mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Puyallup/South Sound: Dash Point rideable? Other areas?

I'm in Puyallup for the holidays visting from SoCal. I rode Clark's Creek Park today from my inlaw's house and was able to get a two hour ride in with around 1500K of climbing.

I can keep myself entertained with Clark's Creek and also have my CX bike for stuff on the road (although I get the feeling that the locals aren't used to watching for cyclists).

Based on what I've gathered from the Web the next best place to ride locally is Dash Point.

Is it rideable in the winter? Do they really enforce that pass? What if I show up in the morning during the week?

Otherwise, the next closest load up and drive to place appears to be Banner.

Any other local trails in Puyallup I'm overlooking? Prefer not to load up and drive far. Trying to get at least two hours and 2K of climbing per ride.

Inlaws live near the WSU ag. study area. I think there are a couple of other parks nearby that may have trails. Any suggestions appreciated.

habitual line-stepper
    there's not a whole lot of riding in puyallup. henry's ridge/black diamond/summit ridge is probably 35-40 mins northeast of puyallup, mostly by freeway. you could string together 2 hours of riding easy, but there isn't a whole lot of vert to be gained. i've not been to dash point, personally. there's a thread floating around here with good directions for loops and some vids:

Dash Point State Park

i'm guessing you know of evergreen's trail wiki? if not:

Main Page - Evergreen Trail Guide

good luck & happy riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the link to the thread, Kanai. That has what I'm looking for about Dash Point. Yes I've checked out the Evergreen trail guide. It's a good tool to zero in on riding spots but it seems like the threads here give you a better picture of what to expect and how to put together rides.

Here's what I rode yesterday:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 15 miles near Puyallup | Times and Records | Strava

Here's what I rode today:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 16 miles near Puyallup | Times and Records | Strava

I have to say that Clark's Creek Park is the gift that keeps on giving. Lots of fun to ride for an out of towner.

I'll probably ride Dash Point the day after Christmas. We are going to visit my brother on Whidbey so I'm planning on riding Fort Ebby. Once we are back in Puyallup I'll probably load up and either do Black Diamond or Capitol Forrest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you want someone to guide you through Banner let me know. I am pretty much always up for a afternoon ride. It has some good semi technical single track and the trails are in pretty good shape right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thehotrodpig View Post
    If you want someone to guide you through Banner let me know. I am pretty much always up for a afternoon ride. It has some good semi technical single track and the trails are in pretty good shape right now.
    Hey that would be great. I'd really appreciate it. My plan is to ride Dash Point tomorrow. We are heading to Whidbey on Tuesday to see my brother (hopefully I can do a ride at Ft. Ebby) and will be back Wednesday night. We start our drive back to SoCal on Jan 1. So a ride at Banner on the 29th or 30th would work for me.

I'll send you a PM to get things rolling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went out and rode Dash Point today. I staged at the Mormon church near Hoyt and had a trail list written down on a piece of paper but that went out the window as soon as I got into the woods.

Luckily, I only rode around in circles for about 25 minutes or so till I met a local named Joe. Joe showed me around for a little over an hour. Thanks a lot Joe for playing host and showing an out of towner around. Hopefully you see this thread and send me a PM so we can meet up for future rides.

Joe had to peel off and do some post-Christmas shopping with his son. I was heading back up IMBA when I ran into two more locals named Paul and Matt. They were kind enough to let me tag along with them during their ride and I was able to re ride and do some new combinations as well. Thanks to the three nice locals I met, I was able to get two solid hours in and explore a new riding area.

If you guys are ever in SoCal please let me know. I've got bikes, gear, plus am good friends with my LBS and can get demos. Thanks again!

Going to try and ride Banner next with HotRodPig and maybe get in on a group ride at Black Diamond before I head home.

Here's today's ride on Strava:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 13 miles near Federal Way | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Missed out on riding Ft. Ebby when visiting my brother. The wife was starting to drop hints that our holiday was starting to feel like a mountain biking trip so I left my bikes at the inlaws during the overnighter on Whidbey.

I also didn't make it up to Banner to ride with hotrodpig. I'll look you up for a Banner tour when we are up here again in the Spring.

Went out again this morning before the rain and did another loop at Clark's Creek Park in Puyallup. I'm going to ride the CX bike out on that Orting River Trail tomorrow. I just found out about some event in Renton called the Tapeworm TT on Saturday. It's looking like I've got permission to head up there and ride in it so that's another spot I'll get to log during my trip.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and PMs. I also missed out on a weekly Wednesday shop NR at Black Diamond because of a late return and the weather. At least next time we come up I'll know who to email well ahead of time letting them know I'm in town.