huckit
    May 2004

Port Angeles Feedback

I currently live in Tahoe, but am looking at a job in Port Angeles.
    I'm hoping to enjoy more riding, less (no) snow, and a great community. Can anyone throw their $.02 in on Port Angels, the riding culture (styles and amount available, I'm a former downhiller, and now enjoy endurance x/c, super D, and enduro). Ideally I'd like to live in a place where I can ride single track most year round (I do not ride road except to get to single track). I also have a family with two small children and value a sense of community and strong school system. Also wondering about any real estate market insight. Responses here or in PM are welcome. Cheers!

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I've not lived on that side of the Sound, and while there are a few here who have I'd give them a couple of days to chime in.

That said, I have to say that PA sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

The school system you'll have to make your own call on, though, but my experience is that small town schools typically all do a great job up to middle school, but from there on it's more up to the parents than the school.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I live in Kitsap, a little less than 2 hours from PA. We make the trip to the PA area to ride often. Distance means little to the proximaty of this area, if you are across the floating bridge (entering Jefferson Co.) you are considred 'near by.' That said, one of best singletrack in the state is the Olympic Adventure trail, just out of PA on 112. Further down 112 is Mt. Muller.To the south, you will find the Dungeness/Gold Creek loop, Another WA top ten rides. Dry Hill in PA offers a committed group of downhillers. Also in Jefferson is the Lower Quilicene River, and if your adventurous, you can find your way, via service roads through the Olympics, all the way to the Gold Creek trail. Gibbs and Anderson Lake, and the Miller Peninsula offers some nice single track systems. Just on the Kitsap side of the floating bridge is Stottlemeyer system, about 4000 acres of singletrack. Check out the WA Evergreen MTB Wiki for more trail info. Good luck.

huckit
    May 2004
    Just did some research on Olympic Adventure trail...looks awesome, and like the tip of the iceberg! Thanks for all the beta so far. Looks like a solid bike culture there. Any additional info, real estate market, schools, year round weather is welcome...keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I live about 2 hours away, and with small kids of my own I don't travel for riding at all nowadays. About 20 years ago I did a very cool ride with a buddy, it was near Sequim (ponounced "squim"), we did a gravel road climb for about 40 min and a long great singletrack decent.
    From what I know of the cimate and other places I've been around there, I think you will really like it so long as you don't mind cool weather most of the year.
    Being on the edge of the mtns you'll have as big of climbs as you want, and the Sequim area is in a rain shadow and stays dry most of the year (somewhere around 15" of rainfall a year?), it's a bit more rainy in PA. I used to race with a guy who was into downhilling in that area, I'm certain there's a lot of great downhill and xc trails around there, with that terrain and forest there has to be.
    Be prepared for 35-45 degree rides all winter, which is really nice if you're prepared.
    The RE market had been down quite a bit, I haven't looked in quite a while, but I'd expect it to be affordable. You know there's surf there too, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I live here in Port Angeles Wa., I think you will
    be happy with the mountain biking around here,
    you got the Dry hill down hill race course right
    outside of PA. , and the Olympic adventure route
    is 21 miles one way, Dungeness gold creek loop is
    is really nice some really fun down hills there,
    and the you got Mt. muller nice views and fun
    down hill doing the loop clock wise.
    those are just a few of the main ones .

The available single track mtb here on the olympic peninsula
    is quite good, I dont really feel much need to take road trips else
    where, I might take one or two trips in summer off the
    peninsula.
    Winter riding here is quite good, the Adventure Route makes
    for great winter riding well drained, and we got winter
    group night rides there .

Mt. Muller.

Adventure Route .

Dungeness Gold creek Loop.

Last edited by Lonecrow; 03-16-2013 at 08:09 AM.

huckit
    May 2004
    Pictures can say 1,000 words....thanks Lonecrow! Looks the mtb scene is what I am looking for. Thanks to all for chiming in...looks I could get by with the biking part of the move

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm originally from PA and agree with Lonecrow. There are some old school local fav's hidden in them hills as well if you enjoy a long steep climb followed by a steep descent. Look around off of the adventure route and behind the regular dry hill riding area. Foothills is also an option in the summer for a quick xc sesh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We are also looking at relocating to Port Angeles.

We were just in Port Townsend on the way from Bellingham to Olympia, but we didn't take time to scope out the riding scene as we didn't know we'd be considering a move to the Olympic Peninsula.

So, I have more general questions about living and working in PA, winter weather blues, backcountry ski scene, etc...

We are in the health industry and would have secure jobs, kids are college age, so this is our empty nest move. We now live in East Tennesse, tons of riding out here, but too hot and humid for me, so looking forward to cooler weather.

Any thoughts?

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

[...] So, I have more general questions about living and working in PA, winter weather blues, backcountry ski scene, etc... [...]

Any thoughts?
    I think you'll drink more coffee, after you move, yes you will.

East Tennessee's a fairly diverse area; my mom's parents were in Dayton and the Olympic Peninsula kind of reminds me of that part of Tennessee, only a lot taller and with better fishing.

Personally I don't see how you could go wrong.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Skype interview tonight, fingers crossed

Can anyone chime in about weather, i.e. how cloudy is it compared to Seattle, Portland, Bellingham?

