 5 or 6 pedal strokes between clumps. After spending more time off than on the bike I noticed that the cows, horses and deer didn't use the trail either. So taking a tip from the local fauna I left the trail and took off cross country, weaving my way along the web of critter trails. Suddenly it was fun again! I just wandered for awhile, picking my way along game trails and rimrock.

I ended up being out for 2hrs and covered maybe 5 miles. If you're looking for a fast, Ancient Lakes-type ride, this ain't it. If you want to get off the beaten track and dial in your slow-speed rock riding skills while taking in some gorgeous scenery, check it out. Next time it's nice I'll be heading back.
    I have ridden the fisherman trail around Burke Lake. ~3 miles with less than 100 feet of climbing, and LOTS of rocks. I liked it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Typical "raw" trails of Wa's inland "badlands"... for those who want to poke around, explore and enjoy the scenery and "big sky", theres miles and miles of this kind of ridding in E. Washington.

Thanks for sharing warmonky!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well, for sure I'll be rolling the big wheels next time.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Waitaminute- is that the Diamondback I see???
    Cool stuff. Thinking about even riding down by my house later this week when I have some time off.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."