mtbr member
    Oct 2011

The Pedalist Manifesto

The Pedalist Manifesto

Join me my brothers in ending a tyranny most foul. The time has come to rise up and cast off our oppressors. The hour draws nigh. Yes, the time has come for... The Pedal Revolution!

From this day forward, the word "clipless" shall be banned from the vocabulary of all mountain biking proletariat across this vast, shred-able planet! 'Tis true our forefathers of ages long ago didst suffer untold agonies whilst subjecting themselves to strange, archaic contraptions known as "toe-clips." But with this sad fact of human misery long since past, those of us living in more enlightened times shall feel no further compunction to continue to subject ourselves to the idiotic oxy-moron of "clipping in to our clipless pedals" in order to differentiate our means of clipping in from those of the toe clippers of yore.

Yes, we must cleanse this evil from the face of the earth, and banish it to the darkest pits of hell!

From this day forward, there will be two kinds of pedals: Flats... and Clips.

Flats are pedals that are flat.

Clips are pedals you clip into. If you are one of the 0.0001% that still use toe clips, if you must, you may differentiate your type of clips as "Toe Clips" and the other kind of clips as "Sole Clips." For the rest of us, we'll just refer to the type of pedals we clip into as "Clips."

Are you with me fellow citizens?? Rise up and spread the word of truth. Our tiny spark, with nourishment, will grow into a cleansing forest fire of change. Viva la Revolucion!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chiming in for the "0.0001%'ers"... Combining modern flats w/ old school "clips". Had Vibram soles mounted on my Lake's to match. Awesome for adventure riding and I can ride my bike w/ any shoes if need be... even sandals at the beach.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nsteele I agree 100%.

I ride clips, and ride them proudly.

And Ward, I can relate...I rode toe-clips for years, long after clip pedals had taken over. I still believe there are a few reasons to ride them, albeit far outweighed by sole-clips.

"I ride soul clips, da da da da da da ! I ride soul clips, da na na na !"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

An oldie but goodie

Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Nsteele I agree 100%.

I ride clips, and ride them proudly.

And Ward, I can relate...I rode toe-clips for years, long after clip pedals had taken over. I still believe there are a few reasons to ride them, albeit far outweighed by sole-clips.

"I ride soul clips, da da da da da da ! I ride soul clips, da na na na !"
    10 years after near death, still riding clips. That's something to be proud of.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/20291

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ah the good old days when we used to write cool ride reports. Not to trivialize what happened that day though - by which I mean swimming in 5 F'in lakes in one ride !
    Joking aside, the experience described was no exaggeration, that was the closest call I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

The Pedalist Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Chiming in for the "0.0001%'ers"... Combining modern flats w/ old school "clips". Had Vibram soles mounted on my Lake's to match. Awesome for adventure riding and I can ride my bike w/ any shoes if need be... even sandals at the beach.
    That's actually pretty cool. Good Sir Ward, we will grant you special dispensation to call your Frankensteinian, flatty/toey creation whatever you see fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

The Pedalist Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post
    10 years after near death, still riding clips. That's something to be proud of.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/20291
    That's a great classic ride report!

mtbr member

Re: The Pedalist Manifesto

I recall the big "need" for clips else you might get bucked off.

I knew something was up when Art in toe clips broke one toe clip and rode like the wind that way for 6 months until the other one broke and still he remained connected to the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Nsteele. I've been "crafting" these for so long now I just call them pedals... after all, similar contraptions have transferred the power from the rider to the bike for like 100 years or more. And when the going gets real rough and many "clip out", I tie 'em up and use the flat side and I'm just a "kid" on a bike. Really, the best thing is, that my bikes all have 'em (even my commuter (especially the commuter)), which renders my bikes useful at all times- for any task... no pedal switching, no "I don't have my shoes (or the right type) so I cant take a spin on your bike", and so on... IMO, the main reason Toe Clips went "out", is because the little, narrow pedals the industry mounted them to sucked! The narrow "platform" caused the tread from even moderatly treaded footwear to hang up on the strap. Simply using a wider platform puts the strap "base" out from under the sole and minimize's that issue. I can run these a little loose and slip in or out quickly, smoothly... or crank 'em down & hammer... or as mentioned above, pedal on open flats. There's just not much out there offering such an all purpose pedal package.... that excepts ANY shoe ANYTIME.