mtbr member
    May 2004

Park at 356th to ride T-West?

As much as I'd like to wax poetic about how the equestrians do the least amount of trail work around here and find the other thread mildly amusing, something that Navigator mentioned last week got me to thinking about parking, etc... His directions, etc for dawgman were coming from the 356th lot. I know some folks ride West from there though I never do and don't mind the ride to/from the old G&R lot across from the Fall City Grill/Resaurant/Bistro. Since parking is always such an issue there, perhaps it would be nice for those riding just West to park at the roundabout lot across from the bistro instead of at 356th? Maybe we could fit a few more horse trailers in there then and they won't be all riding Bobsled to Poopy D to Middle to Beaver pond at West then.

Bottom line: unofficial poll for riding West. How many park at 356th just to ride West versus the big lot across from the grill?

mtbr member
    We always park in the big lot for West. I'm usually with a group big enough to fill half the spots on 356th as it is.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I didn't do it
    Always across from Grill for West. Nice warmup.

EMBA Member
    I always park across from the Bistro for west, and sometimes for east too as I enjoy the roll down the SVT anyway and it doesn't take much time. If I'm doing a loop of both west and east, I always park in the big lot regardless which side I'm hitting first. Yesterday, I saw a lot of hoof holes in the new Steak House trail that leads to Bon Bon. Not good.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. Seems like the "displaced" T-East equestrians are working their way back up the hill in West. that little connector is real new and the hoof holes will be obvious until it all gets packed down like everything else in there. Nothing a shovel and a bucket can't cure. But it does suck as it was just starting to smooth out. Preliminary naming would be "Bon House" for obvious reasons. But, like "the extension", "the connector" may work as well.

mtbr member
    Started parking at 356th for West when the dude bought the access road and made trouble. Then GS got built and we started doing Tour de Tokuls periodically West to East and 356th was the center.

Of course, most of the year it's not a problem when the lot is not as busy, but I have no prob going to the other lot for West. Did it for years.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just wondering if a lot of West riders are doing that. Taking spots for East riders... Especially since the the "Duthie" feel of the lot there... Just thinking of lessening the pressure over there forthe neighbor's sake as well as the riding community.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Always park at the round aboot for west and 356th for east. have a feeling the closure of the lower trails may be part of the reason for the horse tracks on upper trails. Curious? How much time does the ride from the fall city grill to 356th parking lot take?(approximately)

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhore View Post
    How much time does the ride from the fall city grill to 356th parking lot take?(approximately)
    It takes me 9 minutes to get from the parking lot across from the Fall City Grill to the SVT. I'd guess maybe another 10 minutes to roll down the trail to the 356th parking lot.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, 20 minutes sounds about right. But, what do I know, I was apparently WAY off on the Preston road climb...
    Yeah, the lower trail McCaw (Tokul Timber LLC) property closure isn't helping matters. That, compiled with parking issues and logging at East has pushed a lot of valley equestrians to West. (Sad face...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I usually ride TW after work and at times it's a bit of PITA running the gauntlet of good ole boys jacked up on Red Bull and chaw as they tear in and out of the round-a-bout in their over leveraged over modified diesel trucks. Thus, for the last year or so, I've been parking at the TE lot, but I'll do whatever...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, we're only crossing and on the road for about, what 80 yards? But, good to know. Thanks.

EMBA Member
    I did have an experience worth mentioning on this point though which reminded me why I stopped riding my road bike several years ago. Last week I was returning to the T West parking lot. There is a right turn that heads west on the north side of the lot. I always go straight and then cross the grass to enter the parking lot. I was going along at a pretty good pace and a car sped up to get just in front of me then turned right in front of me cutting me off on that right turn. I have enough road experience that I saw it coming and hit the brakes, but it could have been bad for me. Dang - if it isn't the horses, it's the hikers or the car drivers. WTH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Park at 356th to ride T-West?

My vote of parking location will not matter since I ride Tokul from my house. I always start my Tokul riding going up the 39th St access road (known to the local old timers as the "old garbage road"). In the 15 years of riding over the bridge and up the garbage road a couple times a week, I've never had a bad driver experience while on my MTB. Yesterday's ride out...a driver actually stopped to allow us to cross the road at the horse cross walk. I've had far worse car/truck interactions while out on my road bike while riding the valley roads.
    Lower Tokul West and Griffin Creek is putting the squeeze on where folks to ride(MTB or horse) and hike.

Cheers,
    Mike