mtbr member
    May 2004

PV 911 for mountain biker?

Anyone here know who it was that died out there today?

mtbr member
    No aid cars at the park when I did a loop at 4pm

Man dies on biking trail near Maltby | HeraldNet.com - Local news

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Rip

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was out there today. I entered on 107th Drive around 2:00, I live just down the street from there. There were a couple aide cars and 4 or 5 Sheriff patrol cars parked at the trail head and no people around so I knew something bad happened. I didn't get very far down Southern Traverse before the Sheriff stopped me.

He told me there was a fatality but he couldn't remember the name of the trail. More than that I don't know. I feel bad for him and his family. Rest in Peace.
    Last edited by InlawBiker; 04-13-2014 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Removed.
    Last edited by Tarekith; 04-13-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Very sad news.

Lets not speculate as to what happened- details will come with time.

Condolences to the deceased and his family.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sounds like it was someone from here in Duvall. Won't throw out the name until we're sure. Either way. Sad news all around. Unfortunately, I know first hand what everyone involved went through. I'm sure they did everything they could. good reminder to gut check how trivial some of the things we argue about on here can be...

Moist and Delicious
    Did we ever get a name, or what officially happened? I hadn't heard.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have one. Not confirmed yet. Pretty sure though. I assume Woodway will be talking to the county soon about it given our conversation and discussions for more trail opportunities coming up.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    The rider and cause of death have been ID'd in the same paper as the article above.

A sad day, for sure.
    Rolland

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sagebrush Slug View Post
    The rider and cause of death have been ID'd in the same paper as the article above.

A sad day, for sure.
    Not that we need anything salacious here, but it'd be nice to know the whole story. Was he riding over his capabilities? Was he going too fast? Did he just fall off a ladder? Etc.

RIP, sir. I didn't know you, but I am saddened by your death.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Sad story. best wishes to his family.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey, out of respect, let's not go there.
    Thanks
    FM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Hey, out of respect, let's not go there.
    Thanks
    FM
    +1000. It's just sad. We all push our luck sometimes, not just on a bike,but in all outdoor sports. I'm sorry for the family.

I didn't do it
    I'm just starting to get up there in the years now and so when I hear about older folks getting severely injured or even dying I would like to know how and why. Is it a heart condition, a crash, or something else?

*edited*
    Last edited by Mookie; 04-18-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I agree with you. However, your post does not shed any light on what happened to this gentleman. Mountain biking is a lethal sport. I think there are folks who are maybe unaware of just how lethal it can be. Myself included. I have met personally with a man who broke his neck at paradise valley while riding an elevated structure. Most folks would think little of riding the structure that he fell from.

Folks need to understand just how lethal this sport is. You would like to know why. The answer to your question is that traveling quickly in close proximity to the ground, rocks and trees can be lethal. If you don't understand that then don't do it,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    I agree with you. However, your post does not shed any light on what happened to this gentleman.
    His post was not intended to shed light on how he passed. he shared an updated article that ID'd the rider who passed.

Yes Mnt biking has it's dangers, I don't think I would go as far as calling it "lethal". If we call Mnt biking lethal, i would argue pretty much everything we do in life is lethal.

I would also add XC riding is pretty darn safe, you can increase the danger by adding speed and or features like jumps, drops, step ups, so on. I would say I myself am way more prone to injury when I ride Whistler than say somewhere like PV.

Late last season a guy from Idaho (I think) passed away up at North Shore by falling off a feature and hitting his head, from what i heard, it was a very slow speed accident.

Any death doing a activity you love would really suck, but I think most will agree we are willing to take the risk.

I can think of way worse ways to perish. If I had to chose, I would do it while doing something I love. Including test flying a airplanes (my job)

Next time we ride, lets ride in memory of Steve.

Moist and Delicious
    Once, while visiting a friend in the hospital, I saw that he was sharing a room with another gentleman who had a halo on. Turns out he fell off a very small ladder on Blue Bucket, when the trail was "still rideable." That said, I rode it the very next day, just to check it out. I can see how he was hurt.... you stop there, you crash. As Jimba said, the sport is inherently dangerous, but lethal? No. You can die, yes. I can die typing this paragraph too. It's a little kneejerk.

All this said, I don't see why discussing his death or "how he died" isn't in good taste. I'm not picking on Scott or anyone else here, but I am curious what exactly happened. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply had a heart attack and fell, injuring himself further. Again, it's not salacious. In a way, those who ride the area deserve to know to protect the area we love from those that would set any crash as a reason to ban bikers from this trail and others. News is good, as long as it doesn't step into gossip. YMMV.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    It is not just a matter of taste. There is also perception, liability, and impact to future access & advocacy efforts to consider.

Maybe somebody who knew Steven would like to post some reflections on who he was and how he enjoyed mountain biking- that would be good use of this space.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    From the plethora of FB posts on my wife's friends feed, he was well loved and known in the valley. Never rode with him nor even know he was a biker though.

I do know now how/where it happened and for perceived "taste" and/or "liability" concerns, PM me if anyone just has to know.

Just roll it......
    That really sucks. RIP to the rider and condolences to his family.

BTW, I'd in no way ever describe mt. biking as "lethal". Its more likely that i could be killed by some idiot texting and driving than riding my bike. If it were indeed "lethal", I wouldn't encourage my daughter to ride her bike on trails.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    BTW, I'd in no way ever describe mt. biking as "lethal". Its more likely that i could be killed by some idiot texting and driving than riding my bike. If it were indeed "lethal", I wouldn't encourage my daughter to ride her bike on trails.
    No doubt, having lost a friend to road cycling, it's obvious that mountain biking is 100x safer than bike commuting or road riding. At PV, you ride past plenty of signs warning you of potential risk, and there are "safe" ride-around options that can be chosen. Unfortunately with road biking you aren't likely to get any warning if there's an accident coming.

My daughter loves riding at PV, but there's no way I'd let her ride in the bike lane right in front of my house.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Folks need to understand just how lethal this sport is. You would like to know why. The answer to your question is that traveling quickly in close proximity to the ground, rocks and trees can be lethal. If you don't understand that then don't do it,
    You completely missed what I was saying about this. I'm what some might call an expert rider. I completely understand the risks of mountain biking, having experienced many of the unfortunate outcomes first hand.

And btw, I don't necessarily call mountain biking lethal, yes it has an element of danger though.

*edit* Lots of good points since my last post - didn't read them until after this post.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives