mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Parking at Duthie Hill - Update

Hi All,
    As many of you already know, Duthie gets really busy in the spring and summer – busier than anyone predicted way back when. And unfortunately the proposed parking lot has been postponed until 2014.

Until then, PLEASE PARK AT CASCADE RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! Please DO NOT park on any of the residential streets near the school!!

Riders parking on the small residential side streets block visibility for drivers turning in and out of those roads, creating hazards for everyone – in addition to making mountain bikers appear inconsiderate. And frustrated neighbors may later not be so happy about opening more areas to biking.

Duthie is considered an example of the right way to build a mountain bike park, and we want to keep it that way. That means making sure we’re not causing problems or hazards for the local residents.

Please be considerate and park at Cascade Ridge Elementary School until that lot is full. If the lot is full, then park on Trossachs Blvd. We hope the new lot next year will help take some of the pressure off.

Thank you!

Stacy
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Work on the sidewalk along D.Hill Rd. to Trossachs intersection looks like it's going well. I'll bet it should be completed no later than next week right?

Last word is all yours...
    It does look like it's going well, but I'm not sure how much longer; seems like it's been stalled for a while (probably due to weather). I might ask the guys next time I see them working there.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I don't think concrete guys in Western Washington let rain effect them. My driveway was poured in the rain. It sure ain't smooth though.

mtbr member
    I've seen some folks park on the pulloff of Issaquah Fall City Rd., just down from where the Grand Ridge trail starts, and enter Duthie from that side; is that a major no-no?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's kind of dangerous...
    Maybe leave those spaces for people entering Grand Ridge on foot.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Really, it is indeed best not to park down on Issaquah Fall City Rd. Mountain bikers have permission to park at Cascade Elementary so that's the best spot.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    of all the reasons not to park there, that would be last on my list. In fact (if I drove to Duthie or Grand Ridge), I'd park there so that hikers would be encouraged to go elsewhere. Cougar, Squak, or most of Tiger for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    It's kind of dangerous...
    Maybe leave those spaces for people entering Grand Ridge on foot.

mtbr member
    I always park in the back on Duthie Hill Rd. Easier to park and I don't have to deal with that dangerous boardwalk/two way trail coming in. I swear I almot get slammed every time in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    I always park in the back on Duthie Hill Rd. Easier to park and I don't have to deal with that dangerous boardwalk/two way trail coming in. I swear I almot get slammed every time in there.
    If you are talking about the south side of Duthie between Duthie and Grand Ridge, that is the Old Issaquah-Fall City Road. Duthie Hill Road is the main one where the current parking lot is accessed from.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    oh yes that's right. I prefer parking back there it's so much easier.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    ...dangerous boardwalk/two way trail coming in. I swear I almot get slammed every time in there.
    Don't hesitate to remind riders to slow down on the boardwalk. It was obviously never designed for that level of traffic. Riders may scowl at you for saying it, but many will slow down or ride more carefully the next time.

Parents do walk their little kid(s) into the clearing to see their big kid(s) ride. Imagine if they'd been on the other side of the rootball on this day:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've parked back there (Issy-Fall City Rd.) before without issues, rarely do though. Most days I prefer to park on top of Soaring Eagle and ride both that and Duthie. Duthie is pretty tiny so at least this way you can get 12 mi in easy with some variety and without the parking zoo craziness going on over by Duthie. Although Soaring Eagle has also been getting busy on some days...

You could also park near Grand Ridge and ride GR and Duthie too. Plenty of options to get around not parking at Duthie itself, just need to pedal

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Don't hesitate to remind riders to slow down on the boardwalk. It was obviously never designed for that level of traffic. Riders may scowl at you for saying it, but many will slow down or ride more carefully the next time.

Parents do walk their little kid(s) into the clearing to see their big kid(s) ride. Imagine if they'd been on the other side of the rootball on this day:

The boardwalk is also a segment on Strava. It's the pretty much the definition of a "Stravass" segment.

mtbr member
    If this is truly a problem, all you have to do is narrow the boardwalk to 18" in a few key spots and everyone will slow down. A true bottleneck. Actually, that could be done with railings on top of the existing decking to make it singletrack. Then no one falls in the muck. Was being facetious at first but it's actually a viable idea.

I've never had any trouble on the boardwalk but always take it easy. I think going slow it's about a 30 second ride, so hauling the mail is only going to gain a few seconds Stravasses. And the "thrill" of railing the boardwalk has long since past.

Everyone usually behaves though in my experience. It's kind of funny to think of that section as "dangerous" considering what else is in the park.

mtbr member
    On that note, I've timed the trip to and from Cascade Ridge and it's 2-3 minutes each way cruising. About as long on the SVT at Tokul East before the climb...or getting to the start of NW Timber at Tiger...or to the start of Tapeworm from the parking lot. Not a big deal.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    On that note, I've timed the trip to and from Cascade Ridge and it's 2-3 minutes each way cruising. About as long on the SVT at Tokul East before the climb...or getting to the start of NW Timber at Tiger...or to the start of Tapeworm from the parking lot. Not a big deal.
    +1 on that, Navigator. The only trick is not getting doored by the bikers who park on Trossachs.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    ...from Cascade Ridge and it's 2-3 minutes each way cruising...Not a big deal.
    Thanks, Nav! Rode the Doofis yesterday pm and yep... the ride in from Cascade Ridge is just a quick little warm-up spin. There was only 1 car in the lot with a bike rack before we showed up at 530-ish and a couple when we left. Only a couple cars parked along Trossachs Blvd. Just want to +1 the OP... please park at Cascade Ridge.

Absolutely perfect conditions yesterday. Awesome dirt and beautiful green popping out everywhere!! Going to have to take some machetes to the sides of the boardwalk. The salmonberry is starting to block visibility. We ran into 3 people on the boardwalk... everybody was going slow and stopped for passing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Parking at Duthie Hill - Update

I'm not sure if I should make a separate topic or not, but it concerns parking at duthie, so I figured I should just put it here.

Does anyone know if parking is allowed at the LDS church this Saturday for the bike fest taking place? I was going to bring an ex-motocross racer that wanted to try mountain biking, and figured with all the demo bikes, this would be the perfect opportunity for him to try it out. Then he won't have to borrow my 20 year old AMP with a fork that doesn't work.

I know in the past the LDS church has allowed us to park there for large events, but I wasn't sure about this Saturday in particular. I expect the school parking lot to be pretty full by the time we arrived(were about 3 hours away and won't get there until 11:00 or so) and didn't think he would want to walk all of grand ridge if the school lot was full.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who know binary and those who don't

I5Troll
    Yes, parking for the Saturday festival is at the LDS church. Overflow parking is Cascade Ridge elementary.
    Map here: Location
    Event info here: Home