Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Paradise Valley Cleanup

Well, the place was a mess when we arrived and we left it better than we found it. But there is still plenty more to do. We cleared Cascara, Mainline, South Traverse and Lloyd. Several riders told me that Red Alder is unpassable and there are trees down on Two Trees, Ephemeral and the right hand loop on the plateau.

Three general observations for those who are riding in areas being cleaned up (all of these happened to me today):

1. When a guy is bucking a tree with a chainsaw and he is wearing hearing protection, don't walk right up behind him such that when he finishes bucking the tree and turns around you are standing about two feet from him. Especially not when he is holding a running chainsaw.

2. If you want to chat up a guy who has just dropped, limbed and bucked a tree that moments before had been blocking the trail, consider getting off your bike and helping him drag a few limbs or rounds off the trail while you are chatting. Especially when your chat lasts for ten minutes...

3. When you see a guy with a chainsaw cutting a tree that is hung on another tree, don't ride up and stop right under the tree being cut.

Heres a few pics from today. Thanks John, Alan and especially Nancy who brought her three sons to help today.

Plugged drain meant flooded mainline trail:

Lot's of trees down!

After I cut the rest of the tree away, this part was still wedged between two other trees, it was hard to get out, so I left it.

Big old tree, rotten to the core.
    Last edited by woodway; 01-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    I would have come up right behind and asked when are you going to have this all clear? I need to get a ride in.

But seriously, I am amazed at how many riders are not out helping clean up our trails. it doesn't happen on it's own.

Hope to be out there tomorrow with the Stihl.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Finishing the cleanup effort next saturday:

Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I can get out this week and walk the trails after work with a saw and shovel if you know what has been not worked on yet. PM me with confirmation on the South end tool stash.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    But seriously, I am amazed at how many riders are not out helping clean up our trails. it doesn't happen on it's own.
    All those pesky trees are getting in the way of their ride time! Can't you get them cleared sooner? Jeesh!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We had a great turnout today - thanks everyone for coming out. Knocked out the rest of the trails in no time! All the trails at Paradise are clear and open for riding. Red Alder is typically wet. Well, really wet, almost hub deep in places. We are going to start working on fixing that very soon. Everything else is in pretty good shape.
    Last edited by woodway; 02-04-2012 at 07:06 PM.