Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Related?

?Cantankerous? Sandy Ridge Trail couple arrested | KOIN.com

Complaints grew on the trailís Facebook page, something that frustrated police because people would post their run-ins with the Gathwrights on the social media page, rather than file them with the police.

mtbr member
    The truth is that it bugs me when I see dogs off there leash out on the trails. I've heard too many times "that he's friendly", "he won't bite" etc. I've been bit or aggressively snarled at to buy that response from owners. When I see a dog off a leash I stop and put the bike between me and the pooch. However I'll never snap at the owner.

my two cents....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had a few unpleasant exchanges and close calls at Duthie and Grand Ridge regarding off leash dogs. I always start off nice but the dog owner makes it nasty/weird (and I tend to respond sorta in kind, but w/e). Seattle is absolutely insane when it comes to entitlement of dogs. INSANE.

So, to the ether, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, no, your dog is a lousy trail dog, and everyone that sees your dog out on the trail thinks so too. Let's keep Fido at home.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not your fault. That woman has issues.
    The fault is in the law. This leash law/anti-dog obsession in Seattle is silly. It needs to be changed to "dogs under control at all times". As long as there are people riding horses on these trails, I'll ride with my dogs off leash. People at Paradise, even horse riders, are usually great about dogs and the culture there has been great and respectful.
    Truth be told; most horse riders that I encounter at Paradise, Grand Ridge or the Tokuls have dogs.

There are a few bad seeds out there with really bad attitudes, that's for sure. They, IMHO, are the ones ruining it.

That Release-and-Run leash looks awesome.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    You know, I hardly ever take my dog riding.

It just bugs me that people don't want to see animals in the woods (horses or dogs), and want even more rules and more enforcement. That feels more like golf or bowling than mountain biking..... but hey, to each his own I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
    Seattle is absolutely insane when it comes to entitlement of dogs. INSANE.

So, to the ether, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, no, your dog is a lousy trail dog, and everyone that sees your dog out on the trail thinks so too. Let's keep Fido at home.
    Agreed. After moving here I want to get a bumper sticker that says: "I don't give a **** about your dog."

Just roll it......
    Should dogs be at Duthie? Probably not. Other areas? If the dog is good off leash and responds well under voice control, I don't see an issue.

I'll pose a different view. I do the vast majority of my scouting and building with my dogs as do the vast majority of the builders I know. So, for those "entitled bikers" who give a disingenuous "thanks" as you ride right on by while we're doing work, but can't even take a few days off to give back to the trails, you might be riding right by the person (and their dog) that has designed, built or maintains the trail you're on. So, to that end, I don't give a sh!t about what you think about my dog on a trail that I likely spent months building. Go ride somewhere else.

EB

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Couldn't agree more. Booyah!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Those are not my dogs

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hahahaha! Reminds me of the classic "Pink Panther" schtick. "But, that is not my dog...."

mtbr member
    C'mon, everyone likes seeing Molly racing right next to my rear wheel..except that one time in Oregon, right Bob? And FM makes a good point. Molly knows most of the trails at Tokul better than most riders, even me sometimes.Paradise Valley: Warning to Off-Leash Dogs-image.jpg
    Molly, making sure I'm building her a sweet trail!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I take my dog to Tokul. It is private land, and I pay to use it. And he is absolutely under verbal control, to the point that I can let him run in front, or keep him behind me. He will follow a line of bikes in the position he is told to be in, and will not pass without permission.

That being said, I won't take him to Grand Ridge or Duthie or Paradise. Too much potential for conflict.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Paradise Valley: Warning to Off-Leash Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by IrieOutdoors View Post
    I take my dog to Tokul. And he is absolutely under verbal control, to the point that I can let him run in front, or keep him behind me. He will follow a line of bikes in the position he is told to be in, and will not pass without permission.
    My dog WILL pass you if you're riding too slow, but she always barks out a polite "on your left, bud" before passing.

Seriously, I agree Tokul and other private or remote areas = totally OK by me. I keep my dog leashed on SVT, voice control elsewhere at Tokul. No issues with anyone else ever, including horse riders. Would not take her to Duthie, Grand Ridge or any place else likely to be difficult to manage or with high conflict potential. If you are a responsible dog owner, it's not a problem. I do take her on trail building days too, and so should anyone else who wants to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2