mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Quilomene Bike Packing

A few of us went bike packing in the Quilomene Wildlife Area a few weeks ago. Becoming an annual "Spring opener". This year we started with a descent down the Quilomene Canyon itself, which I hadn't ridden since 2000. It is just inside the Colockum/Tarps fire line and years of brush "buildup" was all but completely burned out. Mother Nature rebounded with a lush carpet of green grass (and other plants including ton's of baby poison oak's- watch out!). We camped one night at Quilomene Bay and the second night at Whiskey Dick Bay. Was interesting to see both bay's empty and dry due to the Wanapum "draw-down".

Here's some pic's: https://www.flickr.com/photos/512223...7644071900435/

Video's in the works...

Happy Trails!

Slothful dirt hippie
    We went back out to the Quil Sunday to rescue the SteriPen husby bounced out of his pack between the Army Rd and Skookumchuck (thanks to everyone's pictures we could tell when he had it and when he didn't). Fortunately it was in it's neoprene case stuffed with a buff inside a water bottle so it was completely unharmed for it's drop and it's stay, and fortunately it was laying right out in the middle of the first pitch down. The weather was unstable and the wind was already nuking so we turned and burned back for the truck.

Quilomene Bike Packing-spmission2.jpg

I always have to giggle at people putting this area down for being 'just dirt roads'. Sure, bring your cyclocross bike and bang out 100 mile days.
    Quilomene Bike Packing-spmission3.jpg
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah Verslow, I like to call them "route's" instead of roads out there...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    While always intriguing for me, I just can't see the "draw" (pun intended since there are so many) though if it was closer to home.... And this is soooo far off the "Tiger/Duthie" screen of vision for the masses that it will always be the realm of true adventurers, fat bike or otherwise. keep doing it and keep posting and maybe one day, when I'm too old to care, I'll join for the adventure.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    While always intriguing for me, I just can't see the "draw" (pun intended since there are so many) though if it was closer to home.... And this is soooo far off the "Tiger/Duthie" screen of vision for the masses that it will always be the realm of true adventurers, fat bike or otherwise. keep doing it and keep posting and maybe one day, when I'm too old to care, I'll join for the adventure.
    Yeah, def not for those jazzed on racing around in little circles/ watching other people race around in little circles. This is the realm of the self-sufficient traveler who's imagination is ignited by vast non-human-populated spaces.

One of these days we'll get you out there.... and I think you'll get it.

Quilomene Bike Packing-spmission8.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    In the early '80's when "mt. bike's" were first coming around, this kind of stuff was the draw. We were finally free of pavement and improved roads. No one could have imagined a "Duthie" back then... or the bikes that ride there.

This is just a cool, remote destination to visit and explore in Central Washington- Washington's "Outback". Especially in the Spring time. And I just prefer the freedom, efficiancy and the challenge (and the mechanical advantage) of the bicycle. You can visit there by motor vehicle on lots of routes though. Cool thing about bikes on state land though, is that, in most case's, unlike F.S. land, routes closed to motor vehicles remain open to bicycles (so far anyway... knock wood). Thanks WDFW and DNR!! We appreciate your view on bicycles!! In fact, our state land manager's view on bicycles turned my opinion of the Discover Pass around 180*. Wish the F.S. had the same common sense...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    ...You can visit there by motor vehicle on lots of routes though...
    Let me amend this statement by pointing out said vehicle if it's got 4 wheels had better have significant ground clearance and you should probably go in a group so if one conks out everyone still gets home before the buzzards start circling, lol. Actually there's been some interest from ADV moto riders making overnighters and more out in this general area. They still grouse about the chunktacular road surfaces but overall a moto makes the most sense if you're going to burn old dinosaurs out there.

We once ran into a F&W guy in a pickup above Hells' Kitchen and he was actually quite vocally pleased to see bikes roaming out there, even wondering out loud why more people weren't enjoying it that way. We had to point out that the grunt and isolation-preparedness-factors were probably beyond the average Joe's ability or desire, but otherwise we were in total agreement. His enthusiasm was heartwarming.... very different than so many various agency interactions we've heard about.

FWIW we had a similar conversation with another F&W enforcement officer on a quad out in Joe Watt one day. Seems like they're quite aware that MTBs are a positive thing to have roaming around out there.... more eyes on the ground, and no trashing the place.

EMBA Member
    Cool places over there on the Eastside. Specially before it get's too hot. Thanks so much for the pics; I just love to see people doing other things on bicycles. Very cool. Slim

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's the video from our trip...

EMBA Member
    Great video. Thanks for sharing. Slim