mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Port Gamble or Dungeness Creek?

My girlfriend and I need to run out to Poulsbo tomorrow morning and figured we would sneak in a ride while we were out there. I have not biked out there, so I'm looking for some advice. I've been mountain biking for years and comfortable on most anything in the XC/All Mountain realm. My girlfriend however just started mountain biking. She has good fitness and just finished Evergreen's Women's beginner class last night. (Kudos to Evergreen, the month long class was an awesome experience for her). We will have 2'ish hours to ride and I'd like to explore Dungeness, but is that trail going to be too tough for a beginner? Also, does it make sense to do an out and back there? I know we probably can't knock out the full trail in 2 hours. My backup plan is Port Gamble if Dungeness isn't beginner friendly. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hard to give advise on this, but I will offer this info. Dungy/Gold loop is not going to be done in two hours. Spectacular ride, its hard to even describe with words what this ride offers. I would plan it for a time when you and yours can take the time to soak it all in. The Port Gamble 24 Hours of Mass Destruction that was scheduled this weekend was canceled due to low pre-race registration, those trails are available, maybe a little sloppy in places with the recent rains. Its close to Poulsbo and offers good wandering around with no specific place to go. Also, with a two hour limit you may want to consider Newberry Hill just south near Silverdale. Very nice single track, some tech sections, nothing epic but still will take good 2 hours to do it all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time to reply. I think we will save Dungeness for another weekend for sure. Never heard for Newberry, will check that out too. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Hard to give advise on this, but I will offer this info. Dungy/Gold loop is not going to be done in two hours. Spectacular ride, its hard to even describe with words what this ride offers. I would plan it for a time when you and yours can take the time to soak it all in. The Port Gamble 24 Hours of Mass Destruction that was scheduled this weekend was canceled due to low pre-race registration, those trails are available, maybe a little sloppy in places with the recent rains. Its close to Poulsbo and offers good wandering around with no specific place to go. Also, with a two hour limit you may want to consider Newberry Hill just south near Silverdale. Very nice single track, some tech sections, nothing epic but still will take good 2 hours to do it all.

mtbr member

Port Gamble or Dungeness Creek?

IMO, the Port Gamble trails offer more than the Newberry trails if you've never ridden here. More variety, bigger, and likely more fun for a beginner. I find my wife gets frustrated with some of the Newberry trails as they are slow, tight, twisty, filled with roots and require pretty good balance and technique otherwise you're constantly having to put a foot down - frustrating for a beginner. It is a fun place though.

As for the Dungeness, it's an hour drive from Poulsbo so not the best on a time crunch.

Did you end up riding somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Where are these trails gents? I'm a total noob and would love any info on locations to local trails. I'm actually visiting the area the weekend so I could try one of them out

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Check out the trail wiki on Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club for locations and info...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Check out the trail wiki on Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club for locations and info...
    Awesome, thanks man.