Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paradise Valley

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice looking ride!

FWIW, we are going to be building another turnpike soon, this one at the top of the Southern Traverse, where it drops into the clearing (the Cathedral) at the south end of the Lloyd Trail. There is a full-time muddy/wet/lake section of trail there that we are going to take care of. Snohomish County is providing the gravel, and a bunch of Microsoft folks are coming out as part of the "Day of Caring" to provide the labor. Slowly we are drying the place out so that it will be rideable year-round.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the bike comment! Jenson was blowing out Rocky bikes for crazy cheap the last few weeks, figured after almost 8 years it was time for new bike

The work you guys did on Lloyd's made a huge difference to making it dry. Keep us informed when the work party is, and hopefully if work allows I can come out and lend a hand this time.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Someone tore out half of the ramp that replaced the teeter on Lloyd's. It seemed obvious that it was intentional, there were wood fragments laying where it had been and the section that was removed was tossed into the woods. Attempted to rebuild it last night but without proper tools it was not possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Someone tore out half of the ramp that replaced the teeter on Lloyd's. It seemed obvious that it was intentional, there were wood fragments laying where it had been and the section that was removed was tossed into the woods. Attempted to rebuild it last night but without proper tools it was not possible.
    Could it have been broken by someone riding it and smacking it hard or falling across it? Just wondering, because if it broke with me on it, I may toss the pieces into the woods!

mtbr member
    It looked trashed on purpose to me too, it's in a lot of little pieces.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    It looked trashed on purpose to me too, it's in a lot of little pieces.
    Sometimes, my own optimism surprises me. I am a huge cynic and pessimist about most things. Maybe I'm on an "up" day for my latent bipolar disorder?

mtbr member
    Unfortunate, rode well on Saturday.

Someone must have not negotiated it, and ripped off their derailleur or bent a rotor?
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maday View Post
    Unfortunate, rode well on Saturday.

Someone must have not negotiated it, and ripped off their derailleur or bent a rotor?
    That's my guess. Couldn't negotiate it so they destroyed it. If it were an "anti-bike" statement I would think they would have torn both sides out. Maybe it was meant as a trap though? At any rate it doesn't matter, I would volunteer to go fix it but I won't have time until next week.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I built the original ramp by splitting a log into two halves. It was a hefty log and there is no way that it broke under the weight of someone riding. They could have weighed 600lbs and that sucker would have held.

There is a ride-around option for those who don't want to negotiate the ramp, not sure why someone would get mad at it. But then again, I have seen plenty of crazy stuff out there...

I'll be out at the park this weekend getting some things ready for the turnpike we are going to build on South Traverse, and will head over there and fix the damage. I've got another log stashed that I can split.

Still talking to the County about a replacement teeter, BTW. Our guy at the County is busy on another project and has not been able to talk to risk management about it yet. Long-term, would like to get a teeter reinstalled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My fiancee and I have been riding PV and Lord Hill a ton since moving to the area. We'd love to get in on one of the work parties so we can give back a bit on one of the trails we ride the most.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No thread jack intended. But, how is Lord Hill riding now? I have not been there yet this year but used to ride and work on the trails there all the time. I assume the trail down to the river is loaded with black berrys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I built the original ramp by splitting a log into two halves. It was a hefty log and there is no way that it broke under the weight of someone riding. They could have weighed 600lbs and that sucker would have held.

I hate to say it but the last time I was out, a chunk had come off were the timber locks had been drilled in and one the those 6" bolts was sticking up in a scary way. It was looking too sketchy to ride on Sunday. I though to myself that I should drop a line to Crowley about it but it slipped my mind until reading this thread.

Someone may have done us all a favor by setting the ramp to the side if it had gotten any worse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    No thread jack intended. But, how is Lord Hill riding now? I have not been there yet this year but used to ride and work on the trails there all the time. I assume the trail down to the river is loaded with black berrys.
    I don't really have any reference as we just moved to the area this summer, so I can't compare it to it's past condition.

Compared to Paradise Valley the most of the trails are a lot buffer, with no logs, roots, or rock gardens to speak of. Most of the singletrack could do with a bit of weed whacking though. The trails off of west view have TONS of nettle's last time I rode them (it's been a couple weeks since we went up that way though), as well as most trails have at least a few overhanging nettle's so you get hit at least once or twice a ride.. The trails by the river where really primitive seeming when we tried to get down there once. It was bad enough that we turned back about halfway in.

