mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Possibly moving to Seattle...questions.

There's a good chance I'll be moving to Seattle in the spring and have a few questions.
    1. I have a brand new Niner Jet 9 RDO that I love, but unsure it'll be the right bike for the local trails up there. It's perfect here in DFW. Is this a popular set up up there? If I have to sell it, I want to do it now so it's still in good shape. Would look at the Bronson or Mach 6 if they are better options for the terrain.
    2. Looks like not a lot of XC racing happening up there, is enduro what's taking over?
    3. Looking to live in issaquah just to make sure I'm close to tiger mt and duthie. I'll be working in Bellevue. Should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any info you can help with.

Pedro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A Jet 9 is perfect for XC on both sides of the mountains here, so if most of your riding is cross country I would keep it. Issaquah has a ton of great trails, so you'll be in a great spot.
    There is plenty of good xc racing. There are the Budu races for early season training. Then the racing moves east for the Fat Tire Revolution Series rideviciouscycle.com Jake does an amazing job with those. There is also the NW Epic race series with a small set of endurance races. Add in a few races in Bellingham and the Gorge and you've really got a full schedule.

mtbr member
    1. If you love your Niner, then ride it.
    2. Several XC series, mostly in the spring. Enduro series runs throughout the season, state wide.
    3. Plenty of a large variety of trails close to Issaquah. You'll be happy. Check out the trail wiki on evergreenmtb.org

mtbr member
    Also, lots of great 50 and 100 mile races through out WA and OR.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Lots of people ride lots of different bikes here. The sweet spot seems to be about 5" of travel do-all bikes in whatever wheel size floats your boat, but it's really more about personal preference. Your bike would be super fun for a lot of our local xc riding, the high-country goodness in the summer and that kind of thing. If I were in your shoes I'd keep your bike and see how it goes. The only reason I'd sell it and get a Bronson or similar is if you think you'll start playing on the jump lines or more gravity oriented trails around here.

XC racing hasn't been huge here, but as Slop said there are a few series around that are fun.

Issaquah sounds like the perfect spot for you. If you want to be able to ride to the trails live close to Grand Ridge Trail, Duthie or Soaring Eagle. If you want to be further out and a more rural feel you could live in one of the neighborhoods near Tokul.

Here's a map roughly showing the trail heads near Issaquah as red dots. Old Town Issaquah for the town feel, pedal to Grand Ridge. Issaquah Highlands for a newer development, pedal to a mid-Grand Rdige trail head at Central Park or on Grand Ridge Drive. Then for Duthie or Soaring Eagle there's the surrounding neighbornoods.

Possibly moving to Seattle...questions.-trailheads.jpg
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's a nice place. Or Redmond is a nice place too but more expensive

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback.
    juice- noticed you're a realtor... might need one of those too. Will contact you via your page with questions unrelated to MTB'ing.

Honestly, cannot wait to hear back from my employer to see if the move will happen or not.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdelbusto View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback.
    juice- noticed you're a realtor... might need one of those too. Will contact you via your page with questions unrelated to MTB'ing.
    I can give a very positive recommendation for justin -- he knows the market really well and will work for you! He was my realtor for a new place last year, and has been an agent for a bunch of other friends and acquaintances.

Plus, he makes a donation directly to Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance for every sale. It's almost like you're doing trailwork...

Quote Originally Posted by pdelbusto View Post
    Honestly, cannot wait to hear back from my employer to see if the move will happen or not.
    Hope it works out 'cause you'll love it here!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Coming from TX myself (Austin) a short travel FS bike like your 9er is fine up here. In fact I find the trails to be generally smoother up here than in Austin/TX in general. A lot fewer rocks, more roots. Plan on changing your tires. What works in TX does not work up here. Can't go wrong with Issaquah for biking, though you will have to prepare for lots 'o traffic merging onto Bellevue way or 405 from 90.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    Coming from TX myself (Austin) a short travel FS bike like your 9er is fine up here. In fact I find the trails to be generally smoother up here than in Austin/TX in general. A lot fewer rocks, more roots. Plan on changing your tires. What works in TX does not work up here. Can't go wrong with Issaquah for biking, though you will have to prepare for lots 'o traffic merging onto Bellevue way or 405 from 90.
    Thanks, jjcar. I ride on Maxxis Ikons down here, but imagine the Ardents would be a better choice for Seattle? Yeah, TX trails although not steep, are technical and rough in their own way with a ton of roots and rocky (as you move down to central TX).

I should hear back from work in the next week or so, but cannot stop thinking about the possibility of actually moving there.

Year round riding it looks like? I don't mind getting wet and cold weather is fine. When it rains here, the trails close for a couple of days. A couple of years ago, we went like a month without riding the trails because it would rain for a day or two, stop raining for a day or two but not long enough to let the trails dry, then it would rain again.
    The soil here doesn't drain at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run the Maxxis Beavers and they work great up here. The soil is completely different here, very soft, porous and loamy. I had to pretty much throw out all of my TX tire knowledge and start from scratch. Much less technical that Austin trails, but much bigger variety and fun.

You can ride year round, you just need to adapt a little. Rain is no longer a ride deterrent, and weather reports are pretty useless up here. Took me a while to get used to riding no matter the weather, but it's very doable up here.

Unfortunately there is no TexMex up here, so load up before you move...

mtbr member
    I love my Ardents for 3/4 of the year around here, but they are pretty slick on wet roots. Well anything wet really. Running Minion DHF Maxx Terras front and rear for the winter months.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.