mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Possible move to Everett, WA - looking for information

The lady and I might be moving north from Eugene, OR to Everett in the very near future and am looking for the skinny on the area. I did a little light research and the area seems to be like a suburb of Seattle. It doesn't appeal to me that much, but it'll be a nice change of pace and at least we'll still be in the PNW (both of us natives, Portland and Bend). Ideally, we'd like to move to Bellingham, but until we find good jobs there, we might settle on Everett. We're in our late 20's and are interested in what the culture is like immediately around us. Is the city progressive? Bike friendly? Is there some good trails near by? Within a half hour? Within an hour? I ride up and down hills, with a preference for downhills and progressive jumps, however I do not mind riding uphills in the least (I do enjoy me some shuttle days though). I read about Japanese Gulch, which seems like it'll do for inner city riding (as long as night riding is allowed at least), but am interested in knowing the availability of other trails in the area. I have an XC bike, AM bike and will likely be getting an older DH bike soon, so all riding is fair game (PM is fine if trails shouldn't be talked about online).
    I believe Evergreen is the organization for the area I should be getting involved as far as trail days go, is this correct?
    How about bike shops? Anything decent in the area?
    Thanks all,

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You would probably like Duthie Hill (45-60 minutes away) and Stevens Pass bike park (~90 minutes away). For closer options, check the Evergreen trail info page. All the trail info you need can be found here: http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/wiki/Main_Pag

I cannot comment on what it is like living in Everett nor the bike shops as I rarely am up in Everett.

I didn't do it
    Any particular reason you picked Everett? There's a recent thread on moving to washington that might be good for starters.
    Move to Washington... Seattle?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

gravity fighter
    I'd hold out for Bellingham.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Any particular reason you picked Everett? There's a recent thread on moving to washington that might be good for starters.
    Move to Washington... Seattle?
    Availability of jobs in our fields, the fact she has an interview. Mostly work. It isn't my ideal place, nor hers. And we are seeing it as a stepping stone for somewhere else, like Bellingham. It'll be a lot easier to interview in Bellingham when we aren't 9 hours drive away. Unfortunately job prospects in Bellingham look thin and we do not have enough money saved to blindly move there to look for, what may be mediocre work...

I've lived ~90% of my life in the wet side of the Pacific Northwest (in the Willamette Valley), so rain, cloudy days, etc aren't an issue. And having lived the last 8ish years in Eugene, I am quite used to homeless. Both of these are in regards to the other thread...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, Everett's not that "progressive" and way more blue collar than Portland or Bend or Eugene. JG is a pretty fun place to ride after work and can keep you entertained. It's bigger than it looks. Lord Hill and the Tree farms are close and there is all season riding on Whidbey Island and up at Anacortes too. Stevens Pass just an hour and a half away has lift served in the summer and is getting better.