Temple pond loop is pretty great, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to be on there as one side is labeled as hiker only even though the map shows it as muli-use.

Someone cut a bunch of...not on the map trails...trails as well, but those are really really hit or miss on whether they are worth riding.
    Last edited by druidjaidan; 08-30-2012 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks! Yeah, I've heard of the new trails. Temple is legal. That sign was one that just never got taken down when the county opened the park. In the vein of the PV thread, Lord Hill is the next place the county wants us to get involved with in building more bike specific trails. Since they like what Woodway et al are doing at PV so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks! Yeah, I've heard of the new trails. Temple is legal. That sign was one that just never got taken down when the county opened the park. In the vein of the PV thread, Lord Hill is the next place the county wants us to get involved with in building more bike specific trails. Since they like what Woodway et al are doing at PV so much.
    I look forward to it and would love to help when the time comes. It seems to me there is a lot of room for more trails to be cut on Lord Hill, and it has more climbing potential than PV so I kinda like that.

PV is absolutely amazing with it's more technical riding, but Lord Hill could be equally as good if not better IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Definately a much better evening view from the top of the rock there. The cool thing about LH is that it's the core of an extinct volcano and there is a lot of exposed rock to play on in the woods out there. And, definately more vert.

More horses though too....

Woodway asked a while back for folks that would be interested in being in a LH recreation planning pool. May not be a bad idea since it's one of your go to places. You should PM him for intel or coordinate a ride so he can download a lot of what is happening at both places. None of it bad, for us....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I talked to one of the Sno parks guys about LH just a week or so ago. Parks is still interested in creating an overall master plan for LH (like what was done at PVCA), but it's a lower priority than the parks that are being funded with Brightwater mitigation money (including the proposed Wellington Hills County Park). So that's on hold for at least another year.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    It's fixed. Enjoy.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    How do you turn this:

Into this:

In four hours?

You get a bunch of "kids" and their boss from Microsoft to come out with wheelbarrows! Thanks to Mike, Jan, Norindi, Sean, Max and Brandon we were able to build a turnpike over a chronically wet and muddy spot at the top of Southern Traverse:

And thanks to Microsoft for giving everyone the day off the give something back to the community.

One less wet and muddy spot to ride through at Paradise this winter.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome. Just what we envisioned I believe. Was there any left over for the Crossover side of that part?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Not much. Just a few wheelbarrows full.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rats, some is better than none though. Did you get that detailed topo yet?

(May be time to start a 2012-2013 off season trail work page too. This one's getting a little long...)

mtbr member
    Last Sunday we went to PV for the first in about 18 months. Every time we had rode PV prior it was a muddy swampy ride. Since it hasnt rained in forever we figured it would be dry and I really wanted to see all the new work.

We rode a few hours and loved it! Roots are so much easier when dry, and I was finally able to attack the skinnies without fear of slipping off.

We plan on going back again real soon and the 3 guys I was with all wanted to say "thank you" to all those who have help build up a great place to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    More to come too!

Interesting side note; The second picture in this thread is Jimba at the first clean up of the area in the last two pictures in this thread. It's come a long way....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Kcked off winter trail work at Paradise today

Thanks Doug and J for coming out to help today.

We worked on a chronic trouble spot on Red Alder...near the north end of the trail where a seasonal stream crosses and forms a 20' wide muddy lake across the trail. The trail does not look bad in this photo, but by January the stream will be flowing, the water will be six to eight inches deep with another six inches of mud below just waiting to suck your wheel in:

We thought about laddering over this spot, but the county does not want any structures on this trail. We looked for a re-route, but the topography does not serve up any decent options, so we decided dig out the low spot to remove the muck and install turf stones for armoring:

We fixed the drainage channel so the stream should flow right over the top of the turf stones without pooling. We filled the turf stones with a native soil/gravel mixture and transplanted ferns to narrow up the trail. The end result looks good and should be much more enjoyable to ride this winter.

Will be posting another Red Alder work party for next weekend if you are interested in helping out!
    Last edited by woodway; 10-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Off and running on Red Alder building on the work we started last year. We had a good work party last weekend and have another one scheduled for Sunday. This type of trail rehab is pretty straightforward, and pretty rewarding - it's really easy to see the immediate impact of your efforts. Any help is appreciated!

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Busy day at Paradise Valley. We had a crew out working on the plateau and Red Alder and we saw many riding groups out enjoying the day. Trails are in decent condition for mid-winter.

Were currently focused on the worst holes on the two "Mountain Bike Park" loops and today we moved a whole bunch of gravel up onto Red Alder in order to continue rehabbing the trail.

Thanks Jim, Doug, Sean and John for coming out today!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Saw a FB post of a very flooded Southern Traverse today. Good thing we have that bridge now. (Thumbs up!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Glad we were able to make moving gravel a little easier.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Man, this post is getting long....

Solid day out there. Ran the blower for 5 hours and PO'd plenty of dog walkers and hikers. But, about a 3rd is leaf free and down to the good dirt. In fairness, some did say thank you as they went by...
    Woodway et al hauled and toted a lot of gravel to the south end of Red Alder. Not many bikers out. Get some. Overall, trails are in great shape. PSA: An equestrian went up Cedar Run recently. If anyone sees them do it AGAIN, please ask if they can read the "No Horses" sign from way up in the saddle...
    Nice to see the Southern Traverse bridge working well. The water down there is almost up to the rungs!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Bob for running the blower over the trails today. Some question the value of blowing off trails but as one who has spent hours and hours examining trail conditions from the end of a McLeod, I think it's worth the effort.

We moved yards of gravel to Red Alder - thanks Jimba, John and Sean for the help today!

Sunday we are back to fixing Red Alder. We have made it maybe 1/3 of the way down the trail, but with all the material we need at hand, repairs should go fast. Any and all help appreciated:

Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    Woodway (and crew) and Borneo, thanks for all the work! Rode Paradise the last two days and was really impressed with all the work. Red Alder, virually no mud, and really appreciated how all the trails had been cleaned of leaves. Just wanted to say thanks.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We are making great progress on Red Alder, we've rebuilt quite a bit of the trail (marked in RED in the map below). It's satisfying to see the progress, cleaning up deep mud holes, creating positive drainage and taking the time to rebuild the trail right so that it will need only light maintenance in future years.

Jimba, Doug, John and Sean helped to move yards of material onto the trail a few weeks ago using an ATV/trailer and Evergreen's Power Toter (thanks Mike/Tyler for the toter loan!):

The last couple of weeks Doug, Len, Anthony and Brian have been helping to reconstruct the tread.

We have quite a few more workparties before the trail reconstruction is complete. We are taking next weekend off, but expect to pickup the following sunday, and welcome any and all help.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice job guys! Getting there!

mtbr member

Great work!

Thanks everyone for your work, looks great!

I5Troll
    Awesome progress. Thanks for the updates and thanks for all the hard work. Wasn't Sunday just the ideal NW winter dig day! ...Just a few sprinkles here and there, cool but not freezing temps.

mtbr member
    It was ideal riding too!
    I actual prefer trail work in the rain. I'm crazy like that.

I love seeing all the progress at PV. We use to avoid it all winter, but I may have to hit it up real soon.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Awesome progress. Thanks for the updates and thanks for all the hard work. Wasn't Sunday just the ideal NW winter dig day! ...Just a few sprinkles here and there, cool but not freezing temps.
    Indeed a classic Northwest trailwork day! Right now soil conditions are just about perfect for tread reconstruction - it's easy to see where the bad spots are and there is just the right amount of moisture in the native dirt coming out of the borrow pits for it to pack and consolidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I love seeing all the progress at PV. We use to avoid it all winter, but I may have to hit it up real soon.
    The secret is getting out...Paradise is not the muddy mess it once was. Sure, there are still bad spots (and we'll eventually kill them). The last two weekends the parking lot has been full and overflowing with people parking on the street and we have had streams of bikers, hikers and joggers coming by.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Been looking at some of the Paradise Valley rides on Strava. There's lot's of poaching going on out there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Another reason I don't use any of that e-lec-tronic schtuff on my rides...

