Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Decommissioned. But we think you'll like the re-route we built. We took pains to keep it in character with the rest of Red Alder.
    I'm sure it'll be fine. On Saturday, I saw where it took off to the left but I didn't see where it tied back in to the trail up the hill. I guess I was focused. I'm looking forward to checking out the new trail tread.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Another WP posted for Sunday. Help is always welcome and appreciated.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We started work on the new trail today by clearing a line to re-route a portion of the Two-Trees trail. Once the re-route is done we will start work on the new trail (which will utilize the portion of two-trees that we are re-routing). See the red lines on the map below for the plan.

Brother Len came out to help today and after clearing the new trail line we hiked over and dropped that tree hanging across Ephemeral. Dropping hanging trees is so much fun!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Evergreen is going to put on a trail school at Paradise on March 16th. After the classroom session we will head over to the park and work on the section of trail that we cleared out last weekend.

Mike has not updated the calendar post yet, but here are the details:

Date: Sunday March 16th
    Time: 8:00-5:00
    Location: Meet at Hidden River Middle School, 9224 Paradise Lake Rd. Snohomish WA 98296
    Cost: FREE

Sign up on the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance Calendar. You don’t need to be an Evergreen Member to sign up, but you will need to create a login on the site (it’s free):

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Due to classroom space limitations, signups will be limited and handled on a first-come/first-served basis.

Details:
    Learn how to build and maintain sustainable singletrack from the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance’s professional trail crew leads. The day will include 4 hours of classroom work (to be done at Hidden River Middle School) followed by four hours of hands-on trail work at the nearby Paradise Valley Conservation Area. Lunch and Snacks will be provided.

What to bring:
    • Water, snack and a pack to haul it in.
    • Work boots or heavy duty hiking boots.
    • Appropriate clothing for working outside (be prepared for rain!).
    • Safety glasses and work gloves.

We'll provide:
    • Classroom and trail project.
    • All the tools.
    • Gloves and water bottles if you need them.
    • Lunch and Clif bar snacks.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Tyler and I were out today pin flagging the new section of trail we are going to work on as part of the Paradise Valley trail school on Sunday. Still a few spots left if you want to join us!

Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    May 2004
    May be able to show up since the snow sports look a little iffy this weekend. I'll let you know later today.... Excited to see the final layout for the new line.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Yup, it was a wet one yesterday. Despite the rain we had 12 people show up for the trail school. Mike and Tyler did a great job with the classroom portion and then we all make the quick drive over to the park and made the short hike to put words into practice.

We nearly completed the Two Trees re-route plus Len and I were able to get about 1/3 of the new trail corridor sawed out.

Thanks to the brave ones who come out to help yesterday. We'll be posting continuing workparties to the Evergreen calendar.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We opened up the Two-Trees re-route today. Paradise is in darn good shape for riding despite all the rain this month. Next weekend we will be working on the new section of trail from WP23 towards WP21.

Work Party here:

Evergreen MTB Calendar

The re-route is Allan-approved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great work out there guys. Rode PVCA today and it was in fantastic shape. Record setting rain in March, yet the trails were perfectly moist, with just a few small mud holes here and there.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
    Great work out there guys. Rode PVCA today and it was in fantastic shape. Record setting rain in March, yet the trails were perfectly moist, with just a few small mud holes here and there.
    Thanks pdiddy! The crew has really worked hard out there over the last few years and it shows.

New trail construction continuing this weekend. Any help is appreciated!

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We were out today replacing a broken stringer on the Lloyd bridge. The stringers were all logs that we salvaged when we built the bridge in 2009 and a few are starting to fail.

We replaced the broken one with pressure treated wood today and re-installed the deck. I've got a scout who is going to replace the entire bridge under-structure with pressure treated for his Eagle scout project.

Amazing what you find under a bridge when you strip the decking:

If it's your's you'll need to negotiate with Doug Chase

Beautiful day in the woods!

mtbr member
    Thank you. I have noticed a couple of questionable sections, wonderful that you were able to repair them before they failed
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

mtbr member
    Woodway etal great work on the bridge. With 5 years on that structure can we start making any observation of the longevity of locally sourced material. Is it hemlock or Doug-fir that's failing first? Are the pealed logs lasting longer than the unpealed logs?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    To be honest I did not spend a lot of time looking at the species of the failed stringer. With the bark off it's a little tougher to identify :-)

90% of the stringers and cross members are in good shape. The cedar decking is in good shape. We could continue to make spot repairs and I would expect the bridge to be good for at least another five years. But as long as there is a scout willing to replace the understructure may as well take him up on it.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Some of the stringers were reclaimed buzinga wood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2