mtbr member
    Aug 2010

"Proposed" Bike Park in Black Diamond

Over the last couple of months there have been discussions and meetings with King County Parks, Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance, Cyclocross promoters and myself. A couple of weeks ago we got the green light from the county to put a bike park in the area outline in yellow on the map (county property between Henry's and Summit Ridge). The main focus was initially to find a home for our cyclocross community with a designated training area and another south end venue. Also, looking at a place for a skills area to conduct more mountain bike training classes. But, this area is big enuf to do more. We have tons of XC trails already in the area.

So, I am posting this on MTBR to collect up more ideas for the area. Also, looking for anyone interested in being involved in a committee to help develop the plan. Feel free to reply to the post or send me a PM.

Many of us are very excited with this opportunity!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Proposed" Bike Park in Black Diamond-bike-park-area.jpg  

Biking Like Crazy!
    Very cool SRG. This would would be closer to me than than Duthie
    and I like the Big Parking Lot area!
    Might be close enough for me to actually beable to help even (instead of giving $$).

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hamster wheel.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hamster wheel with berms. ;-)

Last word is all yours...
    First thing that comes to mind is: Great News! Good on you for your efforts. I'm very excited to see what happens with this.
    --
    -bp

Tuck & roll...
    Very exciting!

mtbr member
    More great news for the best riding area around!

Thx SRG - You ROCK!
    Ride ON!
    Just an old bike geek. Lifelong Cyclist. MTBer since '86... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Excited to see this. Only thing that makes me clinch is thinking of what Duthie has become. I hate the closely condensed trails and "zoo" feeling every time I go there. I love the wilderness and openness of black diamond trails. I hope it doesn't become similar to Duthie.... Honestly I think the amount of trails that are there now is pretty good, just in need of some connecting and etc. Maybe I'm crazy....

mtbr member
    The "bike park" wont affect the existing trails or change the feel of them. It just develops an unused "open" area for various types of biking. Think of it as an add-on to the existing area which allows for more variety!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mr. Lynch addressed that well. We already have close to 35 miles of single track in the greater Black Diamond/ Maple Valley area. We would like a skills/ training area and the cyclocross guys would like a south end course.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With the ample parking shown. I can see this new area as a good starting off place where folks could get warmed up or noodle around while waiting for others to spread out and hit the singletrack. Having good signage directing folks out of the skills area to the network will really help. One of many things noticed at the Doof is that you can't have enough signage...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is great news! This area has become one of my favorite places to ride. Thank you and everyone involved for all your hard work and efforts, the new addition is going to be awesome...

As previously stated, there is plenty of existing XC trails, which are great for mountain biking, but also enough to support cyclocross training/racing and trail running/racing without the addition or need for more.

This is an area that has lots of existing homes and families and planned future growth and development. Here is a list of my personal suggestions for the new area:

BMX Track
    Skatepark (bikes allowed)
    Pumptrack
    Dirt Jumps
    Practice/Skills Area
    Parking

This will compliment the existing trail network and freeride park and bring more family and community support for "long-term" success and existence.
    Last edited by Carmichael; 04-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd be glad to offer chainsaw work and just over all shovel labor. Send me a PM if I can be of use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Any Trials stuff? There seems to be very little left in western WA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Carmichael, everything you have listed is what we currently are looking at. New parking areas were already in planning and the county should start those in July.

A trials area had not been brought up before but we can toss that in the hat also.

Zombie Eater, thanks for the offer on the saw. Stay tuned!