mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Pinegrass Ridge (and "Crazy Chasm")

This is a mellow double track route to the summit of Pinegrass ridge (6500'). The jeep trail itself is not super long but you can make a long ride out of it if you like riding forest roads. We took a side trip to what we call "Crazy Chasm" for lack of a name. Spectacular views of the Goat Rocks, Rainer and the N. Fork Tieton River Canyon and lots of sub-alpine riding.
    Music is "Common Ground" by TONY RICE

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice vid. Map?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nobody had a GPS on this one so I don't have a "Profile" to share, but I can give you road numbers. Pinegrass Ridge Rd.(signed as "Pine Tree" rd... why I don't know) is 1241 and takes off from road 1000 just a quarter mile or so from it's (road 1000's) start on the Tieton Rd. on the south side of Rimmrock Lake. About a third of the way up 1241 turns into 1204. Continue on 1204 all the way up to the "summit trail" (the jeep trail) which is signed as 699. 699 is only a mile and a half or so from the end of the road at Section Three Lake (the Bear Creek Mtn trail head). Unfortunately, it looks like the Trail Sign has been knocked down, in fact in the second clip of the vid, I think I can see it laying on the ground just to the right of the trail as we're turning onto it. The "Chasm" is just past the end of Rd.760 back down 1204 a little ways. Just walk past the end of the road a bit... and watch your step! Just so you'll know, the end of the "summit Trail" is right on the Wilderness line for the Goat Rocks. Where we're sitting taking in the view we're actually in the Wilderness, and our bikes are outside the Wilderness just 50' away or so.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Ward! May need to go check it out.

mtbr member
    Well worth it. I dunno, the beer at the rigs might have been the best part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Huanyao View Post
    Well worth it. I dunno, the beer at the rigs might have been the best part.
    Quote from my friend Coast Kid (mtbr name) over on the fat bikes forum: "My drinking club has a riding problem"