Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Paradise Valley: Now With Less Mud

We finished our work on Red Alder today, and the trail is in outstanding condition. Not that you won't find a little mud here and there - we had to leave some mud so you would remember you were riding at Paradise.

Over the past two years we have:

Completely rebuilt the Lloyd Trail:

Built a gravel turnpike on the Mainline Trail, between Lloyd and Red Alder making this section of trail passable in winter:

Built a cedar decked ladder bridge on South Traverse just south of the bottom of Cedar Run making this section of trail passable in winter:

Built a gravel turnpike at the top of South Traverse fixing a perennially wet and muddy section of trail:

Completely rebuilt Red Alder and rebuilt just about all of the trails in the "Mountain Bike Park":

Red Alder used to be the worst trail at Paradise. Today you could have ridden the trail without fenders and come out with very little mud.

We have had 60-70 different people come out and help us with all these projects, spanning over 60 work parties, but there are a few who have really gone over and above and have put in a large number of hours:

Doug Chase, John McKechnie, Allan McKechnie and Jim Hansen

If you see these guys around make sure to thank them for their work!

We still have a few more projects planned for Paradise:

1. A few more areas of trail that need rebuilding
    2. An Eagle Scout project to take care of the wet and muddy spots on Cascara
    3. A new trail at the south end of the park that is going to get flagged in the next few weeks

If you have not been riding Paradise in the winter because it's too muddy, I'd encourage you to get out, give it a try and enjoy the work!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wednesday, for sure. IF it doesn't pour this week.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Woodway & crew - thanks for all your hard work at Paradise. I rode this afternoon and noticed today's latest work on Red Alder. That trail was my least favorite a few short years ago, and usually didn't even bother unless it was completely dry. Now thanks to your improvements it's my favorite, riding it at least twice sometimes three times each trip.

mtbr member
    It's pretty cool to see all of the improvements out there.

Thanks for the recognition, I am proud to be part of it!

mtbr member
    Inspiring leadership and supporters. A great achievement demonstrating an unflinching level of commitment.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Len and all! I should add that it's been fun to initiate Len as a member of the Paradise Trail Crew this year!

mtbr member
    We were riding out there yesterday morning too, first time I've been out there in a long time. Trails looked great for winter, couldn't believe how much better Red Alder was. Great job guys!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I have to get back there and check it out this year. It looks like strong work!
    Rolland

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Thanks Len and all! I should add that it's been fun to initiate Len as a member of the Paradise Trail Crew this year!
    Wow, such awesome progress. Way to document it too.....I know a lot of us forget to do that stuff in the interest of just gettin'r done.

Slowly, but surely, our user group is not only showing the muscle power, but also the building expertise we bring to the table to our land managers.

In a weird way, I kind of look at how we've had to scratch and claw for our own trail networks (authorized or not) because of the demand and I really think that's imparted a strong trail building ethos in our mt. biking community.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rode all over there the evening and one can really tell the difference on Red Alder. Virtually dry from start to finish even after the rain this morning. Planning on walking some of the other trails with a shovel soon to clear some drains. Some puddles are DEEP. But, overall in really good end of winter/early spring condition. Thanks again all.

mtbr member
    Rode with Borneo and have to agree with him. R.A. is sooooo much better now and you really see the difference as soon as you get on Two Trees and hit a puddle every 20 feet. You realize very quickly that is how R.A used to be.

We also rode the bike park and it is very obvious where the work was done (and not done) on those loops

mtbr member
    Talking about done and not done, come out this sunny weekend and help build new trail at T. west (sorry, only way to post is by hijacking this thread ).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I might add, an approved by Hancock to build, new trail at West.

Really, back on thread, it seems like most of the other trails just need a shovel to clear drains and they would be a lot better and this was right after the torrential rains yesterday morning. All, in all, in really good shape. I am convinced now that Woodway's plan to re-route the deep old RR grade section of Cascara is appropriate. It's pretty bad in there. At least the twig and fern frond trail worker hasn't been busy as of late.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    As Borneo says, the other trails should not require the kind of heavy work we had to put into Red Alder (and Lloyd). A few spots left on the plateau (Mountain Bike Park) and a few spots on Two Trees where it follows the old trail bed need heavy work. But the rest should just need a little shovel work to open up the drains. We have been so focused on Red Alder, we just have not had time to maintain the other trails in the park.

Pretty sure I have a scout committed to working the old Cascara RR grade for his eagle project!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Even less mud now. Great job guys on lower Cascara tonight. Still amazing to see the difference between Red Alder now and Ephemeral.
    Lower Morning Cedar Wood Run needs some love. Otherwise in great shape. Even with the passing shower at the start.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks to a whole bunch of volunteers, we took care of even more muddy spots on Cascara today.

This was the main target, very swampy spot at the bottom of Cascara just before the intersection with Mainline and Lloyd trail.

We also built re-routes around those two big mud holes on the railroad grade section of Cascara and built a turnpike over a muddy section of the Mainline.

Big thanks to Doug Carroll who came out and lead the charge on the re-routes!

This was Hollan's Eagle Scout project. He rounded up donations, planned the project and recruited over 20 volunteers and organized the work today. Nice job Hollan!

mtbr member

Re: Paradise Valley: Now With Less Mud

What a logistical effort in materials movement requiring those 20 volunteers and getting it done.

Give that young man his eagle ranking!

mtbr member
    Wish my eagle scout project would have been that much fun!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The "dumber downers" are at it again....

I keed, I keed!

Interested to see the RR grade re-routes too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Woodway, the new work is really evident. Was out this am introducing PVCA to my grandson (who loved it) and really looking forward to the final closing of those 2 awful mud wallows on Cascara. We brushed the very bottom of Two Trees for about 15 min. to get rid of the worst of the nettles, but only had a folding saw. Pure hero dirt right now, thanks for a great ride and family occasion!

mtbr member
    I was out there yesterday and it was amazing, my buddy and I both commented that it was the best we'd ever seen Paradise. Sadly, he went OTB off the big drop at the bottom of Cedar Run and we thought broke his collarbone. Huge bump, nasty looking, and then a long walk out to the truck. Luckily it was only a bruise with abnormal swelling, but he's still beat up pretty bad.

Shame, it was a great day otherwise, first time I was really feeling fast on some of those trails (first ride on a rebuilt fork and shock never hurts either).
    Tarekith.com

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Glad you all enjoyed the work. I'll be putting a brushing party onto the calendar in a couple weeks. Tarekith hope your buddy is OK. Thanks for taking some time to brush Tom!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thank you so much, Woodway, for all your hard work on those trails!! And all the trail gnomes!!

My wife and I are somewhat new to WA. We rode those last year and I'll be honest, I wasn't that thrilled- it was super muddy, rooty and nasty.
    But we've ridden it a few times this year and thought "wow, that was pretty cool..."
    Great trails- keep up the great work!
    And kudos to the (hopefully) Eagle Scout for his contribution- way cooler than my dumb ol' Eagle Scout project.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow great upgrades to the trail! I'd love to check this trail out!