We get ~50" of rain in the Tennessee Valley, so 30" is going to be "dry". I do look forward to visiting Sequim on rainy days.

Do folks commute between Squim and PA?

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    It's a lot cloudier in PA vs. Sequim in my opinion. Not really a comparison to PDX since its so much further south. Commuting should be easy since they aren't far apart.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Justin Vander Pol
    It's not the amount of rain you need to think about in WA. It's the amount of sun and low cloud cover, though that does correlate closely with rain, it just won't relate to anything you're used to out east. We get lots of drizzle, but not a lot of heavy rain so our total rain numbers are low. Variations in weather are highly localized due to rainshadowing from the mountains.

Read this:
    Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Rain Shadow Secrets

and then there's a zoomed in map here where you can see Sequim and PA a bit better.
    Seattle's 'natural umbrella' comes through | Weather Blog | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

You can go from 15" of rain to 60" of rain (and corresponding amounts of sun) in less than 10 miles.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a rare free day in the middle of the week next week and have decided to headed out to the peninsula (I live in Ballard) for some long overdue riding. I'd like to ride most of the day Wednesday, and a quick ride Thursday morning, hoping to be back in Seattle by about noon. I have read about the Dungeness Trail, Mt Muller, and now the Adventure Route mentioned above. I also read somewhere about a scenic ride around Lake Crescent? My question is which of these routes would be the most fun this time of year? I love to climb, love getting in some nice views and generally speaking, prefer less technical descents. Also looking for suggestions on camping for Wednesday night. Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    montananate .. I would suggest the '' Olympic Discovery Adventure Route'' for
    the all day one, you will get enough climbing in and the downhills are mellow but
    fun and flowey and not technical,the views are awesome.
    I would suggest starting at trail head off hwy. 112 right outside Port Angeles
    do the out and back, 21 miles one way.
    And for the short one do the spruce railroad trail the next morning along lake Cresent
    about 10 miles round trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hmmm, is there any elevation gain with the Spruce Railroad trail? I was thinking there was one out there that has some nice ups?

I like the sounds of the Adventure Route, easy enough to navigate? Maybe I should pick up a map? So 42 miles round trip eh, that sounds like a nice long ride, I like it! Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    the all day one, you will get enough climbing in and the downhills are mellow but
    And for the short one do the spruce railroad trail the next morning along lake Cresent

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Anyone have a favorite bike shop out that direction? I'm thinking that would be the best source for a map.

Cheers - Nate

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Anyone have a favorite bike shop out that direction? I'm thinking that would be the best source for a map.

Cheers - Nate
    Mikes bikes in sequim....
    they seem to have good info etc. for visitors,
    also for the shorter ride maybe check out anderson lake
    state park- trails or Gibbs lake.

mtbr member

I live in PA

I agree with all the other quoters. There is ample riding out here of all sorts. Most of the known ones were mentioned and there is a lot(!) of moto trails that are rideable around here that are not/have never been mapped. I build up on Dry Hill and while it has mostly been known as a DH spot, we are working on connecting existing trails to enhance the XC options. We hosted an enduro earlier in the year and just riding that route as a technical XC (trailbike suggested) is pretty sweet. A little of everything in about 12 miles.

If you end up here, "like" NW Cup on Facebook and I will do my best to connect you with people.
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

We were just in Port Townsend on the way from Bellingham to Olympia, but we didn't take time to scope out the riding scene as we didn't know we'd be considering a move to the Olympic Peninsula.

So, I have more general questions about living and working in PA, winter weather blues, backcountry ski scene, etc...

We are in the health industry and would have secure jobs, kids are college age, so this is our empty nest move. We now live in East Tennesse, tons of riding out here, but too hot and humid for me, so looking forward to cooler weather.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Lonecrow .... I FINALLY made it to the Adventure Route today, caught the 7:50am Edmonds ferry, breakfast at the Black Bear Diner, stop in at Mike's Bikes and I was on my way. THANK YOU for the recommendation! I loved it. I had the trail to myself for over 3 1/2 hours, saw some bears, and was able to take time to soak in the views. I ended up turning around 13 miles in, for a 26 mile out and back as I overestimated my bike "all day" shape this month I even made it back to Seattle for Monday Night Football!

I can't wait to make it back out again soon, will hopefully have the time to camp this next time and maybe do a trail in the morning too.

Thinking about my sore legs as I sit here, how are the Sol Duc hotsprings for post biking soaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In person interview set for Mid October, planning a family trip, taking the boy to Seattle and Olympia to see the schools, then we'll go check out PT, Sequim, and of course PA. I'm bringing a muni, gonna ride a little each day, see how things feel, hopefully we like it out on the Peninsula; not too isolated, not too cloudy.

So if we end up in PA, what's the situation for building more trails? I do some trail building where we live now, I'd like to get more "politically active", work on land owner agreements and such, is there a trail building group?

Any tips on "ideal" locations to live in PA? We have three dogs, want a nice "sunny" location, dry side of town, old house or a lot where I can build a house. Ideally I'd be close enough to ride to the trails, so is the Adventure Trail the closest trail to town?

I'm leaving some mighty fine riding behind, so I really want to find a place that has some quality trails ...

So contrasting PA/PT with other places in WA and OR, would you choose the Peninsula over Bellingham, Bend, Spokane, Ashland, ???