Which one is getting the most, uh, traffic? Big Leaf?

FM
    mtbr member
    trying to picture the type that would post a poached trail to Strava.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Probably the dude in a proper team kit repeatedly failed to yield to my pregnant wife and I out hiking on big leaf this past summer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hence the "Stravasses" moniker.... Love that term.

Don't see tracks much on Forest Ridge but you do on Big Leaf.

Don't get why folks do that either. Hopefully the county or the ever watchful Water Tenders don't think to look at Strava. That could be bad.

mtbr member
    is it really any worse than horses riding Cedar Run?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode Paradise yesterday (more or less all of it, some twice). Everything seems to be holding up pretty well. There is a pretty big blow down blocking part of Red Alder (the shorter, second section furthest away from the parking lot), see pics below of the ride and the blow down (in case it makes it easier to figure out what tools are needed to clear). Love riding that place!

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=83F684D32933B3D2&resid=83F684D32933B3D2% 214368&authkey=ALsvao-WSNz4f0E" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    <iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=83F684D32933B3D2&resid=83F684D32933B3D2% 214365&authkey=ACkWleW65M9awRw" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    <iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=83F684D32933B3D2&resid=83F684D32933B3D2% 214372&authkey=AL36ixZzA3dcQSk" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

The blowdown:
    <iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=83F684D32933B3D2&resid=83F684D32933B3D2% 214373&authkey=ALLjKRx4V2MV4hA" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    <iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=83F684D32933B3D2&resid=83F684D32933B3D2% 214374&authkey=AOOpkmGM4RNp7Pc" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the pics and report jalm111. We plan to be out working this weekend and will take care of the blowdown.

I love the pic of the bridge on South Traverse. That's exactly how I imagined it would work when we conceived putting the bridge there.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

If anyone feels like coming out to help it's always appreciated. If the ground is still too frozen, we will likely bail for another week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I love the pic of the bridge on South Traverse. That's exactly how I imagined it would work when we conceived putting the bridge there.
    The bridge worked flawlessly. Slippery and icy so riding it was definitely interesting, especially because falling meant a nice cold icy shower

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Despite the crappy weather, we saw a fair number of riders at Paradise Valley yesterday.

About 2/3 of Red Alder has been rebuilt at this point. The work from earlier this year that has had a chance to "season" is holding up well, but the cold and frost this month seems to have undone most of our work from two weekends ago. It looks like the moisture in the native soil we used to reshape the tread froze and opened up the soil we had compacted and when the rains came this week everything turned to mush. At least that the best theory Len and I could come up with...

We spent yesterday fixing a really, really deep water hole at the low spot on the trail. Thanks Len, John, Alan and Grant for coming out! We should be posting another WP for this sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Woodway, not to be a downer, but don't you think the equestrians will have some issues with eco-blocks in the middle of the trail? Maybe it should have been off to the side???

mtbr member
    Grant is standing in exit of pony path.
    Great ditch digging and paver placing.
    Ride it then report please...

On freeze thaw:
    Gary Klein reported at capital it was worst trail situation way back...
    Alaska closes trails in the annual thaw...
    Looks like any moisture in semi compacted dirt expands busting up any compaction then when its unfrozen moisture was able to find its way into the decompacted.

A little disappointing let's say 20%...
    But the effort is 100% making forward progress.

Nice work on the pavers Brian.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode across the pavers today on Red Alder. Well placed, Thank You!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Frost heave.

Nice work guys!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Woodway, not to be a downer, but don't you think the equestrians will have some issues with eco-blocks in the middle of the trail? Maybe it should have been off to the side???
    Hard to see in the photo, but the pavers are off to the side. We made a nice little horsey path to the right of them.

When we started work on the spot, both Grant and Len (the two in the front) would have been standing in water.

Will need more work once things dry out a bit, but at least now we can ride through this spot without submerging our hubs in water.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We came across a new trail gnome on Red Alder today:

Next time you ride the trail see if you can find him.

Speaking of Red Alder, Doug, John, Josh and myself were out working today. We are almost to the intersection with Big Leaf. Red Alder is looking great. If you have not been riding the trail due to mud, go out and give it a try - I think you will like what you see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12