Thread: Port Gamble!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Port Gamble!

They are doing some sweet stuff over there and it is closer than you might think!

Ferry Riding & Port Gamble Trail Riding | Freeheel Vegan

mtbr member
    Awesome review/write up of the local trails. We are hoping to preserve them, with the help of evergreen and the land owners.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, unless you enjoy riding on the road more than (or as much as) on trails, you'd be best served to take the car across next time and spend your riding time exploring the trails up there. There really is a lot of great trail to explore! It will cost you an extra $20 or so but if I had limited ride time it would be worth the price to spend more time on the trails.

You could do a similar trip on the West Seattle ferry to Southworth and ride the trails at Banner Forest. It's only about 4 miles from the ferry terminal to the trailhead/parking area.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Agreed on that point. PG is a little far for my tastes of road riding.
    I do the Banner trick quite a bit, works well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My plan for my next trip over to the peninsula (Olympic and Kitsap) is to ride OAB on the Lower Big Quilcene and then the trails at Port Gamble on the return. That should make a pretty fun-filled day. Now, I just have to find a day when the weather is sunny. I rode the LBQ last year in the quintessential "Olympic Sunshine" and it was fun, but I want to try it dry this time.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Yeah LBQ is a great ride. My last time over there was quite wet as well. Green Mountain is also a great ride on Kitsap for those who haven't explored it yet. It's easy to loop trails together for 8-20+ mile rides in whatever combination of single track and logging roads you prefer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you drive keep in mind ferry wait times, like Sunday afternoon. The road riding goes fast and there's an alternate route around Kingston to the south on the way back.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mtskibum16... Have you posted a trip report that is similar to his one? Previously to this trip zi had no inkling of what was going on at Port Gamble. Maybe you can help me get to Banner?

mtbr member

Port Gamble!

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Mtskibum16... Have you posted a trip report that is similar to his one? Previously to this trip zi had no inkling of what was going on at Port Gamble. Maybe you can help me get to Banner?
    No I haven't. I actually live on Kitsap Peninsula so I'm familiar with the riding. Banner Forest is in Port Orchard, you'll see it in Google maps. It's very close to the Southworth ferry. It's only about a square mile but it has like 20+ miles of singletrack. No real elevation just rolling terrain. Tight twisty root filled trails.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    My plan for my next trip over to the peninsula (Olympic and Kitsap) is to ride OAB on the Lower Big Quilcene and then the trails at Port Gamble on the return. That should make a pretty fun-filled day. Now, I just have to find a day when the weather is sunny. I rode the LBQ last year in the quintessential "Olympic Sunshine" and it was fun, but I want to try it dry this time.
    My apologies for being somewhat off topic. Is there a way to get from LBQ over to Lower Dungeness/Gold Creek w/o having to come back down the road from either one?
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    There are FS roads that connect the Quilcene area to the Palo Alto area, but it's not like you'd connect the two by bike on a single ride. Check Google maps.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    There are FS roads that connect the Quilcene area to the Palo Alto area, but it's not like you'd connect the two by bike on a single ride. Check Google maps.
    Thanks for the answer. Yeah, have searched Google maps time and time again for the past year, and I see the various FS roads listed. The two are very close in fact so I was wondering if anyone had rode the "high" portion of the route.

We drove the low portion by taking "johnny come lately" road all the way over to near Quilcene, and it would be a fun route to do on a cross bike. But the higher route sure looks like more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Thanks for the answer. Yeah, have searched Google maps time and time again for the past year, and I see the various FS roads listed. The two are very close in fact so I was wondering if anyone had rode the "high" portion of the route.

We drove the low portion by taking "johnny come lately" road all the way over to near Quilcene, and it would be a fun route to do on a cross bike. But the higher route sure looks like more fun.
    Yeah, I haven't really explored the area but I'd like to. My guess is there are a ton of old roads, jeep trails, and singletrack that isn't marked on the maps at all. Often you can spot a small clearing in satelite mode or see a faint line in the trees where a trail runs. I have a coworker that rides motos and has an extra bike - I've been thinking about going out with him sometime to explore and really cover some ground. Go figure out some good routes to come back with mountain bikes.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Mtskibum16 if I find anything I will let you and the gang here know. I just did the Dungie portion a few weeks ago, and as usual loved it. As you said, there are so many faint spots on the map indicating a possible path. It seems to my eyes that there was a FS route between the two but it was purposefully severed to make travel between the two areas more difficult. I suspect that's due to not wanting the average citizen getting lost and driving mtn roads they aren't familiar with.

Will plan a weekend this summer to see what I can pull off.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    About 10 years ago a friend of mine did a weekend bike trip from Seattle that connected these 2 valleys via FS roads. Said it was a nice trip.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    About 10 years ago a friend of mine did a weekend bike trip from Seattle that connected these 2 valleys via FS roads. Said it was a nice trip.
    Dave From looking heavily at the maps last week, it looks like the same road that goes to the upper portion of the Gold Creek TH keeps on heading over to Quilcene and vicinity, but it's severed somewhere or gated.

Looking at doing this next week if we don't hit up eastern Oregon since I have a week off coming up.

Will let you guys know for sure.