Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

PVCA Plans for the Winter

We've got a few projects planned at PVCA for this winter:

1. First, light maintenance on the trails we worked so hard to rebuild over the last two years: Cascara, Lloyd, Red Alder and the Plateau loops. I've been out with the blower this week clearing the trails and was very happy to see that they are all generally in good shape so I expect this to go fast.

2. We plan to re-route that fall-line section at the north end of Red Alder using a couple of climbing turns that should be fun to ride.

3. The county has given us approval to add a new trail from WP22 to WP23 (you can find them on the map here), we envision this as a flowier alternative to the current Two Trees trail between those waypoints.

I've posted the first work party on the Evergreen calendar and I hope we can get some new folks to join us this year.

Note that Evergreen receives grant credit for trail work hours put in at PVCA - by coming out you not only make the trails better, but you also help Evergreen!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Got the e-mail too. Will see what I can do. Really stoked for the new "flow" trail building.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Woodway. I hope the new trail 22-23 means there will be no pressure to sanitize the existing trail: it's the highpoint of my visit to PVCA every time, in any season.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    TFitz, there is some pressure to at least keep it sustainable. That means getting rid of some of the seasonal lakes. I think that once the "bypss" is in, that side of the park will get more traffic and those with lesser skills who were concerned about the "Middle Earth" section can simply ride across to the south side of the bike park instead. There is some funn rolling terrain in there and a meadow or two so lots of options to be creative, meander, and keep it in the middle ring.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Tom - no plans to touch the existing trail. Although I did blow it off yesterday...is that sanitizing

Caught flak from three women on horses who think that using a blower on the trails is a bad idea. They think that the trails are already too hard and the organics should be left on them to soften them up. I wanted to suggest that they just ride through the woods where it is nice and soft, but like a good mountain biking representative (I was wearing my Evergreen shirt) I just suggested that they call the County.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    SnoCo has a favorable opinion on this based on the Lord Hill fiasco. The equestrians wanted a nice thick layer of hog fuel on all the trails for thier candy Axx horses so their hooves could stay nice and soft. Well, as we all know, this being the Pacific Northwet and all, it was a deep slog pile within a couple years. The county went back and had to pay people to scrape it all back down to the underlying mineral base. It's well known in public recreation sectors that padding trail beds with organics is a bad thing. SnoCo Parks was the first local group to realize the maintenance benefits of blowing off the trails up there so let the horsey folks go complain. If they want to do it at Bridle trails where we can't ride and no one in thier right mind hikes, go for it. But, not on multi-use trails. Not that I have anything to say about this.... (Did have several run ins with mountain bikers at Beaver lake when I was blowing out there a few years back.) They all were told by a local shop owner that the leaves "protect" the trail bed for the following spring and I should just leave them.... Bwahahahaha!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Can't make this Sunday, Brian; but I'm hoping to get at least a day or two with you out there! Thanks again for spearheading this -- PVCA's a whole different (and better!) place now.

mtbr member
    would there be any way to reopen the old trail that started somewhere between points 10 and 19 on red alder and went down to mainline? maybe take all the way to point 9. lots of real estate in that area.
    Thanks to everyone who has helped make this area great.
    Last edited by evilbetty; 11-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^Not a chance. If you look at the Trail Use and Maintenance Plan on the SnoCo website, you'll see that area of the park is managed for conservation. The area where we are building the new trail is managed for recreation.

We had a good work party today - besides the usual PVCA crew consisting of two Doug's, Alan, John and Dave we welcomed Logan for his first ever work party (thanks Logan!). Apologies to the hardcore XC guys who like riding through foot deep water and mud holes, but we fixed a few today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm a recent convert (2 yrs) to blowing the leaves off the trails. Best practice varies with the soil of course, but in the South Puget Sound region, when in doubt, blow it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You guys rock

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Pretty sure I rode thru the before & after of that pic. You guys were doing some excellent work on Cascara. I'll keep my eye out for the next work party and try to make it. Thanks for all your hard work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Man why's everyone getting rid of all the fun mud holes Seems like every trail now is dry and clean as a baby's bottom around here. Anyway, thanks for all the work you guys are doing, I don't know the first thing about building/maintaining trails so I'm assuming it's a good thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all the hard work up there Woodway!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Thanks PVCA crew!

Thanks for all the work you do out there Brian and PVCA locals. I'm excited about the planned improvements, they sound fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    We've got a few projects planned at PVCA for this winter:

1. First, light maintenance on the trails we worked so hard to rebuild over the last two years: Cascara, Lloyd, Red Alder and the Plateau loops. I've been out with the blower this week clearing the trails and was very happy to see that they are all generally in good shape so I expect this to go fast.

2. We plan to re-route that fall-line section at the north end of Red Alder using a couple of climbing turns that should be fun to ride.

3. The county has given us approval to add a new trail from WP22 to WP23 (you can find them on the map here), we envision this as a flowier alternative to the current Two Trees trail between those waypoints.

I've posted the first work party on the Evergreen calendar and I hope we can get some new folks to join us this year.

Note that Evergreen receives grant credit for trail work hours put in at PVCA - by coming out you not only make the trails better, but you also help Evergreen!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys - the crew has put in a lot of work over the past couple of years.

We've scheduled another work party for Sunday and welcome anyone who wants to come dig in the dirt.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

I rode all the PVCA trails today - there are some water holes on Red Alder, Ephemeral and the small loop on the plateau, but everything else is in really good shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Also if you work for Boeing, Microsoft or any of the other hourly volunteer match companys you can summit your hours to your company and they will cut Evergreen a check. So if you come out to do trail work and work for one of these companys look in to this, it's a big help.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We worked on re-routing the fall line section of Red Alder today. Had three new trail workers join us - sweet! We will be out again next Sunday and welcome all help. All of PVCA is in good shape right now.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Spotted some trail gnomes out in their native environment today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Allan, all you need is some pointed ears. John, you need some more gnomish headgear! :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all your hard work guys! And nice shirts!!
    Spotted some trail gnomes out in their native environment today.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Paradise update - the trails are in great condition right now. We finished and opened up a short re-route on the north end of Red Alder and will be moving down to the South end of the park to work on existing trails and start clearing the corridor for a brand new trail. Work parties will be posted to the Evergreen calendar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Paradise update - the trails are in great condition right now. We finished and opened up a short re-route on the north end of Red Alder and will be moving down to the South end of the park to work on existing trails and start clearing the corridor for a brand new trail. Work parties will be posted to the Evergreen calendar.
    Is the challenging uphill rooty section in that north end of Red Alder closed/decommissioned? Or is it going to remain an option?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all the hard work out there y'all!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Is the challenging uphill rooty section in that north end of Red Alder closed/decommissioned? Or is it going to remain an option?
    Decommissioned. But we think you'll like the re-route we built. We took pains to keep it in character with the rest of Red Alder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast