mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Port Townsend riding, tomorrow

I have to head out (from Ballard) to Port Townsend tomorrow for work, but should be done there by 1-2pm and was thinking I'd bring my bike along for an afternoon ride if anything is rideable. Has anyone been on the Dungeness-Gold Creek Loop lately? I never ridden anywhere in the area, but the description of it sounds nice if its clear. I also saw on Evergreen Anderson and Gibbs trails, anyone have any beta on those? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's a safe bet that Dungeness-Gold Creek is pretty snowy or at least soupy pretty much all over.

Gibbs was in fantastic shape a few weeks ago, although a few spots on the backside were muddy. Anderson is pretty much the same story. The Connector Trail across from Anderson is in great shape (as you leave the park entrance turn right, go 20 yards, look left across the road). There's also quite a bit of stuff throughout town that's in terrific shape, all pure XC though, although some of it is pretty technical. Unfortunately there aren't any maps for any of it. If you were coming out Thursday I'd say hook up with us at The Broken Spoke for the night ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMUSuperman View Post
    It's a safe bet that Dungeness-Gold Creek is pretty snowy or at least soupy pretty much all over.

Gibbs was in fantastic shape a few weeks ago, although a few spots on the backside were muddy. Anderson is pretty much the same story. The Connector Trail across from Anderson is in great shape (as you leave the park entrance turn right, go 20 yards, look left across the road). There's also quite a bit of stuff throughout town that's in terrific shape, all pure XC though, although some of it is pretty technical. Unfortunately there aren't any maps for any of it. If you were coming out Thursday I'd say hook up with us at The Broken Spoke for the night ride.
    Thanks for the info, I'll toss my bike in and see what I can find, just figured I should try something since I am out that way. So do you have a regular ride on Thursday nights?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, every Thursday we start at the Broken Spoke at 6pm, go for an hour or two through town, and end up at the Pourhouse. Bad weather makes us ride faster. If you enjoy beer even slightly, visit the Pourhouse before you leave town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMUSuperman View Post
    Yep, every Thursday we start at the Broken Spoke at 6pm, go for an hour or two through town, and end up at the Pourhouse. Bad weather makes us ride faster. If you enjoy beer even slightly, visit the Pourhouse before you leave town.
    I've been coming to PT for the Wooden Boat festival with my folks for 20+ years and I've never been to the Pourhouse, sounds like I best check it out tomorrow! I may just have to join you guys some Thursday evening as well.

Weather/conditions permitting, how is Dungeness-Gold Creek? I am really wanting to get out that direction for some rides this year, especially want to check out that ride by Lake Crescent. I'll be driving right by there this weekend as a matter of fact, going backpacking on the Pacific Northwest Trail past Lake Ozette.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Problem is that with any rain, trying to go up certain portions of Dungeness become very slick and trail erosion skyrockets. The Gold Creek side might be more forgiving since it seems that like parts of it are more covered by trees, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    I've been coming to PT for the Wooden Boat festival with my folks for 20+ years and I've never been to the Pourhouse, sounds like I best check it out tomorrow! I may just have to join you guys some Thursday evening as well.

Weather/conditions permitting, how is Dungeness-Gold Creek? I am really wanting to get out that direction for some rides this year, especially want to check out that ride by Lake Crescent. I'll be driving right by there this weekend as a matter of fact, going backpacking on the Pacific Northwest Trail past Lake Ozette.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....