mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Protect Your King County Parks - Vote Yes on Prop 1 & Send Your Ballot in by Aug 6th!

If you are a resident of King County, then the King County voter's ballot should have already arrived in your mail. This ballot includes Proposition 1, a King County Parks Levy that would renew the two levies set to expire at the end of the year.

Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance wholeheartedly supports this levy! King County has been an important partner for mountain biking in the county. We encourage you to consider the value you receive from county parks, and vote "Yes" on Proposition 1!

Here’s why…

For more than five years King County Parks has received no general fund support, operating instead on property tax levies approved by voters in 2007 and expiring this year. Proposition 1 is a 6-year property tax levy that raises revenue for the maintenance and operations of King County's beloved regional parks system consisting of over 200 parks and 175 miles of regional trails.

The money from Prop 1 levy would be used to maintain and expand the KC parks system - and is crucial to providing essential services as well as creating new opportunities for recreation (including mountain biking). It ensures that our County parks can remain clean, safe and open.

King County Parks have 180 miles of backcountry trails - many of which are open to mountain biking and bikeable year round. The expiring levies were the sole source of funding for the construction – and ongoing maintenance – of Duthie Hill Park, Grand Ridge, and many other trails and facilities that we as mountain bikers value enormously.

King County Parks and Open Spaces with mountain biking:
    • Duthie Hill
    • Grand Ridge
    • Henry's Ridge/Black Diamond
    • Taylor Mountain
    • Tolt-MacDonald
    • Soaring Eagle
    • Big Finn Hill
    • Spring Lake/Lake Desire
    • Green River
    • And many more, plus great new areas in process

Evergreen has mountain bike representation on the Parks Levy Task Force, which developed and recommended the basis for this proposed levy. This modest levy proposal is for a property tax levy of 18.77 cents per $1,000 of assessed value.

This translates to only about $56 per year for a family living in a $300,000 home. Yet it will generate $60 million per year from 2014-2019.

If this levy fails, and it's success is very uncertain, some county parks might close or be returned to cities. Parks staff and maintenance will be eliminated. And new parks would be nothing more than a dream.

So if King County parks improve your quality of life, please vote YES on Prop 1. And make sure to get your ballot in the mail by August 6th!

Thanks for supporting the cause!!

Stacy
    Attachment 818613
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Stacy - you might hit up Evergreen's contacts over at the Cascade Bicycle Club and ask them to get the word out.

Edit: Nevermind, they already did!

Cascade Bike Blog ? Cascade Bicycle Club ? Seattle, Washington

mtbr member
    My wife and i voted yes and i got 3 others to vote yes too!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been chatting with my non-biking friends and asked them to vote yes, as this benefits more than just mountain bikers. Going to talk with co-workers in the next few days as well.