i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

PSA: Wear Your Orange Blaze at Tokul West

...although it might just make it easier for them to hit you.

Belated warning, but a group of us were out there on Sunday afternoon and had a sketchy encounter with a group of east King County's finest. We had just exited Middle D and were getting ready to head up the road towards Bobsled when we saw a pickup parked at the junction.

There were three hunters (two older guys and a younger woman) totally camo'ed out carrying rifles and sidearms who started looking pretty nervous and squirrelly as I rolled up. Gave a friendly greeting and got a, "you guys make a lot of noise" from one of the crazy-meth-eyed dudes. It was pretty clear that they didn't want to chat so I wished them well and headed up the hill to Bobsled. A couple of the guys in our group behind me said that the dude had asked whether we had passes to ride out here and was getting more aggressive. They didn't engage him (we do have passes, btw), and followed me up the road.

They actually looked like they were lost -- earlier in the day, we had seen truck tire tracks at the other end of Middle D where someone had roosted, turning around before the creek crossing. So watch yerselves out there, peeps!

Hunting is allowed on Hancock property and it is deer season, but I'm not sure whether they're supposed to be in the Tokul East/West zone. Juice?

EMBA Member
    Dang I'm heading out there after work today. If you all never hear from me again, you'll know what happened.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Hunting is allowed on Hancock property and it is deer season, but I'm not sure whether they're supposed to be in the Tokul East/West zone. Juice?
    They do allow cast and blast on their land, with a motorized permit and valid hunting/fishing license. As long as they go in through one of Hancock's access gates I guess they're allowed back there, though that's a loooooong drive on confusing logging roads. The only hunter I saw there in the past was poaching and has since been caught and thrown in the slammer, according to a few locals I talked to. The legend of Crazy Ivan.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    But in Russia, bear poaches you!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    But in Russia, bear poaches you!
    Romania too!

We rode Xanadu on Saturday and holy shite, there were so many hunters on the road. I'd say it's good to wear hunter orange anywhere hunting is allowed right now.

EB

mtbr member
    Sunday we drove in to do some trail work on the Golden Spike. Where we park is at the end of a fairly long skid rd. Two different times we saw trucks drive up and then turn around..and that was during the limited time we were at our vehicles, not out working on the trail. Glad I locked my bike in the back of the baja. The funny thing is I rarely see deer out there (if that's what they are looking for). There's got to be better places to look.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We saw a couple of hunters up at E. Tiger on Saturday too. Definitely wear your neon orange. The eighties are back in style anyway so it's all good. :-)
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.