Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Paradise Valley

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Off and running on Red Alder building on the work we started last year. We had a good work party last weekend and have another one scheduled for Sunday. This type of trail rehab is pretty straightforward, and pretty rewarding - it's really easy to see the immediate impact of your efforts. Any help is appreciated!

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Busy day at Paradise Valley. We had a crew out working on the plateau and Red Alder and we saw many riding groups out enjoying the day. Trails are in decent condition for mid-winter.

Were currently focused on the worst holes on the two "Mountain Bike Park" loops and today we moved a whole bunch of gravel up onto Red Alder in order to continue rehabbing the trail.

Thanks Jim, Doug, Sean and John for coming out today!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Saw a FB post of a very flooded Southern Traverse today. Good thing we have that bridge now. (Thumbs up!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Glad we were able to make moving gravel a little easier.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Man, this post is getting long....

Solid day out there. Ran the blower for 5 hours and PO'd plenty of dog walkers and hikers. But, about a 3rd is leaf free and down to the good dirt. In fairness, some did say thank you as they went by...
    Woodway et al hauled and toted a lot of gravel to the south end of Red Alder. Not many bikers out. Get some. Overall, trails are in great shape. PSA: An equestrian went up Cedar Run recently. If anyone sees them do it AGAIN, please ask if they can read the "No Horses" sign from way up in the saddle...
    Nice to see the Southern Traverse bridge working well. The water down there is almost up to the rungs!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Bob for running the blower over the trails today. Some question the value of blowing off trails but as one who has spent hours and hours examining trail conditions from the end of a McLeod, I think it's worth the effort.

We moved yards of gravel to Red Alder - thanks Jimba, John and Sean for the help today!

Sunday we are back to fixing Red Alder. We have made it maybe 1/3 of the way down the trail, but with all the material we need at hand, repairs should go fast. Any and all help appreciated:

Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    Woodway (and crew) and Borneo, thanks for all the work! Rode Paradise the last two days and was really impressed with all the work. Red Alder, virually no mud, and really appreciated how all the trails had been cleaned of leaves. Just wanted to say thanks.
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We are making great progress on Red Alder, we've rebuilt quite a bit of the trail (marked in RED in the map below). It's satisfying to see the progress, cleaning up deep mud holes, creating positive drainage and taking the time to rebuild the trail right so that it will need only light maintenance in future years.

Jimba, Doug, John and Sean helped to move yards of material onto the trail a few weeks ago using an ATV/trailer and Evergreen's Power Toter (thanks Mike/Tyler for the toter loan!):

The last couple of weeks Doug, Len, Anthony and Brian have been helping to reconstruct the tread.

We have quite a few more workparties before the trail reconstruction is complete. We are taking next weekend off, but expect to pickup the following sunday, and welcome any and all help.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice job guys! Getting there!

mtbr member

Great work!

Thanks everyone for your work, looks great!

I5Troll
    Awesome progress. Thanks for the updates and thanks for all the hard work. Wasn't Sunday just the ideal NW winter dig day! ...Just a few sprinkles here and there, cool but not freezing temps.

mtbr member
    It was ideal riding too!
    I actual prefer trail work in the rain. I'm crazy like that.

I love seeing all the progress at PV. We use to avoid it all winter, but I may have to hit it up real soon.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Awesome progress. Thanks for the updates and thanks for all the hard work. Wasn't Sunday just the ideal NW winter dig day! ...Just a few sprinkles here and there, cool but not freezing temps.
    Indeed a classic Northwest trailwork day! Right now soil conditions are just about perfect for tread reconstruction - it's easy to see where the bad spots are and there is just the right amount of moisture in the native dirt coming out of the borrow pits for it to pack and consolidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I love seeing all the progress at PV. We use to avoid it all winter, but I may have to hit it up real soon.
    The secret is getting out...Paradise is not the muddy mess it once was. Sure, there are still bad spots (and we'll eventually kill them). The last two weekends the parking lot has been full and overflowing with people parking on the street and we have had streams of bikers, hikers and joggers coming by.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Been looking at some of the Paradise Valley rides on Strava. There's lot's of poaching going on out there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Another reason I don't use any of that e-lec-tronic schtuff on my rides...

Which one is getting the most, uh, traffic? Big Leaf?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    trying to picture the type that would post a poached trail to Strava.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Probably the dude in a proper team kit repeatedly failed to yield to my pregnant wife and I out hiking on big leaf this past summer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hence the "Stravasses" moniker.... Love that term.

Don't see tracks much on Forest Ridge but you do on Big Leaf.

Don't get why folks do that either. Hopefully the county or the ever watchful Water Tenders don't think to look at Strava. That could be bad.

mtbr member
    is it really any worse than horses riding Cedar Run?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode Paradise yesterday (more or less all of it, some twice). Everything seems to be holding up pretty well. There is a pretty big blow down blocking part of Red Alder (the shorter, second section furthest away from the parking lot), see pics below of the ride and the blow down (in case it makes it easier to figure out what tools are needed to clear). Love riding that place!

The blowdown:

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the pics and report jalm111. We plan to be out working this weekend and will take care of the blowdown.

I love the pic of the bridge on South Traverse. That's exactly how I imagined it would work when we conceived putting the bridge there.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

If anyone feels like coming out to help it's always appreciated. If the ground is still too frozen, we will likely bail for another week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I love the pic of the bridge on South Traverse. That's exactly how I imagined it would work when we conceived putting the bridge there.
    The bridge worked flawlessly. Slippery and icy so riding it was definitely interesting, especially because falling meant a nice cold icy shower

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Despite the crappy weather, we saw a fair number of riders at Paradise Valley yesterday.

About 2/3 of Red Alder has been rebuilt at this point. The work from earlier this year that has had a chance to "season" is holding up well, but the cold and frost this month seems to have undone most of our work from two weekends ago. It looks like the moisture in the native soil we used to reshape the tread froze and opened up the soil we had compacted and when the rains came this week everything turned to mush. At least that the best theory Len and I could come up with...

We spent yesterday fixing a really, really deep water hole at the low spot on the trail. Thanks Len, John, Alan and Grant for coming out! We should be posting another WP for this sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Woodway, not to be a downer, but don't you think the equestrians will have some issues with eco-blocks in the middle of the trail? Maybe it should have been off to the side???

mtbr member
    Grant is standing in exit of pony path.
    Great ditch digging and paver placing.
    Ride it then report please...

On freeze thaw:
    Gary Klein reported at capital it was worst trail situation way back...
    Alaska closes trails in the annual thaw...
    Looks like any moisture in semi compacted dirt expands busting up any compaction then when its unfrozen moisture was able to find its way into the decompacted.

A little disappointing let's say 20%...
    But the effort is 100% making forward progress.

Nice work on the pavers Brian.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast